Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

I dont disagree, though many executives have probably worked their way up in life and maybe manned a grill at some point.
I dont know a ton about Abigailand I dont necessarily disagree with her which is why I posted it. But just because she is related to someone who was once important to the company and how it was run, it doesnt mean she get thoughts on it hold any more weight than yours are mine.

True. To be fair Iger started out at very low level job at ABC...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A private business can refuse service to anybody as long as it is not based on race, color, creed, gender, age or sexual orientation. They can discriminate against residents of a state or multiple states all they want.
...ok now YOU need a timeout.

Are you seriously saying Disney would open its parks and lock off the northeast, upper Midwest and west coast?

I mean...have you never bothered to look at where their business comes from? Not once in the month long self appointed analyst routine?

Come on...do better than this.

Perhaps a limited Florida resident trial run...perhaps that could be sold. Nothing more.

Try keeping people for New York, New Jersey, Pa and Massachusetts out of wdw....good luck

Last edited:

MaximumEd

Sorry, Ed...I was agreeing with you thought heightened mocking of the obvious...

“The price of gas won’t stay low”...of course not...because Is manipulated. I’m just pointing out how 90% of self identified “capitalists”...like disney fans...don’t stop to think about that at all. Oil is the perhaps the least “free market” thing on earth

I hear you. The timing for the oil companies is gonna be tricky. They want to slow production to keep from going broker by pumping what they can’t sell, but they also want to have production at the ready for when demand picks up so as not to interrupt supply and make them duckets. The smaller companies can react faster, but they are less capitalized, heavily leveraged, and the first to go broke. Big companies have the capital to make it, but don’t react as fast. That’s just one small slice of one industry. As bad as this all is, there’s gonna be a ton of books written on how this impacts every facet of our life and it’s quite fascinating in a somewhat morbid way.

natatomic

That makes ZERO sense.

Why not? I always thought it would be a good idea. It limits the number of people who could get in, so hopefully there’s no need to “phase close,” and turn away people here for a short period of time. I’m not saying it’s the best way, but it makes sense to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
What makes it a bad idea?

(Edited to add: I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious what I could be missing about this plan!)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since Disney is losing money every day as it is, they may think it’s a good idea to open ASAP so they can learn what works and what does not, how guests react etc.

It’s going to be an interesting restart for everyone.
For sure it’s interesting. There are sunk costs for the parks whether they open or not. The math they have to do is how much money is generated in a limited opening vs the variable costs added. I would think MK could turn a profit on its own as a stand-alone park. There’s a lot of infrastructure they can leave off if they only open 1 park and a few resorts. I also think they want to get Disney Springs open so their 3rd party vendors don’t go under and stop paying rent.

_caleb

Requires a warrant.

But not your permission.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I doubt that will be done but if it was it would be the single greatest passholder benefit ever!
AP only makes no sense! There’s no geographic restrictions on APs...why bring them back first?

This sounds like “I wanna use my AP!” Masquerading as a plan.

Florida only...I suppose...might be the only legitimate angle for this type of idea. And even that doesn’t really make sense

DisneyCane

...ok now YOU need a timeout.

Are you seriously saying Disney would open its parks and lock of the northeast, upper Midwest and west coast?

I mean...have you never bothered to look at where their business comes from? Not once in the month long self appointed analyst routine?

Come on...do better than this.

Perhaps a limited Florida resident trial run...perhaps that could be sold. Nothing more.

Try keeping people for New York, New Jersey, Pa and Massachusetts out of wdw....good luck
Why do you quote things without context? My reply was to a post that said there would be legal issues if they prohibited residents of certain states. My response was simply to state that this was not legally correct.

Earlier, there was a discussion about only opening to Florida residents at first. I was in favor of that possibility as I posted that very idea a few days ago. I did not say Disney would or should pick and choose which States people reside in that should be allowed to visit. In my earlier posts from a few days ago I specifically said that it would be an operational nightmare to try and let select state residents visit and the only somewhat manageable option would be Florida residents only.

So you are basically saying Disney should just open because someone else is doing it? If that is the case everyone should be jumping off the bridge just because someone else did right? You can't open unless there is a plan, testing and a way to limit spread of the virus. Places like Disney are ripe for major outbreak. No one is saying that places should stay closed forever. But you have to be smart about it. The governor of Georgia is not being smart. Opening a tattoo or massage parlor is a joke. You can't get any closer to another person.

Just to put some facts into this narrative, here are some of the guidelines that have been released for salons and spas to be allowed to reopen in Georgia:

Limit people in shops/salons: Salons/shops should consider seeing clients by appointment only. Salons/shops should consider telephonic or online scheduling. Limit the number of persons in the waiting area of the salon/shop. It is recommended that clients wait outside the salon/shop in their vehicle until the cosmetologist or barber is ready to serve them. It is recommended that persons not being serviced in the salon/shop wait outside the salon/shop.

Maintain social distancing: Spacing between persons in the salon should be at least six feet at all times. Salons/shops should consider additional spacing between booths, divider shields, and/or alternate work schedules.

Use of personal protective equipment and best practices: Salon/shop employees will be required to wear masks at all times. Salons may want to consider providing masks to clients. Clients should wear face masks to the extent possible while receiving services. Salons/shops should also make use of face shields, gloves, disposable or re-washable capes, smocks, neck strips, etc. These items should be disinfected or disposed of between each client. Employees should arrive at the salon/shop showered and wearing clean clothing and change clothes before leaving the salon/shop each day. Handwashing with soap and warm water, for a minimum of 20 seconds will be required by employees between every client service.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/S...spas-and-barbershops-to-reopen-569842501.html

_caleb

The biggest reason New York's hospital system has been in chaos is that they have a very low ratio of hospital beds to people. The entire state of New York is only 2.7 beds per 1,000 people but in New York City area that ratio drops even lower to about 1.5 beds per 1,000 people... Only after they converted hotel rooms and set up other makeshift hospital beds did they increase it to the state's 2.7 ratio. The hospital bed situation in NYC seems to have stabilized now so it is possible that a ratio of 2.7 may be a good proxy for where the ratio of an area needs to be to get through this pandemic. Which then makes it look like California is going to have some serious problems as they are sitting at a ratio of 1.8 which is one of the lowest in the country.

When you look at the ratios it kind of makes sense that a state like South Dakota didn't ever go into any real lockdown mode as they have the highest ratio in the country at 4.8, so in their case they have can withstand a lot more problems before their system gets stressed.

I just wonder if the people in NYC will remember that they eliminated half their hospital beds over the past 15 or 20 years when their leaders decided to cut costs. Had they not closed those hospitals they would have had enough beds today to avoid the hotel rooms and tent hospitals they are using now.
This assumes that available hospital beds = the ability to provide the care needs for COVID-19 patients. Access to technology, medications, experienced staff, and ICU care are also factors that need to be considered.

DisneyCane

If it wasn’t, gas would be about 75 cents a gallon right now.

From an article I was reading, the reason that gas prices haven't dropped at the same rate as oil prices is because the demand is so weak that the gas station owners are increasing their profit margin to make up for lost volume. Lowering the price at this time isn't going to attract more business to the convenience store.

Tom P.

Who do you take seriously then? Certainly not any politicians or Fortune 500 executives!

At least a few higher ups at Disney started out in the parks... (George K., Josh, etc.) but they are still low on the corporate ladder.

I’m guessing John Lassiter is the highest anyone has gotten of someone that started out in the parks, and he wouldn’t have gotten that high up if he hadn’t left Disney for Pixar (well it wasn’t Pixar yet...).
Perhaps Josh D'Amaro is not in the absolute top echelon of Disney leadership, but I wouldn't call the President of Walt Disney World low on the corporate ladder either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why not? I always thought it would be a good idea. It limits the number of people who could get in, so hopefully there’s no need to “phase close,” and turn away people here for a short period of time. I’m not saying it’s the best way, but it makes sense to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
What makes it a bad idea?

(Edited to add: I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious what I could be missing about this plan!)
APs are all over the place! Why pick that group?

You could pick DVC too and that doesn’t make any sense.

The only “test” Group to pick is one based on geography or income/expenditure ratio.

That’s not gonna be APs.

SierraT

You can argue what you want but Disney will not be opening up by June 1st.
You are right, they will most likely be open by Memorial Day in May. Florida is already getting close to entering Phase Two of the re-opening plan and and have more than a month to effectively roll out their plans safely. They want and need to get people back to work.

I also think it’s important to remember Disney and Universal have skillfully and very successfully managed hurricane closures with preciseness for many years. While the virus situation is unlike anything we’ve seen, both companies employ people and have entire departments dedicated to disaster planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom