Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know it pains people to read but Disney will be the last thing to reopen. I've said it from the beginning (while people laughed).

Much more problematic - my opinion - than the two things people always falsely compare them to when they defend price hikes:

Sporting events and broadway shows.

The 24/7, 7 or more time periods leave an exponential list of risks scenarios. More than Disney Knows they can account for. They are very good with data.

Disstevefan1

I was very ill the end of January and I live near Orlando. I went to the ER (second visit) on January 31 with prolonged fever, nasty cough, nausea and shortness of breath. I was found to have pneumonia and the doctor did a d-dimer test which showed possible blood clot. The CT scan showed a very significant pulmonary embolism and I was airlifted to a larger hospital in Orlando for a catheterization to break up the clot. Reading previous posts about blood clots really hit home. I don’t know if I had Covid, though I seem to have a text book case, I’m still very careful. I left the hospital with an enlarged heart. So people do need to realize that the blood clots are very serious. I’m hoping to get an antibody test to confirm with way.

WOW! Very scary!!! I am glad you made it through!!! Very well could have been COVID !!!! I know it’s a personal matter but I know we would all want to know how the antibody test comes out if you get it.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Much more problematic - my opinion - than the two things people always falsely compare them to when they defend price hikes:

Sporting events and broadway shows.

The 24/7, 7 or more time periods leave an exponential list of risks scenarios. More than Disney Knows they can account for. They are very good with data.

If there's two things scientific models can't predict: it's lawsuits and optics. Oh, how I hate the word optics.

jrhwdw

A tad early...

But I don’t think Iger is playing around when he sees the threat of liability.

They’ll sooner mothball than follow bad public policy...
We all don't want Bad and Potentially Damaging PR for Disney but We can't keep America shut down till 2021!! Who can hold on to their Jobs?!?!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WOW! Very scary!!! I am glad you made it through!!! Very well could have been COVID !!!! I know it’s a personal matter but I know we would all want to know how the antibody test comes out if you get it.
We were at universal in late January and all four of us had weird viral symptoms for near the whole month of February...lasted for long times and two were tested and negative for the flu.

We are rarely sick as a family. You do the math.

Ironically...my symptoms were the most mild and I’m the “at risk” one...but I don’t get sick, so there’s that too.

Lilofan

We all don't want Bad and Potentially Damaging PR for Disney but We can't keep America shut down till 2021!! Who can hold on to their Jobs?!?!
All the jobs cannot be saved but one can bet there will be an overwhelming turnout of applicants.

Kevin_W

Are the cutting the required school days for this year? Indiana waived 20 days so now last day is May 7th, no Monday or Friday Elearning. They would have been going until May 22nd before.

They did not say anything about cutting days; our district said "proceed with online learning for the rest of the year". fore some reason, my daughter's school is alternating days between periods 1-4 and periods 5-8, so they are effectively doing half days.

SierraT

Also taken from the task force meeting. One of the leadership team members is on the Florida re-open task force along with several other large businesses in Florida. They will work all week on a plan and will update this coming Friday, April 24 (I couldn’t hear his name because my kids were chatting - loudly ha!).

Polynesia

Thank you for your kind words. I will post the results once I can get a test. I’m just not sure how to get one. I see my cardiologist next month and I’ll ask him.

hopemax

How does that happen, actually? Im texting a group of engineers from my company and none of us can do the math...neither can the accountants or the lawyers.
It has to do with oil contracts for May deliveries, that expire tomorrow. It does not mean that oil prices going forward are that low. It just means there aren't a lot of people looking for oil before contracts expire tomorrow, to be delivered in May because their tanks are full from April's lack of demand.

Think of it this way. You have a WDW ticket that has to be used by May 31st and you have to have it out of your hands by tomorrow. What price does it have to be for people to buy it? Right now, you will have to pay someone to take it.

thomas998

I was very ill the end of January and I live near Orlando. I went to the ER (second visit) on January 31 with prolonged fever, nasty cough, nausea and shortness of breath. I was found to have pneumonia and the doctor did a d-dimer test which showed possible blood clot. The CT scan showed a very significant pulmonary embolism and I was airlifted to a larger hospital in Orlando for a catheterization to break up the clot. Reading previous posts about blood clots really hit home. I don’t know if I had Covid, though I seem to have a text book case, I’m still very careful. I left the hospital with an enlarged heart. So people do need to realize that the blood clots are very serious. I’m hoping to get an antibody test to confirm with way.
You might want to hold off on the antibody test unless you see a real benefit from knowing the results, or at the very least get one under an assumed name. In the future you may want to get a new life insurance policy and being a known victim of the virus could cause you to have higher premiums or be rejected outright. Something to consider with any medical tests, if you really need the test then do it, but if its more for curiosity whether this antibody test or one any other number of tests... remember the results will follow you around for life.

jrhwdw

All the jobs cannot be saved but one can bet there will be an overwhelming turnout of applicants.
True. Sorry! I'm just worried when I can go into the office. I know my job is safe for now but if everything is shutdown for 6, 12, 18 more months . You do start to wonder...
They did not say anything about cutting days; our district said "proceed with online learning for the rest of the year". fore some reason, my daughter's school is alternating days between periods 1-4 and periods 5-8, so they are effectively doing half days.
No talk of cutting days in WI. We're just online the rest of the year, since WI is shutdown till May 26th

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has to do with oil contracts for May deliveries, that expire tomorrow. It does not mean that oil prices going forward are that low. It just means there aren't a lot of people looking for oil before contracts expire tomorrow, to be delivered in May because their tanks are full from April's lack of demand.

Think of it this way. You have a WDW ticket that has to be used by May 31st and you have to have it out of your hands by tomorrow. What price does it have to be for people to buy it? Right now, you will have to pay someone to take it.
I saw somewhere that the refineries have exceeded their capacity to store it...so it’s a “theoretical” reason for “negative” value.

Polynesia

We were at universal in late January and all four of us had weird viral symptoms for near the whole month of February...lasted for long times and two were tested and negative for the flu.

We are rarely sick as a family. You do the math.

Ironically...my symptoms were the most mild and I’m the “at risk” one...but I don’t get sick, so there’s that too.
I also tested negative for the flu at my first ER visit after being sick about four days. When I was hospitalized ten days later I tested positive for type A flu, which apparently is very common when having covid. You get seasonal flu along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom