Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know it’s been thrown around that a vaccine takes 18 months minimum but that’s in the old way of the world. This is a new reality. If it turns out we really can’t open the world up until there’s a vaccine, we can’t just have the world economy sunk for 18 months. It may be time to consider fast tracking a vaccine. I know they normally have multiple rounds of human testing but if there is a vaccine that could be ready by the fall for emergency use maybe the focus needs to be to ramp that up so enough people are immune to reach a level of herd immunity sooner than 18 months. I know there are risks but there are other risks associated with a deep depression.

peter11435

What do you mean by "open things up?" Be specific.

If you mean Disney, no it won't be open. I promise you.
I didn’t think I needed to be more specific because I thought it was pretty clear. I’m not specifically referring to Disney. I’m referring to as a country (and on local levels) those in charge (who are not doctors or scientists) will push for things to open back up before the experts think is appropriate.

Disney will not be open before the federal and state governments give the ok and even then it will be well after many other things have resumed operation. But. It will likely still be earlier than those in the health and science community would suggest.

manmythlegend

I know it’s been thrown around that a vaccine takes 18 months minimum but that’s in the old way of the world. This is a new reality. If it turns out we really can’t open the world up until there’s a vaccine, we can’t just have the world economy sunk for 18 months. It may be time to consider fast tracking a vaccine. I know they normally have multiple rounds of human testing but if there is a vaccine that could be ready by the fall for emergency use maybe the focus needs to be to ramp that up so enough people are immune to reach a level of herd immunity sooner than 18 months. I know there are risks but there are other risks associated with a deep depression.

Yes but good luck getting a bunch of people to get vaccinated if they don't know the risks. Given the very low death rate of covid, the discussion would be which is riskier.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I'm guessing that will most likely change when they get to that point.

I read that as you will have the choice to work from home past May without penalty. Which I think you will see MANY companies put in place. I only went to my client's office once a week, but I doubt I will be going back there (based on the communications I've received from them for their entire company) before our contract runs out with them (either end of year or through the first half of 2021). Just my thoughts based on what we're seeing other companies do.

manmythlegend

I didn’t think I needed to be more specific because I thought it was pretty clear. I’m not specifically referring to Disney. I’m referring to as a country (and on local levels) those in charge (who are not doctors or scientists) will push for things to open back up before the experts think is appropriate.

Disney will not be open before the federal and state governments give the ok and even then it will be well after many other things have resumed operation. But. It will likely still be earlier than those in the health and science community would suggest.

I still don't know what "open things up" means. Restaurants? Sports? Parks? What changes because someone in power waves their magic wand? Do you think people are just going to rush out of their homes on Day 1 because a "leader" says it's time folks?

peter11435

I still don't know what "open things up" means. Restaurants? Sports? Parks? What changes because someone in power waves their magic wand? Do you think people are just going to rush out of their homes on Day 1 because a "leader" says it's time folks?
This really isn’t that hard of a concept.

Those things didn’t close because people stopped going. If things are open people will start to go again.

Flugell

Perhaps Disney could develop a virtual headset that we could purchase and then they could sell time at the parks to allow us to feel that we were on the rides, watching the shows, seeing the crowds and the sunshine. I might even be brave enough to go on Space Mountain, which I hate in reality...... if the cost of the headset development was excessive then share development costs with other theme parks throughout Florida, the USA or across the world. It could later be available, at a cost, as a vacation planning tool. Told you I was thinking!!

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

A lot, unfortunately. And that's the thing. But I still think WDW is going to assess things further no matter what the government says.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Perhaps Disney could develop a virtual headset that we could purchase and then they could sell time at the parks to allow us to feel that we were on the rides, watching the shows, seeing the crowds and the sunshine. I might even be brave enough to go on Space Mountain, which I hate in reality...... if the cost of the headset development was excessive then share development costs with other theme parks throughout Florida, the USA or across the world. It could later be available, at a cost, as a vacation planning tool. Told you I was thinking!!

I'll take the After Hours add-on with cupcake recipes for $299.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I read that as you will have the choice to work from home past May without penalty. Which I think you will see MANY companies put in place. I only went to my client's office once a week, but I doubt I will be going back there (based on the communications I've received from them for their entire company) before our contract runs out with them (either end of year or through the first half of 2021). Just my thoughts based on what we're seeing other companies do.
Yeah I just can't see offices giving the option in late-May. I still think there will be gov't mandated SIP in June. Also I think it will a phased return to work for many companies. Space is another consideration, as far as spacing desks apart from each other, etc.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah I just can't see offices giving the option in late-May. I still think there will be gov't mandated SIP in June. Also I think it will a phased return to work for many companies. Space is another consideration, as far as spacing desks apart from each other, etc.

Yeah, I imagine in many places that will be the case. I guess they're just getting ahead of it and letting workers know that if you want to just work from home, you can even if the office reopens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This really isn’t that hard of a concept.

Those things didn’t close because people stopped going. If things are open people will start to go again.
Everyone wants to get the heck out and do stuff so if we’re told it’s safe people will go, but if there’s a surge in new cases people will likely head right back home even if the government keeps things open. Once people lose faith in their leader‘s ability to keep them safe they will stop listening.

peter11435

Well apparently it is because you aren't answering the question ;)
What is hard to understand? Currently essentially everything is closed. The exact order of how things start to open back up remains to be seen but it will obviously start small. But it starts with the government lifting some restrictions. Small local businesses, restaurants, and local parks etc... things go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom