Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

I'm surprised more people aren't on Disney for the allowing of rebooking for June 1st. Disney probably already knew they weren't going to fully open by then. They probably already knew some of the measures that are being talked about were going to be in place.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Knuckles? When there is nobody around and if I can reach, I kick them with the front of my shoe!

One jump ahead of you. :)
aPjOzng_460s.jpg

zengoth

So I came across this - the LA Times quoting WHO - about the proper way to mask (yes, it sounds like Carnival).
https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2020-04-16/tips-on-how-to-wear-a-mask-correctly

They say: "Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks."

How will this work in a themepark day in summer -will you be required to keep an entire pack of masks with you to change out during the day? Moreover, will folks just be disposing of masks in normal trashcans, or will Disney have those red medical recepticles, maybe camouflaged in Minnie dots, next to their recycling bins?

Polynesia

So far, we’ve seen character dining resume at Lumiere’s Kitchen in Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, plus the use of expanded Health QR Codes at all resort venues. Now, reports are coming in from within Shanghai Disneyland of Cast Members testing parade and castle light shows for reopening.

Additional reports from Twitter user @gourmetdyy show that testing within indoor theaters took place just yesterday. Cast Members and their guests were seated at every other row, with each party separated by a few seats in order to maintain their distance. Details on how guests will be distanced for parades and nighttime spectaculars have yet to be released.

No official reopening date has been released for Shanghai Disneyland, but with schools set to reopen across Shanghai from April 27 through May 11, many are anticipating a full reopening soon.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Things can get wonky when you have two different policies close to each other divided by a border. One jurisdiction that outlaws the sale of fireworks finds its citizen running over the border to buy them elsewhere. There were big issues when different states had different drinking age limits. It encouraged older teenagers to drive across state borders to party and drive back home drunk.

So if you 'open things up' in a rural county with no new infections... what's to stop them from going to a hot spot two counties away and bringing the virus back into their 'safe' community?

A county with no lockdown? Well, let me move my business operations with people from a hot spot into your county and rent an office there to avoid the more stringent policies in my hot spot zone!

This is why in three different regions (NE, midW, and Pacific Coast), the local governors formed a coalition to coordinate what they're doing.. not necessarily so that they're in lockstep, but that they minimize the chaos that happens when you have very different public norms next to one another.

If a governor wants to declare their state or specific regions in their state to be 'open' (more or less), then, there might be serious repurcussions to that that they're not preparing for.
I dunno. My peeing section in the swimming pool seemed to work well.

phillip9698

I do accept it.
Being free, includes a risk factor to ones own personal life.
I'm not advocating opening everything up, and certainly not all at once.
But we can't stay locked away forever, and as the valve opens hospitalizations and deaths will creep up.
The trick is in managing the flow rate of that valve to one the healthcare systems can handle.

Why equate forever with a couple months? Why are we talking about personal freedom in a pandemic situation? Is a couple months without getting a massage forever? And the reason I said massage is because my state, good old Georgia, is opening up everything outside of six flags and it's going to be a cluster ......And who will be the first to cross the state line to Florida once Disney opens.......

Jrb1979

So far, we’ve seen character dining resume at Lumiere’s Kitchen in Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, plus the use of expanded Health QR Codes at all resort venues. Now, reports are coming in from within Shanghai Disneyland of Cast Members testing parade and castle light shows for reopening.

Additional reports from Twitter user @gourmetdyy show that testing within indoor theaters took place just yesterday. Cast Members and their guests were seated at every other row, with each party separated by a few seats in order to maintain their distance. Details on how guests will be distanced for parades and nighttime spectaculars have yet to be released.

No official reopening date has been released for Shanghai Disneyland, but with schools set to reopen across Shanghai from April 27 through May 11, many are anticipating a full reopening soon.
It is great news but at the same time they are in a different phase in regards to the amount of cases.

thomas998

Don't use COVID-19 as some grand indication that we supposedly live in a high population stinkhole. We've done pretty well here before this started rampaging this country. You'd have to go back a long time to find any evidence of a viral disaster at this level. Truth is, more people travel to cities than they do to other areas in the country. 65 Million people travel to NYC each year. But obviously, we don't know how to keep clean and it's something to do with our air circulation.
If you were used to clean fresh air and then visited NYC in the summer you would realize the city is a stinkhole to put it nicely. It isn't caused by the air it is an over population problem.

Polynesia

It is great news but at the same time they are in a different phase in regards to the amount of cases.
So true. I think that’s what De Santis meant that Disney was ahead of the curve. They’ll have a better idea on what to do by seeing how Shanghai adapts. We’re quite a ways behind Shanghai yet. But it’s a good model to study and tweak when it’s our turn, whenever that might be.

DisneyDebRob

Just was watching a local news program where I saw a interview with a business owner from Colorado. It’s a different angle on things coming from someone that has money in this thing. He’s worried about opening things up to soon when people are still not sure whether it’s safe to go out and had a very interesting take on things. I believe it was a outdoor sporting place he owned. So he said..” A month with 100% loss of income isn’t what will bankrupt most businesses. What will do it is a 20% loss each month for a 6 month period of people aren’t out shopping.. There will be no help and you can’t recover from that”.
Was a thought I guess I never was thinking about.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why equate forever with a couple months? Why are we talking about personal freedom in a pandemic situation? Is a couple months without getting a massage forever? And the reason I said massage is because my state, good old Georgia, is opening up everything outside of six flags and it's going to be a cluster ......And who will be the first to cross the state line to Florida once Disney opens.......
I wish all the Peaches were like you 🍑

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Glass half full: great news and it’s a Disney park so they will have a chance to test everything out over there before our parks open. Find out what works and just as importantly what doesn’t. Different cultures but same problem.

Glass half empty: China is at least several months ahead of the US so if their park opens sometime in May that puts us on pace for July/Aug. If schools re-opening are a trigger for a green light for the parks most schools in the US including Florida won’t go back until mid-Aug to Sept so that could push it back even further. Based on some of the analysts saying no parks for the rest of the year maybe a Sept open is actually 3/4 full instead of half ;)

In either case I don’t think we will see character meals or meet and greets when the parks first open. Its too hard to stop kids from gathering around the characters and with all of the autographs and hugging it’s not likely to happen :(

Polynesia

Glass half full: great news and it’s a Disney park so they will have a chance to test everything out over there before our parks open. Find out what works and just as importantly what doesn’t. Different cultures but same problem.

Glass half empty: China is at least several months ahead of the US so if their park opens sometime in May that puts us on pace for July/Aug. If schools re-opening are a trigger for a green light for the parks most schools in the US including Florida won’t go back until mid-Aug to Sept so that could push it back even further. Based on some of the analysts saying no parks for the rest of the year maybe a Sept open is actually 3/4 full instead of half ;)

In either case I don’t think we will see character meals or meet and greets when the parks first open. Its too hard to stop kids from gathering around the characters and with all of the autographs and hugging it’s not likely to happen :(
I enjoyed reading your analysis. It was very thoughtful and most likely pretty accurate. I love Disney but above all I want it to be safe (or at least as safe as it can be under the circumstances). I know we’ll get there eventually.

thomas998

Not sure if that is the right park to go by since China followed a different method of virus control. Disney Paris is probably a better proxy since France followed more of the normal Western lockdown method.

icc2515

A month with 100% loss of income isn’t what will bankrupt most businesses. What will do it is a 20% loss each month for a 6 month period of people aren’t out shopping.. There will be no help and you can’t recover from that”.
Yes, I agree with this. Getting the businesses open is not enough, you have to make people feel safe to bring the business back.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if that is the right park to go by since China followed a different method of virus control. Disney Paris is probably a better proxy since France followed more of the normal Western lockdown method.
Valid point but I haven’t heard much about Paris one way or the other. They may not open before WDW. Shanghai is still a good test for some of the social distancing stuff. We will never see things like the QR readers, but a good general rule is probably If something doesn’t work there it for sure won’t work here. I’d also be curious to see how parades or fireworks will work. That hasn’t even been discussed here as an option for US parks at least not when they first open but if they figure out a decent system maybe it can be adopted here. Not getting my hopes up, but maybe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Especially when the help from the government stops coming in because you are open. Your on your own now whether the people come or not.
That’s probably what a lot of waiters and bartenders are thinking too. An extra $600 a week from the federal government is likely more than the tips you will get working in a half empty restaurant. For them better to wait until enough people will come back to make it worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom