Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Soooo what happens if a vaccine isn’t available until next year? Does Disney still open for the 50th?

Nobody knows yet. It's going to be at least August before Disney is comfortable doing anything, but that is all dependent on how things go within Florida and elsewhere in the US. If Florida (and the country as a whole) isn't testing enough people and sees a big spike, then you're looking at a long time.

The reality is Disney, sports events, concerts, etc will be the absolute last thing to come back online.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is they don't understand what flattening the curve means. They naively assumed a normal distribution. Instead flattening the curve should take into account the area under the curve. A flattened curve is a curve with a reduced amplitude and extended frequency. That means, with all things being equal, the Covid19 flattened curve with have just as many total fatalities but distributed over a longer time.

It's a little more nuanced than that with multiple effects of distancing and isolation.

The efforts made to stop the spread of an contagion does flatten the peak and spread out infections over time. And if, in the end, everyone gets infected, then what you just said is true, i.e., the area under the curve remains constant whether the curve has a peak or is flattened.

However, distancing and isolation can actually lower the total who get infected by:
1. keeping people safe until there is a vaccine​
2. keeping people safe until there is herd immunity and the virus spreads very slowly​
3. keeping people safe until there is herd immunity and testing/tracing contains the virus​

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
We know the vaccine is a long ways away but what if they find drugs that help cure anyone who gets the virus and then not be hospitalized or on a ventilator. I don’t hear much about those possibilities in the news but that would be a good thing and I think make us all feel a little safer as well as we likely continue some sort of safer herd immunity until a vaccine is ready

ohioguy

Nobody knows yet. It's going to be at least August before Disney is comfortable doing anything, but that is all dependent on how things go within Florida and elsewhere in the US. If Florida (and the country as a whole) isn't testing enough people and sees a big spike, then you're looking at a long time.

The reality is Disney, sports events, concerts, etc will be the absolute last thing to come back online.

It looks like the themes parks we have in Ohio will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Cedar Point and Kings Island are huge employers and bring a lot of travelers to the state. Our Governor basically said the Ohio State Fair was DOA this year.

celluloid

Cedar fair is still hiring and trying to prepare for an opening of their bigger parks this summer still. No clue how they'll do it as they hire lots of international employees (Travel ban) and college students whose family/parents might not let them go someother state and work in a crowded environment during a perceived pandemic even if risk is minimal.

I have a hunch that some Cedar Fair/seasonal Parks will not open at all this year.

allymonkey

Cedar fair is still hiring and trying to prepare for an opening of their bigger parks this summer still. No clue how they'll do it as they hire lots of international employees (Travel ban) and college students whose family/parents might not let them go someother state and work in a crowded environment during a perceived pandemic even if risk is minimal.

Cedar Point may be planning for hiring but the most recent messages on their website make it sound like they don't anticipate having a very long season. For some 2020 season passes that are already purchased, they are extending their expiration to the end of the 2021 summer.

The Mom

Premium Member
Just a reminder.
No political discussion
No further arguments about whether we should/should not have taken actions to stop the spread, whether medical trials should or should not be conducted, whether we should or should not risk our economy versus risking lives.
Thread drifts will happen, but derailments of threads will be edited, and discussion brought back on track as much as possible.

And so on. People have been warned multiple times - both by posts such as this one, and on an individual basis.

Please reread the ToS (found on the very bottom of the page) to familiarize yourself with what is and is not acceptable. Thank you

The Mom

Premium Member
Hey, @The Mom: I noticed one of my comments posted a day or two back had a tag put on it (rightly so) about political content. Is that a new feature? And, does it prevent replies to a comment with that tag? Or, is it a warning that could be followed by a ban from the thread? Genuine questions, not a criticism at all. Appreciate all you do!!!

It has a tag, and still does. I've gone back and forth on leaving the post itself, using it as an example of what is not allowed, and hoipng that people notice it so do not quote it. They don't seem to notice. So I went back and delted the whole post.

Could it be followed by a ban from the thread if the warning is not heeded? Yes.

Last edited:

Mander

In the Parks
No
I believe you, but we might also see the opposite happen, at least on some level.

People who never took online courses might see them as an escape from the boredom of whatever they have been doing for the last few months. With our local libraries closed, and people unable to get print books, all the e-books, audio-books and every form of digital media have all become very popular.

The longer this goes on, the more people will get tired of video games, sports re-runs, and re-watching old movies. I think at least part of the population is going to crave knowledge.

There is also a long history of advising people to continue their education during recessions, if possible. as education is connected to employment opportunities.

It's possible. I'd guess more so for schools with already developed online programs than schools like mine. Ironically, I was just admitted yesterday to a one year post-grad certificate program in Tourism & Hospitality Management. It's what I'd actually like to do for work, I just sort of fell into Higher Ed and don't care for it all that much (though am extremely thankful to have my job right now). I just can't decide if I should go ahead with it now or wait a year. My husband has been out of work since December and was about to start a new job but then this stopped that. He's still got the position, they just can't open. But ultimately I would like to be back working in Hotel Management, so we'll see.

Sorry for the personal rambling there! I do think cost is large barrier to folks taking those classes. We're close to $500/credit hour. They are discounting classes for the summer session but it still works out to about $1,000 per class. I'm not sure how many have that available right now.

surfsupdon

I tend to agree. Extending passes for the entirety of 2021, while a nice gesture, I think also exposed just how dire things are for the remainder of this season.
I would disagree and say it is more about the gesture than dire circumstances. Disney will only extend your pass the number of days closed (fair). Seasonal parks are giving you the current season (however long) plus the entirety of next season (more than fair).
I also do not think it is a bad, foreboding sign. My Local Six Flags has been running promotions similar to this for years- buy your pass now and get all of next season, too.

lazyboy97o

Knott’s Betty Farm extended passes to 2021 very shorty after closing. I think the move may be more a reflection of Cedar Fair’s largely seasonal business and how their systems are built around that seasonality, and not some sort of knowledge regarding reopening. It’s a lot easier to just give everyone 2021 than figure out a way to give partial refunds or extend days for each park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom