Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Why would you expect the customer to be six feet away from the stylist? There is no such requirement when conducting business. We see less than six feet for food delivery drivers, curbside pickup of various items, and other professions outside of health care workers.

The six-foot guidance is so inconsistent in when it is "required". That is why I fully expect that Disney will NOT implement any such requirement when it opens. YMMV
Duh. The health advice around the world is stay a minimum of 6 feet away to minimize transmission of the virus. The failure to respect this advice is why so many pork factory workers are infected. If your delivery drivers & curbside pickup staff have not been following this (in the absence of protective equipment) it is no wonder the virus has continued to spread.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
the US is at an almost six percent (5.38 percent) mortality rate for documented cases, not 0.6. pretty massive difference.

6% is what you get when you divide known cases of contracted CV with known cases of those who've died from CV.

The problem with that is that both those numbers are still really unknown.

Only now in various places are the general public being screened to see just how many have been infected. And it turns out that there are numbers being thrown around right now that anywhere from 5 to 50 times that have been infected. This just shows just how many asymptomatic cases there are because up until now, only those with symptoms have been tested. This means that CV is indeed only as mortal as the flu, right?

Not so fast. The current canvassing of the general population has only just begun and there are issues with the rigorousness of these surveys since they aren't always done through random sampling and the test itself isn't very accurate. They're only now beginning such surveys and so there will be variance in the results until there are more tests and the tests are more rigorous and accurate (Germany has started such a program, and it will take weeks, if not months for a definitive answer).

So, the good news is that there is good hope that there are a lot more asymptomatic infections, which diminishes CV's mortality rate... if it wasn't for the now widespread belief that the deaths due to CV have also been under reported. When we compare average deaths in these months compared to historical averages, there are a lot more deaths. And one would think that these extra deaths this year represents deaths due to CV. Only thing is... the reported deaths to CV are a lot less than this death bump.

And indeed, it has been reported that many jurisdictions have been under reporting deaths. If someone died from pneumonia in late February and they never got tested for CV... do you count that as a CV death or not? What if you don't have a test to see if that person really died from CV? What if you're China hiding the number of deaths?

So, for now, we really don't know how deadly CV is.

JohnD

Honest question I have for people, if WDW opens in June, have they thought about how that will look and are they comfortable paying a pre-virus price for a post-virus park?

Some rides just aren't worth riding if they have to be stopped every 10th buggy for a spray and wipe.

Then people need to be ready to read how that will look which WDW will no doubt post on their website. Then make a decision whether to go based on that info.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Removing New York / New Jersey from the U.S. (numbers) would make a huge difference.

We can exclude everyone except for a few people living in the wilderness without contact with the outside world and come to the conclusion that there is no COVID-19 problem.

People who want to exclude hot zones of high density populations do so to downplay the seriousness of the plague. But every state has high density cities and to ignore what's happened in NYC is to then create policies to the detriment of people living in your high density cities in your own state or country.

68% of the world's population live in an urban center.

Don't worry about getting that Florida tan on your face wearing a hat, sunglasses and the mask that covers half your face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200421-140354~3.png
    Screenshot_20200421-140354~3.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 79

JFP

those people protesting are a very very small vocal minority and were organized through a right wing grassroots organization
I've seen comments similar to this a few times, over the past few days. The REOPEN group in North Carolina has 65,000 members in the facebook group. The STAY HOME NC group that was created to counter has 16,000 members. I wouldn't call that a small, vocal minority...….reading through both pages, it's painfully obvious that there is very little middle ground or compromise on either side

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In those cramped NYC apts where people live on top of each other, the ventilation system is so poor that many residents can smell what everyone is cooking and frying.

Have you not seen images of the outside of NYC apartments and not seen that every apartment has a window-mounted A/C unit?

NYC apartments almost always have no centralized forced-air ventilation system. A/C is from the wall units. Heat is from electric units or steam pipes.

Now, offices are a different story...

surfsupdon

I have been thinking the same thing. Too many are focused on when it reopens. What about having to with no parades, no fireworks, no characters and social distancing in place.
We don’t see the parades and we don’t meet characters. Sure I’d wave at them while walking by. I will miss fireworks, tho. Most rides would be open, and we would ride them in the mornings and evenings. I expect social distancing to be ended.

We are looking forward to lots of time at the quiet pool, walking around the parks in the evening, eating some good food, and having family time together. Tennis too. Haha

lilypgirl

Why would you expect the customer to be six feet away from the stylist? There is no such requirement when conducting business. We see less than six feet for food delivery drivers, curbside pickup of various items, and other professions outside of health care workers.

The six-foot guidance is so inconsistent in when it is "required". That is why I fully expect that Disney will NOT implement any such requirement when it opens. YMMV
At this point I could careless if my stylist or nail tech is sitting on my lap while doing my hair or nails. I am willing to take that 98.54% chance of survival for a root touch up and manicure/pedicure.

Jrb1979

We don’t see the parades and we don’t meet characters. Sure I’d wave at them while walking by. I will miss fireworks, tho. Most rides would be open, and we would ride them in the mornings and evenings. I expect social distancing to be ended.

We are looking forward to lots of time at the quiet pool, walking around the parks in the evening, eating some good food, and having family time together. Tennis too. Haha
Have you read what the rumored measures are going to be upon opening? Why do you social distancing is going to be ended this soon?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We can exclude everyone except for a few people living in the wilderness without contact with the outside world and come to the conclusion that there is no COVID-19 problem.

People who want to exclude hot zones of high density populations do so to downplay the seriousness of the plague. But every state has high density cities and to ignore what's happened in NYC is to then create policies to the detriment of people living in your high density cities in your own state or country.

Have you not seen images of the outside of NYC apartments and not seen that every apartment has a window-mounted A/C unit?

NYC apartments almost always have no centralized forced-air ventilation system. A/C is from the wall units. Heat is from electric units or steam pipes.

...I’m starting to reallly like you 😚

...I’m going to recruit you into my collection of do gooders afterall...

But let’s be clear: I get to be Captain America 😡

Polynesia

Florida Governor’s briefing tonight was upbeat. He refused to give a reopening date but rather said it will open at the right date. It has to fit within the guidelines. At the same time, his tone was very pro in getting the economy going. I’m glad he didn’t jump the gun just as numbers are starting to decline.

ImperfectPixie

Florida Governor’s briefing tonight was upbeat. He refused to give a reopening date but rather said it will open at the right date. It has to fit within the guidelines. At the same time, his tone was very pro in getting the economy going. I’m glad he didn’t jump the gun just as numbers are starting to decline.
That's one of my biggest fears and why governor Baker's announcement Friday really scared me - he made it sound like they were rearing to go and open the schools again on the 4th...while my step-sister who runs a COVID floor at a hospital keeps saying it's getting worse and worse. Thankfully, he announced today that they're closed for the rest of the year. (Trust me, I'm not enjoying home-schooling my youngest by any stretch...any lesson that isn't math is just a constant whine-fest.)

Lilofan

You are referring to old school NYC apts which probably have the fire escape staircase outside the apt windows. Not ALL apts are old school. Been to NYC many times to visit friends and relatives but not at this current time.

jmp85

So if high density cities are a driver, you would be on board with policies that were implemented at the local/county level? People that live in small towns with no reported cases are currently being treated the same way as NYC. It goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom