Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My county has an interesting contingency plan:
Now like it says, it hasn't been needed:
However, before the rink is used, there are a few other options like the morgue at Heritage Valley and a refrigerated truck on-site that can hold 20 bodies.

The local senior complex that was having a outbreak still isn't doing well either.
Lol...get the hell out of here 😂

And I didn’t know you spoke yinzese...i’ll Remember that.

huwar18

My county has an interesting contingency plan:
Now like it says, it hasn't been needed AND was done earlier this month:
However, before the rink is used, there are a few other options like the morgue at Heritage Valley and a refrigerated truck on-site that can hold 20 bodies.

The local senior complex that was having a outbreak still isn't doing well either.

Edit: Sharing because it's genuinely interesting (to me at least). Not trying to fear monger.

Isn't that crazy! When I opened the article on WPXI, I was shocked!

monykalyn

This already started with newer theaters having less seats but more comfortable with recliners and more space between seats. A lot offer more food options as well as alcohol too. More money per person with less people per theater seems to be the model.
Our Alamo Drafthouse could easily implement social distancing-the recliners are already larger, and the rows between the seats are pretty wide. We drop a pretty penny to see movies here as they have great food as well! My "holiday" daughter (DD's bestest friend who has spent summers and holidays with us until she moved to Germany to study beer making) made a boatload of money a couple summers ago working part time! It's been a few years since we've been to Disney Springs theater-As I recall they were more on the "traditional" style theaters...
That and the workers suffer. SEPTA already lost some employees to the virus so they tried to be proactive with a rule, but it’s impossible to enforce.
Unless they are handing clean masks out at the door to the bus to those who need one-how would they enforce it? We are comfortable but many cannot afford nor have the means to make one of their own.

jinx8402

Keith makes some good arguments for why WDW could make sense as a place for the NBA to continue it's season. Especially when you consider sports have, somehow, been deemed essential in Florida (as long as they are closed to the public). Not that I think this is going to happen though.

Polynesia

I think Splittsville would be a fairly easy open. Using every other lane would keep you 6 feet apart easily. You’d be with your group. They’d need hand sanitizers at each lane after you use the bowling ball. Better yet bring your own if you have one. Their dining tables could be placed farther apart.

ImperfectPixie

Agree and agree

1. Schools will be transitioning away from brick and Mortar anyway...that has been predicted and will now accelerate. It’s just too expensive to operate bloated campuses and the funding will not be there

2. Disney will have to lose a lot of overhead money to restart...which means limited restarts and slow ramp up to capacity are major financial issues for them. Last I checked the stock was still listed on the market.
You can’t replicate a college experience online. There is no substitute for in-class teaching and learning, quite apart from the fact that students are missing out on the social interactions and extracurricular activities that are so key to their formation. Everyone I know in academia is itching to return to campus when it is safe to do so.
I got a double-major bachelor's degree online through a university that offered online programs and also had a brick-and-mortar campus that was 100 years old - took 5 1/2 years. The first two years were TOO easy...lower-level general education classes mixed with other classes that were meant to ensure everyone was on the same level in regards to close reading, writing skills, how to do proper research, etc. Let's just say the results among my classmates were VERY varied. Now that I'm finished, I'd equate those 2 years to a community college. I don't fault the university for needing to ensure students were prepared for what would be expected of them...that falls squarely on the shoulders of the public education system and really highlighted for me how unequal education is in America.

The 3rd and 4th years were far more challenging, and included the higher level general education classes as well as the lower level classes that counted towards my majors (English and education). I actually really enjoyed those years because the work was challenging and interesting. It finally felt like I was really "attending university".

The last year-and-a-half of my program were extraordinarily difficult. It's not that the work was any more challenging or difficult than the 3rd and 4th years even though it was the higher-level classes for my majors, it's that the work-load was to the point of barely being bearable - I was a stay-at-home mom the entire time, with my boys in school all day, and even though I read fast, there were times I simply couldn't keep up because I'd kill myself to meet one deadline, then immediately had to meet another deadline, with no time to catch up on rest in between. At the time, it really felt like students were set up to fail simply because they wanted to keep the programs to 4 years. Classroom discussions were due on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with responses to peers and papers (usually 20 pages not including references) due on Mondays. The only time off the school provided was two weeks after Christmas. Any other time off had to be approved, and extended your program length (which is why it took me 5 1/2 years). No time off between classes - classes were one at a time and lasted 5 weeks in an asynchronous environment. I spent that last year-and-a-half in a fog because of lack of sleep and actually ended up in the hospital with pneumonia after having a bad cold. I DID finish my program, and I'm glad I did it...but I would NEVER encourage anyone to seek a degree higher than an associates in an online-only environment - the demands on time are just too much and health (mental AND physical) becomes a genuine concern. We received a monthly "health" newsletter that was cute, but given how much time had to be devoted to studies, wasn't realistic at all with it's suggestions.

All that being said, as technology improves and we're able to connect to each other in easier ways, I'm not against a combination of online/in-person schooling - HOWEVER...how such a program is implemented is EXTREMELY important, and I'm not sure we're even close to having a good grasp on that yet in any sort of consistent way.

I would have agreed with you before my daughter began her online studies to be a Veterinary Technician. Very few colleges/universities offer a VT degree (only two in the entire state of GA). She is attending one of the best known online schools for the VT degree. Every animal hospital in the area knows about them and many welcome the students as employees and for the two semesters of externship. Webinars are used for much of the learning, and when hands on work is needed the students video record the work using phones and send that to the instructors.

And, to keep this somewhat on topic, Disney also recognizes the online VT programs. We took our daughter on the behind the scenes tour at AK (back when it was offered) and had an opportunity to discuss her education and work opportunities with the Techs and Vets at AK. It was an amazing experience! And, several CMs had also received their VT training through the same online school.

BTW, the rest of your argument about social interactions I have heard before in the arguments against formal homeschooling programs. I do not agree with that assessment, but that is outside of the discussion that applies here.

But, I do know many teachers and I agree that they are anxious to return to the traditional classroom.
That school sounds AMAZING! I would love to see colleges/universities get together and share implementation plans - as you can see above, my university studies were trying to say the least. (I graduated 2 years ago)

easyrowrdw

This is a lovely theory. However, not all stores can hire bouncers. I saw two very intimidating folks in front of me in line trying to get into our local mom and pop grocery store despite the fact they weren't wearing masks. One of them threatened the employee at the door. So, let's just assume everyone plays along in this fantasyland you've devised.

So despite the current requirements some people aren't doing their part. Does that mean the rules aren't working overall? Does that make the idea of having those rules fantasyland? Of course not. It's not question of all or nothing, but what is the right balance.

As others have pointed out, people have done a better job distancing than even the experts expected. Polling shows support for distancing overall. If things started opening I'm sure we wouldn't have perfect compliance and everyone being totally considerate of others. But I have no reason to believe there'd be a free-for-all either. I think we need to figure out how to function in the absence of a vaccine.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Unless they are handing clean masks out at the door to the bus to those who need one-how would they enforce it? We are comfortable but many cannot afford nor have the means to make one of their own.

Which is why I ask how are smaller private companies supposed to afford buying all of these masks for their customers or hiring enforcement? I don't think either side is right, frankly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What if the driver hands them a mask and they refuse to take it? Same goes for WDW if the government actually mandated masks. Do you physically restrain someone and refuse entry if they won’t wear the mask or what if they just take it off as soon as they clear security? It’s nearly impossible to enforce.

Lilofan

I think Splittsville would be a fairly easy open. Using every other lane would keep you 6 feet apart easily. You’d be with your group. They’d need hand sanitizers at each lane after you use the bowling ball. Better yet bring your own if you have one. Their dining tables could be placed farther apart.
Splitsville got ahead of the game and laid off , not furloughed the entire staff. They will have to rehire everyone from scratch again from the thousands of Central Florida residents that are unemployed that will be looking for a job. And would guests who spend thousands of dollars to fly and vacation at WDW go bowling?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
So despite the current requirements some people aren't doing their part. Does that mean the rules aren't working overall? Does that make the idea of having those rules fantasyland? Of course not. It's not question of all or nothing, but what is the right balance.

As others have pointed out, people have done a better job distancing than even the experts expected. Polling shows support for distancing overall. If things started opening I'm sure we wouldn't have perfect compliance and everyone being totally considerate of others. But I have no reason to believe there'd be a free-for-all either. I think we need to figure out how to function in the absence of a vaccine.

I'm not going by the media. I'm going on what I'm seeing in my own neighborhood. For me, it is all or nothing. What other counties, cities, towns, and countries are doing isn't my call. Screw the experts, I'm talking about what I am seeing with my own eyes.

davis_unoxx

1C1E5747-2BE3-4DB7-9219-55A21BFC08D6.jpeg

Polynesia

Splitsville got ahead of the game and laid off , not furloughed the entire staff. They will have to rehire everyone from scratch again from the thousands of Central Florida residents that are unemployed that will be looking for a job.
You’re right. I remember they were one of the first. I’m sure many of those people would be available to come back and they’re already trained. 😊

flynnibus

Premium Member

Keith makes some good arguments for why WDW could make sense as a place for the NBA to continue it's season. Especially when you consider sports have, somehow, been deemed essential in Florida (as long as they are closed to the public). Not that I think this is going to happen though.

And he skips all the hard points that experts have brought up about these 'play in isolation' scenarios and why they implode.

What happens when someone ends ups testing positive... you quarantine them. Ok, how about everyone they came in contact with, you quarantine them too? You're already working on a very limited subset of people... so now you take people away... do you bring in new people? Again, risking the bubble.

The whole thing falls like a house of cards as soon as you have any contamination. It is so brittle.

Then look at the network of things you need to have 'inside the bubble' to make this viable. It's not just players, trainers, coaches... It's medical staff, it's team staff, it's EMTs, it's stadium personal, it's food service people (you gonna feed everyone with box lunches for months?), it's reporters, it's production crews, it's tv people, it's refs, it's security, it's bus drivers, etc etc etc. There is a whole eco-system involved in getting those players on the courts... and another operating the venues and TV production. And somehow, you're going to operate all of that in a total bubble... without a real containment plan that doesn't wreck it. This is why it's a hard challenge... not the geography/venue question.

The former CM points out the proximity of the hotels... not close enough to walk w/o weather issues... so you have buses. You ever try to put a 6'7 person in those Disney beds? And tell them to do that for months on end?

LittleBuford

It's the same where I am. Faculty and students are generally dissatisfied with online only classes. They want to be back on campus.

As others have said, the idea was to flatten the infection and death curves to allow hospitals to adjust to the needed demands and develop better treatment options. It's been working. Come September we'd be looking at 5-6 months since distancing began. That seems like more than enough time to have a plan in place.

I'm not the least bit qualified to say when it's appropriate to lift the lockdown. As much as I want to return to campus, I will wait as long as the experts deem necessary.

manmythlegend

Depends on the park.
Also, do you mean just National Parks, or NP, National Historic Sites/Parks/Parkways, National Seashores/Lakeshores/Riverways, National Battlefields, National Military Parks, and National Monuments? All are run by the National Park Service.

Earlier this year, Washington DC had a very hard time keeping people from the cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin NP. When the blossoms are blooming, it is normally VERY crowded!

Have you ever been to DC? Picture the July 4th National Mall. It is run by the NPS, but is kind of mishmash of park, memorial, and monument space. It includes the U.S Capitol grounds, Washington Monument, Smithsonian Sculpture Garden, Lincoln Memorial, and more.

To answer your question further, picture the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Ford's Theater, Cape Cod/Canaveral National Seashores, Gettysburg, Castillo de San Marcos NM (St. Augustine), Fort McHenry NM (where National Anthem was written), and Wolf Trap Park for the Performing Arts (Steely Dan, Little Big Town, Pitbull, etc. Sadly, John Prine was scheduled to perform at Wolf trap in June.) They are all part of the NPS.

I was only referring to national parks, not monuments or anything of that sort.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And he skips all the hard points that experts have brought up about these 'play in isolation' scenarios and why they implode.

What happens when someone ends ups testing positive... you quarantine them. Ok, how about everyone they came in contact with, you quarantine them too? You're already working on a very limited subset of people... so now you take people away... do you bring in new people? Again, risking the bubble.

The whole thing falls like a house of cards as soon as you have any contamination. It is so brittle.

Then look at the network of things you need to have 'inside the bubble' to make this viable. It's not just players, trainers, coaches... It's medical staff, it's team staff, it's EMTs, it's stadium personal, it's food service people (you gonna feed everyone with box lunches for months?), it's reporters, it's production crews, it's tv people, it's refs, it's security, it's bus drivers, etc etc etc. There is a whole eco-system involved in getting those players on the courts... and another operating the venues and TV production. And somehow, you're going to operate all of that in a total bubble... without a real containment plan that doesn't wreck it. This is why it's a hard challenge... not the geography/venue question.

The former CM points out the proximity of the hotels... not close enough to walk w/o weather issues... so you have buses. You ever try to put a 6'7 person in those Disney beds? And tell them to do that for months on end?
Why yes...yes I have 😉

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Holy crap on a stick. Its been years, but I think my jumper is still pretty good. Not as quick as I used to be, BUT....enough players get quarantined (say, 5.6 million by my calculation) and I'm playing in the NBA at Disneyworld. I think I've got my backup post corona career all figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom