Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I may get hammered for this... but this is basically another strain of flu. Why we think this is Armageddon i'm not sure but we don't close the parks or self quarantine when it's flu season.

we and the media can say the coronavirus is more deadly all we/they want.. but I don't think we know that is the case for sure. Plenty probably have this virus and don't even know it yet and they'll be fine

Our elected leaders say it’s no big deal. Just listen to them.

Chip Chipperson

Americans not following quarantine recommendations will likely be why this will blow up in the U.S. more so than in other countries. Here, where we're from, a family decided to attend a father-daughter dance even though they were told to stay under self quarantine when an immediate family member in the same household tested positive. That lack of caring is detrimental to controlling any kind of spread.

At a certain point, local governments are going to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt regarding self-quarantines and any potential case will be a mandatory quarantine until they know for sure that the person doesn't have it. Between the case you mentioned and the person in NH who attended an event in VT, this virus is doing a great job of highlighting the extreme selfish and stupid behavior people are capable of. I don't know what the laws are in either place in the event that someone were to die due to contracting the virus from one of those idiots, but they'd certainly be facing a wrongful death lawsuit even if they were able to avoid any sort of criminal charges. In what possible way is the possibility of death and lawsuits better than staying home for 14 days?

ELG13

I think a consideration that needs to be made also is the difference in cultures. In chin it's very much a culture of family. For the most part, everyone does their part over there. Here it's an every man for themselves sort of atmosphere. Having a mass quarantine over there is much different than it would ever be over here.

PeoplemoverTTA

Ok data analysts... Check out this model written by a fellow data analyst and tell me if this is alarming, or why it's not:

In my interpretation it illustrates exactly why China and Italy have both taken the measure they have, and it illustrates that we will eventually be forced to follow with significant travel and gathering restrictions.

This is compelling. And I want to reiterate my comment from earlier regarding what consistutes an "underlying condition." I have only read articles on this from respected sources, and one piece that was written for and by a doctor with data in hand noted that high blood pressure, in particular, is one condition that significantly increases your risk of complications.

Over 100 million Americans of all ages (including myself, for example, and I'm 39 and otherwise a healthy, active adult) have high blood pressure. Many are also otherwise healthy adults who don't realize they have HBP, or don't take it seriously. If a fraction of just those Americans with HBP contract COVID-19 and need hospitalization, it would completely overwhelm our healthcare system. And that doesn't factor in older adults and those with other conditions.

I certainly hope that it's something that turns out to be far less serious that initially expected. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend it doesn't have the capacity to be.

lisa12000

At a certain point, local governments are going to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt regarding self-quarantines and any potential case will be a mandatory quarantine until they know for sure that the person doesn't have it. Between the case you mentioned and the person in NH who attended an event in VT, this virus is doing a great job of highlighting the extreme selfish and stupid behavior people are capable of. I don't know what the laws are in either place in the event that someone were to die due to contracting the virus from one of those idiots, but they'd certainly be facing a wrongful death lawsuit even if they were able to avoid any sort of criminal charges. In what possible way is the possibility of death and lawsuits better than staying home for 14 days?

trouble is how do you do it? over in the uk it’s impossible to stop a few football thugs who have been banned from games getting in to grounds how on earth do you monitor mandatory quarantines for possibly thousands of people - I know that we don’t have the resources(or the will) for that

PeoplemoverTTA

They are going to need to figure out a way to make people stick with their self-quarantines. Social distancing is working in Hong Kong. I worry that Americans won't listen to lessons from other countries and it will be worse here. Our hospital systems are going to have an impossible time keeping up.

I read a story this morning about a family under quarantine, where the mother had COVID-19. The father took his daughter to a father-daughter dance despite being under quarantine.

Examples like this are going to be all-too common, unfortunately.

Chip Chipperson

How are you going to police 350 million people with a mandatory quarantine?

I'm talking about the people who are showing symptoms and have been placed in a 14-day self-quarantine and then go out in public knowing that they (or someone in their household) have symptoms of the virus. At a certain point, local governments will stop trusting people to quarantine themselves when they're sick because these other idiots are ruining it for everyone with their selfish and stupid actions.

ELG13

This is what my husband and I got into a discussion about yesterday. It's disappointing to see such careless regard for those that are vulnerable. We had a case an hour from where we live, a woman was on the Japanese cruise ship that was infected. She tested positive and felt fine, but she still followed the quarantine orders. Plenty of people follow the orders, but the ones that don't, are the ones that will spread it .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do keep up! It was a third shift maintenance worker.

Well does that matter. The terms “infection” and “Disney” would be taken out of context in the ‘Mericas if that were to happen.

Oh...right...you’re from Britain. More sensible to panic.

Yeah...we don’t do that here in los estados unidos...

We panic shop

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well does that matter. The terms “infection” and “Disney” would be taken out of context in the ‘Mericas if that were to happen.

Oh...right...you’re from Britain. More sensible to panic.

Yeah...we don’t do that here in los estados unidos...

We panic shop
We’ve run out of toilet rolls on the shelves over here. Misinformation spreads.

Chip Chipperson

trouble is how do you do it? over in the uk it’s impossible to stop a few football thugs who have been banned from games getting in to grounds how on earth do you monitor mandatory quarantines for possibly thousands of people - I know that we don’t have the resources(or the will) for that
In the US, we're talking about 164 cases across the entire country as of Friday afternoon. There's really no unreasonable burden on a state or local government if they decide to enforce mandatory quarantines on patients while they await their test results (and afterwards if they test positive). In the case of the father and daughter attending a dance, the father's other daughter was the first positive case in that state. Enforcing a quarantine on a single family should be a relatively simple thing to do. Local officials gave the family the benefit of the doubt and that family effectively told them to go to hell. Somehow, even after that, local officials only warned them that if they break the quarantine a second time then they'll enforce a mandatory quarantine. There shouldn't be second chances for someone willing to risk infecting others.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In the US, we're talking about 164 cases across the entire country as of Friday afternoon. There's really no unreasonable burden on a state or local government if they decide to enforce mandatory quarantines on patients while they await their test results (and afterwards if they test positive). In the case of the father and daughter attending a dance, the father's other daughter was the first positive case in that state. Enforcing a quarantine on a single family should be a relatively simple thing to do. Local officials gave the family the benefit of the doubt and that family effectively told them to go to hell. Somehow, even after that, local officials only warned them that if they break the quarantine a second time then they'll enforce a mandatory quarantine. There shouldn't be second chances for someone willing to risk infecting others.
Close to 600 as of now...

A small number to be sure. But again - it’s highlighting how off the message/responses have been that has been pretty panicked

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But the problem is that perception is always reality.

You know as well as anyone around here how perception overrides the truth when dealing with a CERTAIN company alone
If that perception leads to shorter lines then it’s better for those who go :)

Im due to go to DLP soon. I’m due to sail on the Fantasy later this year. I’m due to do my usual tour of the central Florida park too. Will I? If they let me, absolutely. Will I take reasonable precautions whilst there ? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom