Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

The whole premise that lock downs, stay at home etc., was sold on was to reduce the infection rate to one that could be handled by our healthcare systems.
I believe that many people from civilians to politicians have lost sight of that.

Yes, the message has certainly changed over the past month. "Flatten the curve" has been the mantra, but we have changed the reasoning.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
um. quick math is under .6%

Autocorrect on my phone. Nevertheless, what America is doing with the lockdown isn't right. Sweden has a better model IMO for handling the virus.

We're currently awaiting our results since we believe it ran through our family at the end of January, early Feb (we're in California, where they now know it was here in November). If indeed it was covid-19, I'll be glad to have had it and be done with it. The mass hysteria that we're all gonna die if we touch a box is completely unfounded.

View attachment 465188
United States
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths
Wait a minute...

Unless a lot of the medical experts are lying...Sweden isn’t doing that great of a job...at least not as compared to its Scandinavian counterparts - which is the right comparison points.

It was very popular with those who wanted not to do anything for this about two weeks ago...but then of course data started to flaw that theory. Hasn’t stopped anybody from repeating it though...apparently.

The best examples are Singapore, South Korea and Germany as far as response...no nonsense and coordinated.

And no offense...but I’m not nearly as impressed by that chart at the bottom with less than 2 months elapsed...not a source of national pride IMHO

hopemax

I'd like to get more information on exactly what they are doing in S. Korea. I know they had an "advantage" in that the most serious early outbreak was contained to one region. However, I'd like to know what they were doing when they were getting 100 +/- new cases a day consistently for around a month and now have it down even further. I remember reading about masks and temperature screening along with testing. However, at this point the USA has done more testing per capita than South Korea so it isn't just testing that has allowed the control.
That information is out there. Google contact tracing and South Korea. I know you have disregarded that option as a viable solution, but it is a central part of South Korea's response. Trace, Test, Isolate. The Government posts detailed statistics of who (no names, but age, gender, etc), when, where. Private companies have developed apps that map the government's data. People downloaded the apps and use them. If a positive is recorded in their neighborhood, people change their behavior and movements, show up to be tested and self-isolate. Lather, rinse, repeat.

DisneyCane

Here is the issue, when people say WE need to accept death and illness, they almost never accept that the WE could include THEM.
I accept it. There is risk of death or illness in a lot
That information is out there. Google contact tracing and South Korea. I know you have disregarded that option as a viable solution, but it is a central part of South Korea's response. Trace, Test, Isolate. The Government posts detailed statistics of who (no names, but age, gender, etc), when, where. Private companies have developed apps that map the government's data. People downloaded the apps and use them. If a positive is recorded in their neighborhood, people change their behavior and movements, show up to be tested and self-isolate. Lather, rinse, repeat.
No. I have said that IF asymptomatic spreaders are driving a large proportion of the spread then contact tracing won't be very effective. Anything involving tracking apps isn't going to fly in the US. Nowhere close to the whole population will let themselves be tracked and their medical data be inputted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There was no $600 bonus then.
This is true

The issue there is to some areas that’s a ton of money and others it’s nothing at all. There’s a wide range.

Definitely more expensive to the feds, but they print the money. We can skip the banter about longterm debt...we know that’s a game that’s played.

The numbers are staggering on UE and we don’t know how “temporary” they are yet...two years of the Great Recession have been filed in a month and there’s a data lag. Don’t think we’ll see a small number for at least another month.

Everyone tends to trash the safety net...but there’s a reason it’s called a “net” and not a “slide”

thomas998

Contact Tracing.

It seems to me that the only way to really get Disneyworld open and get Guests to safely come back will be to institute a mandatory Contact Tracing system. Going and Apple have already put the tools in place for developers to use their devices for contact Tracing. Just like some Asian states now require it to move about and use public transportation I foresee Disney requiring guests to use something like this. It will obviously not be the only tool used but I think it's a useful measure alongside some of the other feasibly instituted measure such as, temperature checks, masks, some social distancing practices.
PS. Personally I really don't like it as the privacy implications I find quite scary but I suspect if it meant I could some to Disney world again then I would use such an app. I am so thankful that our family got to spend one week their this January as I suspect just like 911 the parks will be forever changed after.
Have you looked at how the contact tracing works? It is pointless as it only informs you if you were in close proximity to someone that was later determined to be infected. Well when testing only happens to a small portion of the 20% that get symptoms and then feel bad enough to go to the hospital how many times will you have come into contact with someone that asymptomatic or even had symptoms but didn't feel bad enough to try and find a test somewhere. At this point the contact testing is useless but lets look at the next problem. The infected person goes to a counter and coughs while paying, he then leaves, you come up a minute later to where he was inhale all the little viruses he left in the air but are not notified of ever being in proximity to him because he was gone and out of range when you arrived at the infection point. Again this system is more theater to make people think they are doing something but it doesn't do anything in reality except convince some people to drop their guard. If this is the road we are headed down then everyone should just go find the nearest infected person and give them a big wet kiss so that everyone can get the virus and either recover or die, but at the very least put it all to rest.

Kevin_W

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To get back on topic, thoughts about D'Amaro and the head of USR being part of the Florida panel to re-open the state?

Well that makes sense...

What I didn’t see what enough former pols on there...I think there perspective is of more value that sitting one’s in some cases. That’s just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom