Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The issue we keep battling and my attorneys keep seeking answers is when we call people back do they have to come back? The answer we have been provided no... so the extra 600 a week the gov is giving on top of the normal unemployment for 12 weeks is causing most hourly workers to make an annualized wage of 50k. No server or cook is coming back to work.
Are these people who are furloughed? Can’t you tell them they are expected to come back and then when they don’t show up fire them for cause? If you are fired for cause then you aren’t eligible for unemployment, at least in PA that’s how it works. If they are already laid off then I would assume they are under no obligation to accept your job offer to come back, but they are required under unemployment to be actively seeking employment so I wonder if you could rat them out to the state if they decline your offer to work. It’s also a little dishonest, but you could just tell them they will lose their unemployment if they don’t come back. How many would get an attorney to find out if that’s true?

gmajew

Premium Member
Are these people who are furloughed? Can’t you tell them they are expected to come back and then when they don’t show up fire them for cause? If you are fired for cause then you aren’t eligible for unemployment, at least in PA that’s how it works. If they are already laid off then I would assume they are under no obligation to accept your job offer to come back, but they are required under unemployment to be actively seeking employment so I wonder if you could rat them out to the state if they decline your offer to work. It’s also a little dishonest, but you could just tell them they will lose their unemployment if they don’t come back. How many would get an attorney to find out if that’s true?

if they already are getting unemployment no way the states check to see if we called them back. We get to at the beginning say yes they were furloughed but will never get a chance to reportwe called them back and they said no.

people have already gotten money for UI payments before we even got paperwork to fill out.

Patcheslee

if they already are getting unemployment no way the states check to see if we called them back. We get to at the beginning say yes they were furloughed but will never get a chance to reportwe called them back and they said no.

people have already gotten money for UI payments before we even got paperwork to fill out.
Holy cow Florida must be different. Indiana has around a 13 day waiting period for employers to claim initial UI claim isn't valid, that's why it's 3 weeks+ to even receive $. Then an employer can report anyone who doesn't return and pay is denied. If the person continues to collect they will have to pay it back.

icc2515

The issue we keep battling and my attorneys keep seeking answers is when we call people back do they have to come back?
Of course they do not have come back. It is still a free country in that way. You need to give them a reason to come back like guaranteed pay or higher wages or something to make them want to come back. Threats and forcefully telling them to come back will not get you anywhere.

gmajew

Premium Member
Of course they do not have come back. It is still a free country in that way. You need to give them a reason to come back like guaranteed pay or higher wages or something to make them want to come back. Threats and forcefully telling them to come back will not get you anywhere.

why would I pay them more then they were making to come back to the job they had to be let go from? Why the PPP program is so flawed for certain industries. People will. It come back to just work their old jobs if they can make more at home. Plus states are not going to follow up on the unemployment claims. They cannot even get people signed up right now.

plus restaurant will not be close to hitting prior revenue so no way we can even think to pay more.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In 4 months when the extra $600 of unemployment is gone and they come crawling back the owner has no obligation to hire them back. It’s also a free country that way. Considering some small businesses will never re-open and it may be years before the economy fully recovers I would hope most employees would see the long play and happily come back considering there’s going to be a lot of competition for fewer overall jobs.

gmajew

Premium Member
In 4 months when the extra $600 of unemployment is gone and they come crawling back the owner has no obligation to hire them back. It’s also a free country that way. Considering some small businesses will never re-open and it may be years before the economy fully recovers I would hope most employees would see the long play and happily come back considering there’s going to be a lot of competition for fewer overall jobs.

you are giving them to much credit most 90 percent won’t come back to work for less money Until they have to

jensenrick

As it applies to WDW, the rapid test takes too long to try and test everybody. It's 13 minutes per person plus the time to get the sample. The machine only does 1 at a time so you'd need at least several hundred at each park entrance.

Then there's the cost. I found an article that said the cost of the rapid flu test is around $45 per test. I assume that takes into account amortizing the cost of the machine. Neither Disney nor the insurance companies are going to eat that cost for everybody to get tested at WDW. Would you be willing to pay $45 a day extra to be allowed to enter? I wouldn't.

As someone who works in Florida hospital lab, I can say that you have all of this pretty much correct-
13 minutes per test, 1 test at a time per instrument, about the correct price per test (does NOT include the instruments, which we also run Flu A&B, RSV, and Strep Rapid on).

But what so many do not recognize is the rapid test is a complicated procedure with 3 minute warming period, a precised mixing time, and a 10 minute incubation, for which you need (in most states, FL being one) Qualified Medical Lab Technologists (someone with a MLT degree, certified and licensed by the state) to be able to administer these tests. These are not waived tests, and the byproducts of these tests can be highly infectious (since the test method amplifies the RNA in the sample) and said byproducts must be sealed and placed in large, leakproof, puncture proof, medical hazardous waste disposal units. All MLTs that are running covid on the analyzer, (and everyone nearby) are doing so while wearing a N95 mask, preferably under the BioHood. Not to mention all the maintenance, QA and QC that is involved in running these instruments. That's just the part I know.

There is also the collection of the swab specimen (an invasive and unpleasant insertion into your nasal cavity that I wouldn't want someone who wasn't a medical professional to do), not to mention the most important part- the ordering of, and resulting to, a qualified Doctor- who instructs you on what to do specifically, regarding your health, when you get your results.

This is just NOT something you can put in off to the side at bag check by the Parks.

I would imagine that when a park employee takes your temperature and the result does not match the criteria Disney sets, you'll be handed a flyer with the information of the 2 or 3 nearest hospitals or clinics nearby, and sent on your way with "have a magical day."

I'm sure the Disney Co has no interest collecting, storing, or having to disseminate any part of every guest's HIPPA protected "medical history" which is what they would be doing if they tested people before they entered.
No way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am going to bump in for a second to ask a legitimate question. Say Disney opens up June 1- How is it possible even on rides to social distance? What about buses? Monorails, the Ferry? Anything? With everything mentioned that may not be available? Would you pay that to go? I love it to a crazy degree but not enough to chance crowds like that or get a light version of a fairytale. Same thing with movies, Not gonna do it for awhile.

I mean, that we have gotten to this point where staying home every blessed day, then we just go mingle with thousands of people? As soon as it opens? How do you sanitize those ride seats, that quick? Let people queue? How many people can ride IaSw or PotC, etc? It makes no sense. I’m sorry, I miss it like crazy. There is no way opening makes sense.

The fever check? Great... not everybody runs one with it apparently??? It isn’t like it all goes away by June 1.
1. It’s not possible...and actually never was
2. They’re not opening

hopemax

I think you’re being way too cynical. Almost insulting to low income service workers.
Yeah. The reasons I can come up with immediately, for why people would return to work over a temporary increase of pay.

1. They are bored at home

2. People actually want to be / feel useful

3. They are uncomfortable using "assistance" programs. One of my Mom's co-workers at WDW was pretty upset on FB, that for the first time in 40+ years she had to file for unemployment.

4. People want to have a job lined up in advance, rather than have to compete with hundreds of applicants, interview and all of that stress when you know there are going to be more applicants than jobs going forward.

I'm sure the employees could give even more reasons.

DVCakaCarlF

Not to freak anyone out, but I happened to be on TripAdvisor and there is a general note above the Disney hotels that says “closed through 7/30/2020.” This was for both Poly and Contemporary.

I’m just trying not to throw up right now.
Here’s a screenshot for AKL:
82CA5471-C896-4498-901A-0FBC26703FC0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom