Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

I got a double-major bachelor's degree online through a university that offered online programs and also had a brick-and-mortar campus that was 100 years old - took 5 1/2 years. The first two years were TOO easy...lower-level general education classes mixed with other classes that were meant to ensure everyone was on the same level in regards to close reading, writing skills, how to do proper research, etc. Let's just say the results among my classmates were VERY varied. Now that I'm finished, I'd equate those 2 years to a community college. I don't fault the university for needing to ensure students were prepared for what would be expected of them...that falls squarely on the shoulders of the public education system and really highlighted for me how unequal education is in America.

The 3rd and 4th years were far more challenging, and included the higher level general education classes as well as the lower level classes that counted towards my majors (English and education). I actually really enjoyed those years because the work was challenging and interesting. It finally felt like I was really "attending university".

The last year-and-a-half of my program were extraordinarily difficult. It's not that the work was any more challenging or difficult than the 3rd and 4th years even though it was the higher-level classes for my majors, it's that the work-load was to the point of barely being bearable - I was a stay-at-home mom the entire time, with my boys in school all day, and even though I read fast, there were times I simply couldn't keep up because I'd kill myself to meet one deadline, then immediately had to meet another deadline, with no time to catch up on rest in between. At the time, it really felt like students were set up to fail simply because they wanted to keep the programs to 4 years. Classroom discussions were due on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with responses to peers and papers (usually 20 pages not including references) due on Mondays. The only time off the school provided was two weeks after Christmas. Any other time off had to be approved, and extended your program length (which is why it took me 5 1/2 years). No time off between classes - classes were one at a time and lasted 5 weeks in an asynchronous environment. I spent that last year-and-a-half in a fog because of lack of sleep and actually ended up in the hospital with pneumonia after having a bad cold. I DID finish my program, and I'm glad I did it...but I would NEVER encourage anyone to seek a degree higher than an associates in an online-only environment - the demands on time are just too much and health (mental AND physical) becomes a genuine concern. We received a monthly "health" newsletter that was cute, but given how much time had to be devoted to studies, wasn't realistic at all with it's suggestions.

All that being said, as technology improves and we're able to connect to each other in easier ways, I'm not against a combination of online/in-person schooling - HOWEVER...how such a program is implemented is EXTREMELY important, and I'm not sure we're even close to having a good grasp on that yet in any sort of consistent way.

That school sounds AMAZING! I would love to see colleges/universities get together and share implementation plans - as you can see above, my university studies were trying to say the least. (I graduated 2 years ago)

I should make clear that I'm not against online education either in principle or in practice. It's a really great option for those who can't or don't want to take classes in person. But far from paving the way for the abandonment of physical campuses, this crisis is only underscoring just how much we need them.

Congrats on your double major! That's a really impressive achievement!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was only referring to national parks, not monuments or anything of that sort.
I took my kids out to CA last summer (thank God we didn’t wait a year) and we hit Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Yosemite while we were out there. There were many points in our days where we didn’t see another person for an hour or more at a time. There were some tourist bottlenecks like the famous big sequoia trees and pretty much all of Yosemite Valley, but there are so many other parts of the parks that are wide open. I think it would be relatively easy to social distance except for those central places. One aspect that’s difficult is lodging. Lots of people camp and that would be more problematic with shared facilities.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My wife works for a major insurance provider and they announced today that working from home will continue till May 29 and then staying home to work will be optional.
I’ve written off May at this point for me going back to the office. In a way we are a victim of our own success with working remotely. There haven‘t been any major problems so there’s no rush to bring people back.

DisneyDebRob

Last edited:

manmythlegend

I took my kids out to CA last summer (thank God we didn’t wait a year) and we hit Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Yosemite while we were out there. There were many points in our days where we didn’t see another person for an hour or more at a time. There were some tourist bottlenecks like the famous big sequoia trees and pretty much all of Yosemite Valley, but there are so many other parts of the parks that are wide open. I think it would be relatively easy to social distance except for those central places. One aspect that’s difficult is lodging. Lots of people camp and that would be more problematic with shared facilities.

Yeah I think with Yosemite, you'd have to just put a hard cap on the number of vehicles that are allowed to enter the park. I'm sure they have stats on what sort of numbers make sense during a time of social distancing.

DisneyDebRob

peter11435

Excuse me if someone posted this already, I missed it if it was. Florida SG says no group gatherings like DW should open until vaccine.
Just because he says they should wait doesn’t mean they will.

Notice how quickly he disappeared from the event after saying this

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

My guess is that if we're still online in the fall, we'll see a big drop off in enrollment. The students I've spoken to would rather wait than deal with this again. I certainly don't blame them.

I believe you, but we might also see the opposite happen, at least on some level.

People who never took online courses might see them as an escape from the boredom of whatever they have been doing for the last few months. With our local libraries closed, and people unable to get print books, all the e-books, audio-books and every form of digital media have all become very popular.

The longer this goes on, the more people will get tired of video games, sports re-runs, and re-watching old movies. I think at least part of the population is going to crave knowledge.

There is also a long history of advising people to continue their education during recessions, if possible. as education is connected to employment opportunities.

DisneyDebRob

Not attacking the messenger just trying to keep things realistic. There’s going to be a lot of “should do’s” and “could do’s” thrown around and all to meet specific interests of those they come from.
What are the specific interests for the surgeon general who made this announcement? It’s not a Disney Exec or a CEO of a major company. Just wondering what’s in it for him .

Flugell

Beware, I’m thinking again! Is it possible that the current situation will slowly become normal and the eventual return to what we knew become a new normal? I’m really hoping not! Naahhh couldn’t be........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom