Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I think COVID was in the US as far back as Nov. we just didn’t know what it was. Just my opinion.
Could have been. Then maybe not. Could have been here in December or January, maybe not. That’s the thing in a nutshell. No one on here knows we are all guessing. So much unknown. This is still a very fluid situation because we have so much incomplete data. So when people say open everything up or keep everything closed, it’s a guess on what we have learned so far. Today will bring another piece of info as will tomorrow. We need to listen to the experts and science. Whichever way it leads us, that’s the way we should go. Don’t move ahead because our heart or wallet says so, we move ahead when the science is well versed in the situation. If that means tomorrow then we move that way. If it means next month so be it.

DisneyCane

From the article, "There have only been anecdotal reports of reverse location searches, so it’s unclear how widespread the practice is."

The reason I asked the question is because getting a warrant or subpoena for phone and location records is not as easy as people think or as you see on TV.

I was directly involved in an investigation for a missing adult about two years ago as an acquaintance of the missing person. I gave the detective the person's cell phone numbers so that he could track down the locations where the phone was used. It was an ordeal for him to get a subpoena for the records. He told me that the courts are very reluctant to grant subpoenas and warrants for phone location records due to privacy concerns. He eventually was able to subpoena the records (it's a subpoena for past records and a warrant for real time info) and was never granted a warrant (not that it would have mattered because the phones were powered off and went straight to voicemail).

This was a detective in a police department in Broward County, FL so they aren't dealing with "fringe" judges. The person was never found and is presumed dead.

DisneyCane

Could have been. Then maybe not. Could have been here in December or January, maybe not. That’s the thing in a nutshell. No one on here knows we are all guessing. So much unknown. This is still a very fluid situation because we have so much incomplete data. So when people say open everything up or keep everything closed, it’s a guess on what we have learned so far. Today will bring another piece of info as will tomorrow. We need to listen to the experts and science. Whichever way it leads us, that’s the way we should go. Don’t move ahead because our heart or wallet says so, we move ahead when the science is well versed in the situation. If that means tomorrow then we move that way. If it means next month so be it.

The available science indicates that outdoor spread isn't really a thing so why are beaches and parks still closed in many areas if we are following the science?

DisneyDebRob

The available science indicates that outdoor spread isn't really a thing so why are beaches and parks still closed in many areas if we are following the science?
Except for a study from China that was released the other day, which I dismiss because it’s China, the studies go back and forth. In almost everyone study they continue to say it’s not black and white. Just read one this morning. As I said before, you can find what you want to prove your point (not you, I mean anyone)in any of these studies. Not one yet has said, it is perfectly safe to do this or that. It usually says, if you keep this distance and etc.. you should be ok.
Most do say being spread out is ok

ImperfectPixie

That just doesn't jive with anything I've read. Sure, the virus doesn't live AS LONG in sunlight, but that doesn't mean outdoor spread doesn't happen...especially if people are close together.

DisneyCane

Except for a study from China that was released the other day, which I dismiss because it’s China, the studies go back and forth. In almost everyone study they continue to say it’s not black and white. Just read one this morning. As I said before, you can find what you want to prove your point (not you, I mean anyone)in any of these studies. Not one yet has said, it is perfectly safe to do this or that. It usually says, if you keep this distance and etc.. you should be ok.
Most do say being spread out is ok
So require social distancing at the beach/park since every study says that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If contact tracing happens in the US i plan to run my phone over with my car and switch to a flip phone.

Don't tell me what to do with my belongings and body. I don't consent to mass tracking.
Did you know that contact tracing was happening all over the US and always does when infectious diseases pop up? They only stopped once the number of cases got higher than their ability to track. In the beginning of this outbreak in the US anyone who tested positive was contacted by the department of health and asked to provide a list of anyone they came in contact with. I saw an interview with a woman who was one of the early confirmed patients and she said she got a call and they asked her for a list and she gave names and numbers for friends, co-workers and family members she visited but she also went to a Cleveland Cavaliers game so obviously there is no way to trace that...unless you have a phone app.

On the phone app itself, it‘s an optional app that needs to be downloaded and turned on to work. You don’t need to get hysterical and trash your phone. You can just opt out. It’s also not mass tracking. It doesn’t use GPS it uses Bluetooth and there’s no way a cheating spouse could be caught because of it. It’s your choice what to do, but get the facts before posting inaccurate information that could mislead other people.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

That just doesn't jive with anything I've read. Sure, the virus doesn't live AS LONG in sunlight, but that doesn't mean outdoor spread doesn't happen...especially if people are close together.
I need to dig up the links but there are studies indicating outdoor spread is uncommon. A virologist in Europe somewhere said it was due to the wind disbursing the virus particles, not the sun killing it.

DisneyDebRob

The spread is easier in indoor areas, they are pretty much all in line with that. When it comes to outdoor they range in opinions. Still being deeply studied.

DisneyDebRob

The problem is that people fall back into usual habits very quickly and policing large public spaces like a beach is costly. If people can obey social distancing, sure keep them open, but if they stop...better to close them.
That is the problem exactly. Can’t have a cop every 20-30 feet in those places to monitor everything. People will fall back into habits, we see it now so just closing everything was the answer.

DisneyCane

The problem is that people fall back into usual habits very quickly and policing large public spaces like a beach is costly. If people can obey social distancing, sure keep them open, but if they stop...better to close them.
That is the problem exactly. Can’t have a cop every 20-30 feet in those places to monitor everything. People will fall back into habits, we see it now so just closing everything was the answer.

You don't need a cop every 20-30 feet. You just need a few cops patrolling on golf carts. Most beaches can be social distanced simply by limiting parking lot capacity.

I also just gleaned something else interesting from the Florida daily report. 25.6% of all COVID-19 deaths in Florida are either employees or residents of long term care facilities (it doesn't break down employee vs. resident but I think it is safe to assume a very high percentage is residents). If all that was done was intense testing of long term care facilities, over a quarter of all the deaths in Florida would be eliminated.

DisneyDebRob

You don't need a cop every 20-30 feet. You just need a few cops patrolling on golf carts. Most beaches can be social distanced simply by limiting parking lot capacity.

I also just gleaned something else interesting from the Florida daily report. 25.6% of all COVID-19 deaths in Florida are either employees or residents of long term care facilities (it doesn't break down employee vs. resident but I think it is safe to assume a very high percentage is residents). If all that was done was intense testing of long term care facilities, over a quarter of all the deaths in Florida would be eliminated.
So 75% are not long term care facility deaths? That’s scary. Thought it might be less.

jmp85

The police using cell phone pings to track people's movements is very common.

Requires a warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom