Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

Will be worth noting what happens to the other countries that have slowly opened before us. It appears certain states will be opening sooner because they have few cases. This will be another group to watch. I’m hoping at least Disney Springs opens in the first group. Would be very easy to social distance there.

I really don't like the use of the term "opening," which is being flung about.
It is not a binary choice between "open" and "closed." We are not "closed" now -- lots of things are open. And in 2 months, even as lockdown orders are lifted, not everything will be "open."

Different states will take different approaches. While some regional differences make sense, this can create a dangerous situation. Look at South Dakota -- they took the position they didn't need to lock down, because they are a rural state with few cases. But then in 1 pork processing plant, 1/4th of the employees tested positive and the plant had to close.

So any state that just says, "we are now open, back to normal" -- will be in grave danger. Every state *should* keep in place significant precautions. So yes, at different paces, different states will start to "open"--- but "open" doesn't mean return to normal. It means some types of businesses will re-open with certain precautions, some types of gatherings will gradually start to be permitted, etc.

Sure, stores at Disney Springs may "open" fairly early. But with restrictions like: masks required to enter the store, only 3-4 customers allowed in the store at a time. Restaurants primarily carry-out, 75% of tables removed, allowing some limited seating.
So yes, things may "open".. but "open" shouldn't be equated with return to normal.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It was ironic to see a bunch of people wanting to see the country open again gathered in a mass of bodies and less than half had masks on. Not exactly encouraging anyone to feel people are ready to do this. If people could actually follow the rules we would get out of this much faster, but some people just can’t help themselves.

And whether or not people individually think the masks and social distancing make no difference, the result is the loss of more businesses. And this bring this back to WDW, more lost business means less possibility of a reopening. It's a domino effect. Lost business means lost revenue means lost jobs mean less cash to travel once things are up and running. Do I want us to reopen tomorrow? Absolutely. I'd like my partner's income to return. Do I know that isn't possible yet? Absolutely. But I'm going to do my best to help everyone else get up and running as best I can by doing what's right for them.

DisneyCane

So the medical studies being reported that are showing the HIGHEST level of transmission is from the asymptomatic?

But that was the New England journal of medicine - I believe - I didn’t see what infowars thought yet 😉

Link please? The most recent thing I saw from NEJM was a study of pregnant women showing that there were a significant number of asymptomatic carriers. I didn't see anything proclaiming that the highest level of transmission is from asymptomatic carriers. That implies that an asymptomatic carrier is more contagious than a symptomatic patient. I have seen many experts say the opposite.

This is a lovely theory. However, not all stores can hire bouncers. I saw two very intimidating folks in front of me in line trying to get into our local mom and pop grocery store despite the fact they weren't wearing masks. One of them threatened the employee at the door. So, let's just assume everyone plays along in this fantasyland you've devised.

Why can't businesses hire bouncers or off duty cops? In a strip mall several stores can share the expense and have one bouncer monitoring outside.

Don’t really think what happened in Michigan is what you were referring to in past posts. That event was more political then what it’s made out to be. I called a friend that lives close to where it happened last night and he said if you think this is because people are just cooped up in the house I have a bridge to sell you.

I didn't say that the civil unrest would be from people cooped up in the house. It will be from people fed up with the extreme measures and economic shut down. I can tell you for sure that if I lived in Michigan and had a second home in Michigan I would spend the entire day driving back and forth between them hoping to get arrested so I could challenge the order in court. It doesn't matter what motivated the people in Michigan yesterday, it demonstrates that they can be motivated.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry folks, the park is closed.... Moose should have told you out front...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry folks, the park is closed.... Moose should have told you out front...

Yeah...they ran out of cash at 10:15 this morning...

Last edited by a moderator:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Why can't businesses hire bouncers or off duty cops? In a strip mall several stores can share the expense and have one bouncer monitoring outside.

The farmer's market store by me, operated by four people (yes, four), doesn't have the funds for that. There are more in the area like that. Bodegas, independent coffee shops, etc. This isn't a strip mall in the suburbs. It's a city that already has extravagant rents. I read an illuminating comment on a newspaper article the other day that posited "If NY is so expensive, leave." Kind of reminded me of the answer a lot of people get to criticizing rising costs at WDW.

Last edited:

jmp85

I’m sure we will see tons and tons of posts about how Disney will “want” smaller crowds.

Problem is That is incorrect and always will be. They operate on mass crowds to generate the walkaway profits and have for 45 years. That’s how it works. They need bulk...which leads me to believe they will delay the reopening for a long time.

For ten years people claimed “they want smaller crowds”. No they did not...they just wanted larger crowds to be trained to pay more so they tolerated flat and dips in the short term.
Nothing has changed...they’ll want the places packed ASAP.
Don’t worry...a martini with windex swapped for the vermouth will give you the same effect 🍸

I tend to agree with you regarding crowd sizes. There has to be some "base load attendance" that is a minimum requirement for operating WDW. When people say smaller crowds, I have no idea what "smaller" means. 90% capacity? 30%? To your point, I don't think operating with a goal of say, 50% capacity makes sense from a financial perspective. There is a fixed cost component to operating each park when you reopen. When you start talking about watering down the experience and then charging guests more for that experience to create a false sense of security through "social distancing," I think you'll run into demand problems. The idea of social distancing in a theme park makes me chuckle.

easyrowrdw

You can’t replicate a college experience online. There is no substitute for in-class teaching and learning, quite apart from the fact that students are missing out on the social interactions and extracurricular activities that are so key to their formation. Everyone I know in academia is itching to return to campus when it is safe to do so.

It's the same where I am. Faculty and students are generally dissatisfied with online only classes. They want to be back on campus.

As others have said, the idea was to flatten the infection and death curves to allow hospitals to adjust to the needed demands and develop better treatment options. It's been working. Come September we'd be looking at 5-6 months since distancing began. That seems like more than enough time to have a plan in place.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Agree 100%. I was born and raised in Florida and lived there a long time. I lived in the Bay Area of California for many years. I would 100% expect Florida's decision-makers to get it right over California. I believe WDW will open first, but in a measured and planned way. I would imagine re-opening will be limited in certain ways but with the goal to ramp up as soon as possible as the medical community dictates.

Do you think WDW will open before any of the international parks (and Disneyland)?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree 100%. I was born and raised in Florida and lived there a long time. I lived in the Bay Area of California for many years. I would 100% expect Florida's decision-makers to get it right over California. I believe WDW will open first, but in a measured and planned way. I would imagine re-opening will be limited in certain ways but with the goal to ramp up as soon as possible as the medical community dictates.
I think the question is will Disney open WDW as soon as the state allows them? Disney did pull the trigger on closing before the state mandated it so there’s no guarantee that if the governor says it’s ok to open everything May 1 or June 1 or whatever date that Disney will open. I think the execs have to make a call that could have a huge lasting impact on the company. It’s a tough call. I do think that if the state of FL gives the thumbs up but Disney delays opening they will get a lot of political pressure to open.

Jrb1979

UK lockdown extended for at least another 3 weeks and NY to at least May 15
Here in Ontario Canada we are the same. Seeing all these places keeping it in place til mid May is telling. With these restrictions in place this long I can't see how we jump right to opening the parks in a month.

trainplane3

My county has an interesting contingency plan:
Now like it says, it hasn't been needed AND was done earlier this month:
However, before the rink is used, there are a few other options like the morgue at Heritage Valley and a refrigerated truck on-site that can hold 20 bodies.

The local senior complex that was having a outbreak still isn't doing well either.

Edit: Sharing because it's genuinely interesting (to me at least). Not trying to fear monger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom