Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

So New York and New Jersey can relax social distancing sooner than Florida? I'm not buying that. I'm not arguing that Florida should be moved up but it seems that, at a minimum, NY and NJ should be in the same date range as FL. The NYC metro area has almost half of all cases in the U.S.

...and is well past its peak...

Nuance.

electric

So New York and New Jersey can relax social distancing sooner than Florida? I'm not buying that. I'm not arguing that Florida should be moved up but it seems that, at a minimum, NY and NJ should be in the same date range as FL. The NYC metro area has almost half of all cases in the U.S.

This basically rules out any June opening at all

ImperfectPixie

Social Distancing was used during the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918. Cities that did more social distancing (earlier and longer) had lower death rates.

Relaxing of social distancing (and international travel of troops returning From Europe) led to a more deadly second wave:
I was quite stunned yesterday when I learned that my mother didn't know about the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. She'd never heard of it.

jmp85

Ole' reliable, the IHME model.

easyrowrdw

Ventilators are a serious problem with Covid. The use of ventilators is showing to have negative clinical outcomes. Best practice is to place patient in prone position to take body weight off of lungs. The U.S. does not have a ventilator shortage.

Yeah, I'd seen that. This is a research article that lays out some recommendations on using (and not using) ventilators. Everything is changing so fast so there's obviously not going to be clinical trials yet. One thing I noticed was they recommend prone positioning at least 16 hours or more per day. Here's a write-up on it that includes what some other hospitals are doing in this area.

Slpy3270

Disney hasn't even posted earnings yet and already S&P is downgrading their credit rating out of pure speculation. Idiotic IMO.

CLEtoWDW

Disney hasn't even posted earnings yet and already S&P is downgrading their credit rating out of pure speculation.
That’s the financial markets in a nutshell. Always forward looking and pricing in the worst case scenario. Yet another reason Disney needs to open ASAP to get their revenues back on track.

Jrb1979

Disney hasn't even posted earnings yet and already S&P is downgrading their credit rating out of pure speculation.
Disney is closed so the earnings will be very low and they just opened a 5 billion line of credit. All of that justifies the downgrading.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney hasn't even posted earnings yet and already S&P is downgrading their credit rating out of pure speculation. Idiotic IMO.
That’s the financial markets in a nutshell. Always forward looking and pricing in the worst case scenario. Yet another reason Disney needs to open ASAP to get their revenues back on track.
Disney is closed so the earnings will be very low and they just opened a 5 billion line of credit. All of that justifies the downgrading.
Downgraded from A to A- so still in the middle tier of investment grade. They would need to drop 4 more levels before dropping out of investment grade altogether. S&P doesn’t need to see the earnings release to know there’s a potential negative outlook. Disney took on more debt at a time when their cash flows are going to be down for sure.

The earnings they will be releasing soon are for their 2nd quarter through March 31 so they will only reflect 2 weeks of the shutdowns so 85% of the earnings are not directly impacted. You won’t get much of a feel for the impact in this quarter’s release. Q3 at 6/30 and the 10K at 9/30 will show the full impact. I am curious to see if they impair any assets (especially the cruise ships) and if they update guidance for full year what that will look like. There’s no hiding the bad news in this case.

jmp85

None of the Models have really been incorrect...it’s The volume and trajectory that has varied higher or lower.

But that’s why they’re called “models”...not “non-fiction books”

I built a model of an F-14 when I was a kid...but I couldn’t jump into it and fly it off my roof. It was a representation.

No, they've been wrong. The IMHE was consistently outside of the 95% confidence intervals early on, although it's been slightly better as they've been incorporating new/actual data. In order to build an accurate model, you need good data. The problem is we don't have much of that right now. Their methodology has not been made public, but they are clearly including variables related to the impacts of social distancing. Do you believe that we can currently measure the impact of social distancing? Let's remember that they're also making these projections at the state level. That means, they really need a variable or a proxy variable to represent the impact of social distancing in a given state. Maybe it's the best we can currently do, but that doesn't change the fact that forecasting at the national level, much less the state level, is currently a near impossible task.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, they've been wrong. The IMHE was consistently outside of the 95% confidence intervals early on, although it's been slightly better as they've incorporating new/actual data. In order to build an accurate model, you need good data. The problem is we don't know much of that right now. Their methodology has not been made public, but they are clearly including variables related to the impacts of social distancing. Do you believe that we can currently measure the impact of social distancing? Let's remember that they're also making these projections at the state level. That means, they really need a variable or a proxy variable to represent the impact of social distancing in a given state. Maybe it's the best we can currently do, but that doesn't change the fact that forecasting at the national level, much less the state level, is currently a near impossible task.
So you’re saying they couldn’t build the model without the data, there was no data, so how could they build the model wrong?

I don’t know...I get your points but I think it’s semantics...

Raw counts were way high...but the curves/trajectories have been still close to dead on. That’s what has a practical effect on all of us...does it not?

Incomudro

None of the Models have really been incorrect...it’s The volume and trajectory that has varied higher or lower.

But that’s why they’re called “models”...not “non-fiction books”

I built a model of an F-14 when I was a kid...but I couldn’t jump into it and fly it off my roof. It was a representation.

But it looked like an F-14, and not a Cessna.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What on earth?!?

The financial markets are ALWAYS exaggerating to make more money out of air...usually its on the high side.

The unemployment numbers have been “predicted” 30% low each of the last 5 weeks...intentionally.

Nobody downplays bad news more than the investors.

Yes...sometimes on the low side too...when they can make money from dumps.

None of this is mysterious.

Not exactly advanced calculus to guess that a huge business that is probably 2/3 frozen isn’t doing too well, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom