Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

MA has been cited as being the "new" hot-spot. My step-sister basically confirms this - she runs a non-ICU hospital floor that's been designated for COVID-19, and she says it's "been getting worse and worse by the day". Her job is such that she doesn't rely on N95 masks - she has a powered face shield that blows air away from her, preventing particles from even getting close to her face.

jmp85

We might as well say if it wasn’t for Washington, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey,(add a states here) that the US is doing great. It doesn’t work like that, especially with a virus that spreads so easily like this one. Last time I checked this states were still in the US. One wrong move and we can be naming another few.

Weren't most of the closures/restrictions imposed at the state level? The removal of said restrictions is definitely occurring at the state level (governors have made that clear). If that's the case, then shouldn't we be evaluating the response of each state? I know everyone wanted to throw Arkansas under the bus for not issuing a stay at home order, and now everyone wants to complain about Georgia. If the reopening goes poorly, am I allowed to now evaluate Georgia at the state level? Would that be any different that evaluating what's happening in New York?

TrainsOfDisney

You would be asked to get tested, then if positive quarantine. Why would you want to risk the lives others by being selfish?

It's just a more high tech system than the same process that is used now for HIV, Hepatitis and TB.

Ah maybe I didn’t understand... I thought if you were “exposed” you had to quarantine because it doesn’t show up for 7+ days?

JohnD

Gov De Santis will be on at 4:30 for briefing which should include tourism. Still lagging with unemployment but now 14% of claims have been paid.

Not liking the high unemployment but these are crazy times. Hoping the percentage of paid claims goes up quickly. The Secretary of the Department of Management Services (where I work) has taken over the leadership of correcting the unemployment website.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Weren't most of the closures/restrictions imposed at the state level? The removal of said restrictions is definitely occurring at the state level (governors have made that clear). If that's the case, then shouldn't we be evaluating the response of each state? I know everyone wanted to throw Arkansas under the bus for not issuing a stay at home order, and now everyone wants to complain about Georgia. If the reopening goes poorly, am I allowed to now evaluate Georgia at the state level? Would that be any different that evaluating what's happening in New York?

In Florida, nearly all of the restrictions were done at the county vs the state level so for anything to change, it will have to happen at that level. Most of what's in place here now expires at the end of calendar April. We'll have to see in the next few days if they decide to extend the current restrictions, or amend them going forward. I know many people are assuming things will start to ease on 5/1 around here. It's unclear whether that will be possible but many small business are currently assuming that.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Yep and the reality is the high population density is the reason for the massive problems in that area. You might as well be on a cruise ship as to be living in the NYC area. Last time I visited someone in NYC their apartment didn't have any special air system that pumped their air directly outside and sucked in air from outside, the air in an apartment building is going to eventually drift throughout the hole building. I might take a while for some viruses shed on the 14th floor to make it to the 4th floor but it will happen after a while.

Don't use COVID-19 as some grand indication that we supposedly live in a high population stinkhole. We've done pretty well here before this started rampaging this country. You'd have to go back a long time to find any evidence of a viral disaster at this level. Truth is, more people travel to cities than they do to other areas in the country. 65 Million people travel to NYC each year. But obviously, we don't know how to keep clean and it's something to do with our air circulation.

Lilofan

When barbershops open, I'll be first in line.
I did not think that this would be handy during covid times. I bought a new $19.99 Norelco 360 degree do it yourself hair cut trimmer approx 9 years ago. I have not paid for a haircut ever since. I figured I have saved a few thousand dollars over the years. The Norelco model is no longer in production. A few years ago new models were selling for $250 a piece on eBay.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ah maybe I didn’t understand... I thought if you were “exposed” you had to quarantine because it doesn’t show up for 7+ days?
The way I understood the apps would be used is you would be alerted if anyone you came within X number of feet of in he last X number of days tested positive. Most likely 6 feet and 14 days. When you get the alert you then get tested immediately. Assuming the 15 min tests became common you would know right away. You only quarantine if you test positive. If the tests take days then it won’t work. They need the quick tests in mass numbers.

JohnD

I did not think that this would be handy during covid times. I bought a new $19.99 Norelco 360 degree do it yourself hair cut trimmer approx 9 years ago. I have not paid for a haircut ever since. I figured I have saved a few thousand dollars over the years. The Norelco model is no longer in production. A few years ago new models were selling for $250 a piece on eBay.

If those models can be found now on eBay, I bet they're selling for a fortune.

So, I have some questions about contact tracing. Maybe someone can help clarify things for me a bit. I keep hearing that testing and contact tracing will be the next step towards reopening. However, I have a hard time reconciling that with asymptomatic carriers / mild symptom cases who may not be tested. These people are going to be out there spreading the virus without ever getting tested. If this thing is half as contagious as we think it might be, will contact tracing even matter? It seems like we're all going to get this at some point.
I would say that if the software shows 10 people getting symptoms after coming into contact with an asymptomatic person maybe......

Lilofan

Yep and the reality is the high population density is the reason for the massive problems in that area. You might as well be on a cruise ship as to be living in the NYC area. Last time I visited someone in NYC their apartment didn't have any special air system that pumped their air directly outside and sucked in air from outside, the air in an apartment building is going to eventually drift throughout the hole building. I might take a while for some viruses shed on the 14th floor to make it to the 4th floor but it will happen after a while.
In those cramped NYC apts where people live on top of each other, the ventilation system is so poor that many residents can smell what everyone is cooking and frying.

DisneyDebRob

I was responding to you original post of:
jmp85 said:
Removing New York / New Jersey from the U.S. would make a huge difference.
That statement made no points of who governs.. what levels decisions are being made or removals of restrictions . My point was made on that post. That’s a whole other conversation.

Polynesia

Not liking the high unemployment but these are crazy times. Hoping the percentage of paid claims goes up quickly. The Secretary of the Department of Management Services (where I work) has taken over the leadership of correcting the unemployment website.
Thank you for doing that. So many people are desperately depending on this money.

Polynesia

a data point to consider: My sister-in-law owns a hair salon in Georgia. She was slammed with calls/texts/emails the same evening that Kemp made the announcement. So many clients wanting to get their hair done, but there are restrictions on how many stylists can be working, number of clients, etc.
I know that I’ll go when I’m allowed 😊

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
In those cramped NYC apts where people live on top of each other, the ventilation system is so poor that many residents can smell what everyone is cooking and frying.

Maybe in the hallways of certain buildings but in all my years, I've never smelled anything seep into an apartment other than the occasional repainting just outside the door.

The contract tracing thing is interesting... if it’s required i think people will leave phones at home / in the car more often. I mean if you know taking your phone in to the Starbucks could result in a 14 day mandatory quarantine... wouldn’t you leave it in the car?
No because it will alert you if someone with symptoms was around and help you not to infect your mom and dad next weekend.

lazyboy97o

The contract tracing thing is interesting... if it’s required i think people will leave phones at home / in the car more often. I mean if you know taking your phone in to the Starbucks could result in a 14 day mandatory quarantine... wouldn’t you leave it in the car?
Who is talking about mandatory quarantines? The Apple/Google proposal is also opt-in, so if you want to be selfish you just do not turn it on. The potential upside to the Apple/Google system is that the infected person does not have to know you nor do you have to remember if you were in that Starbucks at that time and got too close to the infected person.

Last edited:

hopemax

So, I have some questions about contact tracing. Maybe someone can help clarify things for me a bit. I keep hearing that testing and contact tracing will be the next step towards reopening. However, I have a hard time reconciling that with asymptomatic carriers / mild symptom cases who may not be tested. These people are going to be out there spreading the virus without ever getting tested. If this thing is half as contagious as we think it might be, will contact tracing even matter? It seems like we're all going to get this at some point.

The goal is not to catch everyone all at once. Or stop all infections. Day 0 - You get infected, but are asymtomatic. At some point on days 1-4 you pass it to someone who gets sick 5 days later (say, Day 9), but has potentially spread it around on days 5-8. On Day 10, their friends, family and co-workers get tested and go into isolation awaiting their test results. In this group you find positives. Some of those people will eventually get sick, some of those people would have been asymptomatic. But all of them were sitting on their couch in isolation on Days 10, 11, 12, etc. instead of being out there in the world spreading it without knowing. Chains broken. You aren't trying to stop what happens on Days 1-9. What you are trying to do is minimize, not eliminate, what would have happened on Day 10 and beyond.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom