Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp85

The goal is not to catch everyone all at once. Or stop all infections. Day 0 - You get sick, but are asymtomatic. At some point on days 1-4 you pass it to someone who gets sick 5 days later (say, Day 9), but has potentially spread it around on days 5-8. On Day 10, their friends, family and co-workers get tested and go into isolation awaiting their test results. In this group you find positives. Some of those people will eventually get sick, some of those people would have been asymptomatic. But all of them were sitting on their couch in isolation on Days 10, 11, 12, etc. instead of being out there in the world spreading it without knowing. Chains broken. You aren't trying to stop what happens on Days 1-9. What you are trying to do is minimize, not eliminate, what would have happened on Day 10 and beyond.

Thanks, that makes sense. I can see the benefit of slowing the spread through this method as we attempt to reopen the country. So many variables to consider, here's to hoping we "pull the right strings" moving forward.

Calmdownnow

My sister-in-law owns a hair salon in Georgia. She was slammed with calls/texts/emails the same evening that Kemp made the announcement. So many clients wanting to get their hair done, but there are restrictions on how many stylists can be working, number of clients, etc.
Call me contrary, but I don't see how you can stay 6 feet apart from your customer when styling their hair or painting their nails, unless you have unnaturally long arms.

Have you met humanity? And no, I don't mean those who we know are keeping the peace right now. I mean those we don't know about who do their damndest to upset the apple cart on a daily basis either through ignorance, selfishness, or both.
From the great Raylon Givens,
"If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole."

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, I have some questions about contact tracing. Maybe someone can help clarify things for me a bit. I keep hearing that testing and contact tracing will be the next step towards reopening. However, I have a hard time reconciling that with asymptomatic carriers / mild symptom cases who may not be tested. These people are going to be out there spreading the virus without ever getting tested. If this thing is half as contagious as we think it might be, will contact tracing even matter? It seems like we're all going to get this at some point.
Contact tracing and testing allows you to keep things open while still reducing the number of cases to an acceptable level. It’s not about finding everyone who is sick right away, but finding enough to keep a major hotspot from breaking out.

We are up to 800,000 cases confirmed in the US but the actual number infected could be 10X that. So let’s just assume for arguments sake 8M people have already been infected. That’s 2.5% of the US population. These cases were spread out over 2-3 months but the majority have come in the last month. Our hospital systems have not been overrun in the last month but they have been stretched pretty thin. We probably cannot sustain a large increase in hospitalizations over the run rate for the last month. For argument sake again let’s say we could double the number of cases without completely overrunning the system that means at most 5% of the population can be infected a month. That means with all these best case estimates it still takes 20 months before it hits everyone. Hopefully we have a vaccine long before then. We could also have much better anti-viral drugs soon too, but if not an we let it run through the population and the death rate is even 0.5% that’s still 1.6 million Americans dead.

ElvisMickey

Some of those questions may be answered when we start to see Georgia open up. Will people go to a nail salon, hair salon, etc. I know there’s not a large crowd but personal contact will be there and there will be a risk. This will lead to larger areas opening until eventually large venues. Will be interesting to watch how this rolls out

I have to say, if Florida reopened their salons (hair and nail), I’d be there tomorrow for a haircut and a pedicure. Bowling alleys are completely ridiculous and “huh?!” though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Call me contrary, but I don't see how you can stay 6 feet apart from your customer when styling their hair or painting their nails, unless you have unnaturally long arms.
By the time things open up my hair could be puffed out 6 feet on all sides ;)

I‘m starting to look like this guy without the glasses and ungodly amount of weed.
B580F9D3-51F8-41FA-A41F-E634C174C233.jpeg

Tom P.

I believe that 2000 thousand a month was just one of the proposals being bantered around. Not sure if it’s part on the package that was just agreed upon. Last few days I’ve only heard about the small business part of this package. We will see.
More direct cash payments, over and above the ones already going out, was not included in this current package. This package was about shoring up the small business relief fund, plus providing some money for hospitals and other essential efforts. However, Trump has already said that they will immediately start negotiations on the next package. I would not at all be surprised to see another round of direct cash payments to individuals being given serious consideration.

Last edited:

_caleb

Just watched a YouTube video claiming word is being leaked out by Universal maintenance that it has plans to call back team members mid May and tentatively opening June sometime. Please don’t shoot the messenger. One point brought up in the video is that sharing opinions is a good thing but attacking others for theirs is not good.

It's not the sharing of opinions that bothers me. It's the stating of opinions as fact that makes me not want to participate in this thread. When the same three posters act like they are absolute experts in epidemiology, economics, refining petroleum, government, theme park management, and GPS contact tracing, we're not have a conversation in good faith.

rle4lunch

Wait a minute...

Unless a lot of the medical experts are lying...Sweden isn’t doing that great of a job...at least not as compared to its Scandinavian counterparts - which is the right comparison points.

It was very popular with those who wanted not to do anything for this about two weeks ago...but then of course data started to flaw that theory. Hasn’t stopped anybody from repeating it though...apparently.

The best examples are Singapore, South Korea and Germany as far as response...no nonsense and coordinated.

And no offense...but I’m not nearly as impressed by that chart at the bottom with less than 2 months elapsed...not a source of national pride IMHO

The real problem with all the metrics being populated with alarmist media is that they're slowly (or not reporting it mainstream nearly enough), that covid has been in the States for 7 months and that 50% of the people have zero symptoms, out of the remaining 50%, 80% have very mild symptoms. Out of the remaining 20%, 5% have severe systems.

Here's where we need to be. Those that think they are at risk need to stay home. Those who don't, (not over 60, not fat, no underlying autoimmune issues: the 3 main causal factors in severe covid cases/death), can go out, make competent decisions about being sanitary and not being a jerk and licking vegetables in the store, and live a 50% normal life. The sensationalism of this is causing people to think they're going to walk outside and fall over dead, which is not going to happen.

Like I said, we're still awaiting our antibody results come back, because I firmly believe we had covid (pretty severely in me and my son, my wife and daughter not so bad). We were at WDW when my son came down with symptoms and had EMT in our room at Poly and multiple stops in the first aid stations during our week there. I was issued SIQ (sick in quarters) when I came down with it, came down with bad bronchitis for 4 weeks after the initial week of nastiness.

Here's the deal. This is going to become seasonal. EVERYONE is going to contract it at some point. Like thanos, its inevitable. We can't stop it. As long as the body politic doesn't hold up the drugs that help before the vaccine is sent out, we can handle it.

Oh, and China is still lying about this whole thing.

Jrb1979

Does anyone else think it was a bad idea to start rebooking for June now that it looks like it's not happening? I look at Universal and they haven't even started to allow any rebooking.

Jrb1979

Why would you expect the customer to be six feet away from the stylist? There is no such requirement when conducting business. We see less than six feet for food delivery drivers, curbside pickup of various items, and other professions outside of health care workers.

The six-foot guidance is so inconsistent in when it is "required". That is why I fully expect that Disney will NOT implement any such requirement when it opens. YMMV
That's where the masks come in.

JohnD

Does anyone else think it was a bad idea to start rebooking for June now that it looks like it's not happening? I look at Universal and they haven't even started to allow any rebooking.

I say go for it. What's the worst than can happen? WDW doesn't re-open and you have to reschedule. But if there is no definitive answer as it gets closer, and you're still not sure you can still cancel 5 days out and get your deposit back.

phillip9698

Honest question I have for people, if WDW opens in June, have they thought about how that will look and are they comfortable paying a pre-virus price for a post-virus park?

Some rides just aren't worth riding if they have to be stopped every 10th buggy for a spray and wipe.

Jrb1979

Honest question I have for people, if WDW opens in June, have they thought about how that will look and are they comfortable paying a pre-virus price for a post-virus park?
I have been thinking the same thing. Too many are focused on when it reopens. What about having to with no parades, no fireworks, no characters and social distancing in place.

It's not the sharing of opinions that bothers me. It's the stating of opinions as fact that makes me not want to participate in this thread. When the same three posters act like they are absolute experts in epidemiology, economics, refining petroleum, government, theme park management, and GPS contact tracing, we're not have a conversation in good faith.
Yep. I definitely need to see peoples youtube subscription list before I am ready to declare them an expert.

Lilofan

I have been thinking the same thing. Too many are focused on when it reopens. What about having to with no parades, no fireworks, no characters and social distancing in place.
Don't worry about getting that Florida tan on your face wearing a hat, sunglasses and the mask that covers half your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom