Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

You must not have looked at the photos? It was clearly a joke. That’s not an actual Disney park.

And OLC has WAY better maintenance and upkeep.

Apples to oranges? You’re comparing Disney park to Disney park... how much closer to apples vs. apples can you get?
It always depends on who is running a business, even a chain. I can go in to one that is immaculate and then go in to another chains location that is pretty bad because it’s owned and operated by someone different. You’re fortunate if this has never happened to you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So back to my question. As far as policy is concerned, is a "one size fits all" approach appropriate here in the U.S.?

Things can get wonky when you have two different policies close to each other divided by a border. One jurisdiction that outlaws the sale of fireworks finds its citizen running over the border to buy them elsewhere. There were big issues when different states had different drinking age limits. It encouraged older teenagers to drive across state borders to party and drive back home drunk.

So if you 'open things up' in a rural county with no new infections... what's to stop them from going to a hot spot two counties away and bringing the virus back into their 'safe' community?

A county with no lockdown? Well, let me move my business operations with people from a hot spot into your county and rent an office there to avoid the more stringent policies in my hot spot zone!

This is why in three different regions (NE, midW, and Pacific Coast), the local governors formed a coalition to coordinate what they're doing.. not necessarily so that they're in lockstep, but that they minimize the chaos that happens when you have very different public norms next to one another.

If a governor wants to declare their state or specific regions in their state to be 'open' (more or less), then, there might be serious repurcussions to that that they're not preparing for.

TrainsOfDisney

It always depends on who is running a business, even a chain. I can go in to one that is immaculate and then go in to another chains location that is pretty bad because it’s owned and operated by someone different. You’re fortunate if this has never happened to you.

Well yeah... the maintenance is different from Florida to California. Of course it’s going to be different. But that doesn’t mean you can’t compare Florida to california.

You do know that OLC is considered the best of the best right?

Polynesia

Anyone saying there is a crew maintaining the WDW grounds is really fooling a lot of people. It will be a monumental task to bring the parks to ready condition.
When the stay at home order is lifted I’ll check out the grounds that I can see. It’s been a few weeks since I went on properly. But three weeks ago it was looking good 😊. You could be right. Hard to say either way at the moment.

Polynesia

Well yeah... the maintenance is different from Florida to California. Of course it’s going to be different. But that doesn’t mean you can’t compare Florida to california.

You do know that OLC is considered the best of the best right?
Yes, that’s why I was confused. I’ve been to Tokyo Disneyland and their building appeal beats the US hands down. The imagineers did a fantastic job. Apparently their hands weren’t tied by as many money constraints. 😊

TrainsOfDisney

Yes, that’s why I was confused. I’ve been to Tokyo Disneyland and their building appeal beats the US hands down. The imagineers did a fantastic job. Apparently their hands weren’t tied by as many money constraints. 😊

Oh gotcha.. I need more coffee!

And yes! This year at D23 I talked to some imagineers working on Tokyo projects and they say they get to do a lot more for the Tokyo Parks. (If you’ve never been, the imagineering booth is staffed with imagineers and they are really cool to talk to!).

Calmdownnow

I have to admit I was a bit shaken today when my 28 year old son asked if I had life insurance I'm 62 and can honestly say that the subject has never come up in conversation with anyone other than my bank manager before this ....
Don't usually reply to myself, but have to add that this is roughly typical of the banter in our family, so don't think the worst of my first born!

Polynesia

Oh gotcha.. I need more coffee!

And yes! This year at D23 I talked to some imagineers working on Tokyo projects and they say they get to do a lot more for the Tokyo Parks. (If you’ve never been, the imagineering booth is staffed with imagineers and they are really cool to talk to!).
I belong to D23 and have never had the opportunity to go to their expo. Of course, I watched it on YouTube live this year when they announced The Wish. Although I live in Florida I was always working. Now that I’m retired I plan on going to them. They do look interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Lilofan

I have to admit I was a bit shaken today when my 28 year old son asked if I had life insurance I'm 62 and can honestly say that the subject has never come up in conversation with anyone other than my bank manager before this ....
During these uncertain times, family members may ask uneasy questions, do you have a will, life insurance, how much is it worth.. Not easy to talk about but if one plans ahead one can set up the family for financial freedom. Term life insurance is a no brainer to take care of one's family in many many ways.

Last edited:

Polynesia

Don't usually reply to myself, but have to add that this is roughly typical of the banter in our family, so don't think the worst of my first born!
I showed my son and husband how I budget our households just in case. I included the links on how to pay bills online with my logins and passwords. At a time like this I’m sure many households have had these types of discussions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do accept it.
Being free, includes a risk factor to ones own personal life.
I'm not advocating opening everything up, and certainly not all at once.
But we can't stay locked away forever, and as the valve opens hospitalizations and deaths will creep up.
The trick is in managing the flow rate of that valve to one the healthcare systems can handle.

You know...I normally wouldn’t take this stance...but suggesting “acceptable hospitalization”...which includes acceptable deaths is starting to burn the inseam of my jeans a little.

The motivation appears to be money, leisure, or a mongrelization of “individual liberty”...

I need a timeout...so I shall take one now
So back to my question. As far as policy is concerned, is a "one size fits all" approach appropriate here in the U.S.?
No...but the places that drive the national economy disproportionally will open up well behind the others.

If that’s the scenario...congress better work the printing presses when they’re not in session.

Last edited:

Calmdownnow

During these uncertain times, family members may uneasy questions, do you have a will, life insurance, how much is it worth.. Not easy to talk about but if one plans ahead one can set up the family for financial freedom.
In our particular case, we were talking about his overdraft, so I am fairly sure it was a) a jocular comment aimed at diverting attention from his finances, but also b) a way of expressing concern about my mortality that he couldn't express by telling me that I needed to stay out of harms way where the virus was concerned.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
So if you 'open things up' in a rural county with no new infections... what's to stop them from going to a hot spot two counties away and bringing the virus back into their 'safe' community?
And I think this applies to countries too. We've been very cautious and compliant down here in my country. Our official active Covid-19 cases have been kept reasonably low, so far.

We travel to the US a few times a year and I'm planning on (maybe) finally visiting London next year, so I've been following US and UK statistics and guidelines with great interest.

This pandemic, and how every nation is approaching it, concerns us all, IMO.

Calmdownnow

But we can't stay locked away forever, and as the valve opens hospitalizations and deaths will creep up.
The trick is in managing the flow rate of that valve to one the healthcare systems can handle.

The hope, for all humanitarians, is that the number of deaths will be reduced to the lowest possible number, not just to stagger the deaths over a longer period so that the health system does not collapse. Preventing the collapse of health systems will reduce deaths, but the first part of the equation is also to reduce the numbers of those who get sick for their sake as well as for "the system's" sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom