Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

I wouldn’t exactly call a few morons protesting riots in the streets. At least where I live the streets are pretty empty. I went to CVS today and there was nobody there. The grocery store had a bunch of cars but no line outside and the McDonalds had a few cars at the drive thru. Those are the only places I passed so purely anecdotal. In the past few weeks I think people have really stepped up. The media just likes to hype the few dumb ***** who can’t help themselves.
Where I live in Osceola county it’s very quiet, also. We went to Walmart the other day and the store was not crowded at all. The streets are pretty much empty. When I looked down I4 I saw mostly trucks. People have stepped up to do their part and it’s the right thing to do. Even with people getting cabin fever the vast majority are abiding by the guidelines set by their state or county. People are walking and biking more but that’s allowed. There’s unfortunately always a few bad apples that others notice more than the majority who are following the rules that don’t get noticed. Thanks to everyone who is taking this seriously and doing their part😊

Lilofan

Where I live in Osceola county it’s very quiet, also. We went to Walmart the other day and the store was not crowded at all. The streets are pretty much empty. When I looked down I4 I saw mostly trucks. People have stepped up to do their part and it’s the right thing to do. Even with people getting cabin fever the vast majority are abiding by the guidelines set by their state or county. People are walking and biking more but that’s allowed. There’s unfortunately always a few bad apples that others notice more than the majority who are following the rules that don’t get noticed. Thanks to everyone who is taking this seriously and doing their part😊
With Central FL temps ranging from mid 80s to low 90s, I'd be in the cold AC most of the day.

DisneyCane

Not sure if that is the right park to go by since China followed a different method of virus control. Disney Paris is probably a better proxy since France followed more of the normal Western lockdown method.

As of a couple of weeks ago, China was ordering 14 day don't leave your residence quarantines for contacts of a contact. I had posted this a couple of hundred pages back but I was told the story by somebody who was quarantined that somebody in the office had been on a flight and was sitting near a passenger who ended up testing positive for COVID. Everybody who this person was within 6 feet of from the time they got off the plane until they were isolated was required to go into quarantine for 14 days and were not allowed outside of their residence. No testing BTW. Just self temperature screening. This happened in another part of China, not Wuhan.

DisneyCane

no because there’s lot of cases of covid-19 spreading within the home. further people with hypertension, diabetes and a host of other incredibly common conditions can’t just be locked in a bedroom. most have families or loved ones. Are they supposed to stay home?

If you look at the data, by FAR the biggest risk factor is being aged 65+. Just look at the data from NY and FL and it is very obvious.

Polynesia

With Central FL temps ranging from mid 80s to low 90s, I'd be in the cold AC most of the day.
Good point. It rained yesterday and we sat out on the porch to watch because it was something different to do. 😊. Normally in this heat people would be enjoying swimming. But it’s closed at my complex.

TrainsOfDisney

As of a couple of weeks ago, China was ordering 14 day don't leave your residence quarantines for contacts of a contact. I had posted this a couple of hundred pages back but I was told the story by somebody who was quarantined that somebody in the office had been on a flight and was sitting near a passenger who ended up testing positive for COVID. Everybody who this person was within 6 feet of from the time they got off the plane until they were isolated was required to go into quarantine for 14 days and were not allowed outside of their residence. No testing BTW. Just self temperature screening. This happened in another part of China, not Wuhan.

That’s what I was thinking about when I mentioned people wanting to leave their phones in the car or at home when making a quick trip to a store.

MaximumEd

There is a real good interview on al.com today with a doctor and dean at UAB that talks about this. It sounds like something they may be doing on Alabama campuses this fall.

Roll Tide! My wife works in heart failure research at UAB. Great facility.

DarkMetroid567

Which is why I should be in charge. My position is that all businesses should be allowed to open as long as they can put social distancing protocols in place or require masks be worn at all times. Restaurant dining rooms can operate with a party size limit of 9 and occupied tables spaced at least 6 feet from each other. Movie theatres, stadiums and arenas have the choice to either space parties at least 6 feet apart with capacity reduction OR require all attendees to wear masks at all times when they can't be socially distanced. The mask option would not allow for consumption of concession items in the seating areas.

All of this is combined with "stay home when you are sick" and possibly temperature screening at larger capacity businesses. In the meantime, significant research needs to be done about outdoor spread which some early studies show is not really an issue because if that is proven it could allow outdoor stadiums to operate as before along with the outdoor areas at WDW.

There's the common sense based compromise that both sides should be able to come together on.

This sounds like the perfect plan for Mid-Mayish/Juneish and beyond.

phillip9698

Which is why I should be in charge. My position is that all businesses should be allowed to open as long as they can put social distancing protocols in place or require masks be worn at all times. Restaurant dining rooms can operate with a party size limit of 9 and occupied tables spaced at least 6 feet from each other. Movie theatres, stadiums and arenas have the choice to either space parties at least 6 feet apart with capacity reduction OR require all attendees to wear masks at all times when they can't be socially distanced. The mask option would not allow for consumption of concession items in the seating areas.

All of this is combined with "stay home when you are sick" and possibly temperature screening at larger capacity businesses. In the meantime, significant research needs to be done about outdoor spread which some early studies show is not really an issue because if that is proven it could allow outdoor stadiums to operate as before along with the outdoor areas at WDW.

There's the common sense based compromise that both sides should be able to come together on.

A couple problems here.

One, restaurant margins are razor thin. Most couldn't survive with capacity reduced that much. As another poster said, this situation would be worse than being closed 100%.

Broadway closed their doors specifically because they can't turn a profit at even 50% capacity.

Two, one sneeze or cough combined with a whipping AC and ceiling fans and the 6 foot spacing is null and void.

Three, the people spreading the virus the most don't know they are sick.

Four, movie theaters and arenas make their money on concessions, not the product on display. Concessions involve hand to mouth activity for an extended period of time. Combine that with a virus that stays active on surfaces for 3 days and you have a nightmare.

This plan neither keeps people safe nor keeps businesses afloat. It provides surface level comfort and nothing more.

csmat99

That has nothing to do with what I said. Orlando as a city has nothing to do with Disney. All those high rise buildings and such... they aren’t Disney or Universal office buildings.
Yes they do. Why do you think law firms and other companies starting to open up offices in Orlando? Because they knew Disney would have a ton of work. As well as all the businesses created and popped up around Disney.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can't believe we live in a world where even THIS has to be a "both sides" issue.

Over 23 million Americans have lost their jobs. According to a new poll, 43% of workers total have either lost their job or lost wages. So of course people are going to question the decision making of leadership. That’s healthy. I have questioned them myself and as I continue to weigh what I have learned, I continue to support most decisions that have been made around mitigation, for now. But I definitely understand why others see it differently. Because we think differently. That doesn’t make them the bad guys.

csmat99

The contract tracing thing is interesting... if it’s required i think people will leave phones at home / in the car more often. I mean if you know taking your phone in to the Starbucks could result in a 14 day mandatory quarantine... wouldn’t you leave it in the car?
And doing that would be wrong. We need to stop the spread and control the hotspots. Tracing allows you do that.

Last edited:

thomas998

I'm surprised they didn't quarantine the entire plane. Frankly 6 feet wasn't enough given they have done studies shoeing a cough shedding viruses more than 20 feet and if the people were all in a confined space on a plane... well I'm baffled given Chine tended to go to such extremes in the past.

TrojanUSC

If contact tracing happens in the US i plan to run my phone over with my car and switch to a flip phone.

Don't tell me what to do with my belongings and body. I don't consent to mass tracking.

Just to be clear - you have GPS on your phone now. It's awfully easy for police or the government to track you. Yet if you might unknowingly be infecting your loved ones to a virus that could kill them and an app can help you prevent that until we have a vaccine, that's a bridge too far?

TrojanUSC

And of course it doesn't but the cellphone thing is just one facet of contact tracing. You do realize that health department officials are already contact tracing, on a smaller scale, for HIV, TB and Hepatitis (amongst others) every day, right?

This is one of the key issues for Disney. If a bunch of cast members that work at Space Mountain come down with COVID-19, they should be notifying everyone they rode Space Mountain in X number of days to get tested. That's tricky, but a necessity. It's the same as when a worker at Morimoto came down with Hepatitis last year and they notified all their guests of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That's why I only communicate by way of ham radio.
d-rapper-penguin-retro-radio-mic-render-old-microphone-42050142.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom