Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It would be a nice way to do it if it were possible, but it isn't. Remember the tests aren't 100% accurate. Just imagine the lawsuits if it turns out some guests weren't detected because the test was a false negative and then you get a spike of guests getting sick, even if the mortality rate turns out to be .5% you would most likely get some deaths every year from people that got exposed by a false negative, that would be very expensive to cover. Most likely the lawyers would never allow Disney to do what you are suggesting because of the litigation they would be exposed to since the test would give people an expectation of a virus free park.

Of course the other problem is say you test everyone that goes to the park and they are all 100% negative and the tests are accurate. The problem is Mr. Smith was exposed on the plane down and doesn't show any symptoms until 4 days after he was checked. He was staying for a week so during those last 3 days he was infected and spewing little virus droplets all over the resort and parks. Mr. Smith realizes when he gets home that he was sick (although he might never know if he was the asymptomatic victim) but assume he did find out and his doctor called Disney to let them know that there was an infected guest on their grounds. How is that going to go down when Disney uses the magicbands and contacts the hundred or so people that they know were clearly in close proximity to him. That's not going to be good PR for Disney when you now have 100 people all over the country getting phone calls telling them they were exposed to a deadly virus.

It is a nice idea but doesn't really work given the reality of the virus. If we were talking about the measles it would work but this virus is just too sneaky.

1 - a system doesn’t have to be 100% to be viable. Even under strict hospital rules people still get sick. The point is to find a reasonable method to screen and reduce (not necessarily eliminate) the risk for people to intermix.
2 - to your other scenario about “late bloomers” - if the testing is not good at catching those types of scenarios simply retest on an appropriate interval. This is an area we dont know the strict constraints yet because we are not being specific about the kind of test they would use.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Standards are one thing but I don’t know if they have the legal authority to limit capacity or dictate table configuration.

They are tenants - they enter a contract with the landlord. Almost unlimited possibilities of the kind of oversight they could lock tenants into

zengoth

As someone that's had the nasty nose swab, I can attest that they hurt like h**l. It brought a tear to my eye and I can only imagine that every kid under 10 would be crying like they had just been given a shot at a doctor's office.... Not a great way to start a magical vacation.
Not if Elsa's the one who administers it... Meet n' Greet meets Nose Swab.

TrainsOfDisney

They are tenants - they enter a contract with the landlord. Almost unlimited possibilities of the kind of oversight they could lock tenants into

It’s a silly argument... Disney isn’t likely to make the rules and neither is Reedy Creek. They will follow the guidelines recommended to them by their risk management team and the restaurants will do the same. A big corporation like Landry’s is going to take the same precautions as Disney.

monykalyn

And as far as the masks- what about the hearing impaired? Many rely on combo of lip reading and hearing aides. If they can’t see your face and lips and hear clearly (like they could without a mask) isn’t that discrimination?
If Disney is the only one really forcing limited tables/patrons then I’d think the third party restaurants would simply close up shop and go elsewhere. If you enforce Disney resorts guests only you don’t think there’d be a huge pushback from the surrounding area? What about Disney Springs hotels? There IS a patient privacy issue here and you’d better believe it’d be challenged.
we aren’t going to get to zero daily deaths from CV19, just like we won’t from flu, heart disease, car accidents etc. Serology/antibody testing hopefully makes most of this a mute point anyway. We’ve got brilliant scientists around the world working on this disease right now. I prefer to be more optimistic things will be much better with treatment options until vaccine widespread.

DVCakaCarlF

I noticed that the Four Seasons at WDW stated they hope to start taking guests starting May 1st...is that any kind of preliminary indication that the WDW will have some sort of soft opening? Unannounced?

Thelazer

They are not going to swab.
Temperature checks, combined with perhaps a mask requirement. Hand sanitizer stations and virtual que's along with changes in how meet and greets are being done. Then it's a matter of how much staff is REALLY needed the first few months as not much travel is going on. 2 out of 4 parks open, no water parks and one fireworks show per week.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Instead of returning money, Geico Insurance will be giving 15% credit on future renewals and new policies.

"GEICO is providing a 15 percent credit to its auto and motorcycle customers as their policy comes up for renewal between April 8 and Oct 7. The credit will also apply to any new policies purchased during this period. The credit is part of GEICO’s ongoing efforts to assist customers during this unprecedented time.

The average auto policy has a semi-annual premium of about $1,000 and generally covers more than one vehicle. This means GEICO expects credits to average about $150 per auto policy and $30 per motorcycle policy. The company estimates the benefit to its 18 million auto and one million motorcycle customers will be approximately $2.5 billion."

TrojanUSC

I noticed that the Four Seasons at WDW stated they hope to start taking guests starting May 1st...is that any kind of preliminary indication that the WDW will have some sort of soft opening? Unannounced?

The date on their website/social media has been a moving target for weeks. Originally it said early April, then the 19th, etc.

ImperfectPixie

Instead of returning money back, Geico Insurance will be giving 15% credit on future renewals and new policies.

"GEICO is providing a 15 percent credit to its auto and motorcycle customers as their policy comes up for renewal between April 8 and Oct 7. The credit will also apply to any new policies purchased during this period. The credit is part of GEICO’s ongoing efforts to assist customers during this unprecedented time.

The average auto policy has a semi-annual premium of about $1,000 and generally covers more than one vehicle. This means GEICO expects credits to average about $150 per auto policy and $30 per motorcycle policy. The company estimates the benefit to its 18 million auto and one million motorcycle customers will be approximately $2.5 billion."

I tried Geico. Never again. Same with Progressive. Allstate has been fabulous.

Calmdownnow

Disney is losing between 20-30 million daily add that up anything longer than 60 days and the Mouse House is in trouble a loss of 1.2 BILLION dollars of Zero income (if they are losing 20 million a day). Imagine 120 days 4-5 Billion is losses not to mention the Hugh economic disaster this could be for Everyone.

Do not be surprised as long as the trend in Florida is heading down that Disney opens for Business June 1st. Once you see cast members recalled to work you know it’s coming.

The world has gone to hell in 2 weeks we still have close to 8 weeks to turn things around.

My bet is 6/1 for re-opening of resorts and limited Park access for the 1st 30 days for resort guests.

My bet is that you are wrong about re-opening. I suspect that you are also wrong about the Florida trend heading down. It pains me to say this, but the evidence from around the world is that 3-5 months is the time-period most communities will have to slog through in order to master the social and economic conditions this virus has imposed. Unfortunately Disney World, and even later Florida as a whole, has been well behind the curve of mastering the problem. We are less than four weeks away from tens of thousands of people arriving on Main Street to view fireworks - yes bits of explosive stardust in the sky -- and who knows how many infections were seeded at that time.

Kevin_W

Instead of returning money, Geico Insurance will be giving 15% credit on future renewals and new policies.

My renewal if outside that time period. Perhaps time to cancel and apply for a new policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom