Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter11435

Again, pure theater. Most people are spreading this asymptomatically. So great, ruin someone's vacation because they have a cold but Asymptomatic Adam over there goes undetected.
How is someone’s vacation ruined because they wait an extra 15 minutes to enter the Magic Kingdom?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's no way for Disney to practically do what people are suggesting on here. It's laughable. There are so many points of entry when you consider all of the on-site transportation, resorts, parks, Disney Springs. It's not worth even debating.
Doesn’t stop them from having metal detectors.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Liberty Mutual joins Allstate and American Family Insurance in returning some policy premiums.

"As part of its response to the unprecedented coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Liberty Mutual Insurance today announced its Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund, which gives personal auto insurance customers a 15% refund on two months of their annual premium. This returns approximately $250 million to Liberty Mutual and Safeco personal auto insurance customers and builds on other customer support, including flexible payment options and delivery coverage expansion for auto policies."

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Nope. It's fighting time.

WDW Magic... FIGHT CLUB!

1586294946295.png

UNCgolf

HIV is considered a disability. There are many medical conditions that can qualify. But, like I said, I know that's from the employment standpoint. I was trying to think how it would apply to customers. Disney has to provide a reasonable accommodation to guests with disabilities; that's what the DAS is all about. This seems like something in between.

The temporary nature of the condition might keep it from being a disability for an employee. But again, I don't know how that applies to accommodating customers.

HIV is a bit of a special case because it's not something that can be transmitted via casual contact. Generally speaking, people with potentially dangerous communicable diseases are likely not covered under the ADA because of safety concerns -- while they can still be considered to have a disability because of the disease, the ADA does not require public accommodations to give them access when they could pose a threat to other customers. It's incredibly unlikely someone could win a case against Disney for violating the ADA when they were attempting to prevent the further spread of a pandemic disease.

In general, though, Disney has the right to refuse entry to anyone they want as long as it's not specifically discriminatory under the Civil Rights Act or the ADA.

TrojanUSC

How is someone’s vacation ruined because they wait an extra 15 minutes to enter the Magic Kingdom?

Again, someone being denied entry because a semi-accurate machine says they have a fever is enough to ruin someone's day. I continue to believe there is no circumstance when Disney will be sticking a swab 5" up someone's nose. It's not magical, it's not practical and doesn't take into account that the biggest spreaders are asymptomatic.

TrojanUSC

Doesn’t stop them from having metal detectors.

That take 10 seconds and filter out, with reasonable certainty, a guest bringing in a gun. These kinds of thermometers are ripe with accuracy issues in addition to the fact it doesn't deal with the fat that most spreaders are symptomatic.

rowrbazzle

HIV is a bit of a special case because it's not something that can be transmitted via casual contact. Generally speaking, people with potentially dangerous communicable diseases are likely not covered under the ADA because of safety concerns -- while they can still be considered to have a disability because of the disease, the ADA does not require public accommodations to give them access when they could pose a threat to other customers. It's incredibly unlikely someone could win a case against Disney for violating the ADA when they were attempting to prevent the further spread of a pandemic disease.

In general, though, Disney has the right to refuse entry to anyone they want as long as it's not specifically discriminatory under the Civil Rights Act or the ADA.

Thanks for the reply. As you describe the danger element, the undue hardship idea comes to mind.

It still seems kind of crazy to me that Disney could require any kind of medical screening as part of the admission process. But it sounds like it's not without precedent and there isn't a particular law that would prevent it. Interesting stuff.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Again, someone being denied entry because a semi-accurate machine says they have a fever is enough to ruin someone's day. I continue to believe there is no circumstance when Disney will be sticking a swab 5" up someone's nose. It's not magical, it's not practical and doesn't take into account that the biggest spreaders are asymptomatic.

Have you not seen what unmagical things people endure for the magical vacation? The crowds? The wait? The heat? The storms? The cranky kids?

If someone have a fever and the only way they can get into a park is with a swab and a 15 wait for results, they'd let you put that swab.... anywhere.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes that place, the #1 favorite destination of my family , friends and I'm sure many others. No one is forcing you to go.
Seriously? You pulled out THAT ancient trope?
Just, ewww.

WDW has a number of things going for it, but the problems I listed are well known and long standing.

When was the last time you saw a CM get in someone's face for dropping litter or even blatant line cutting?

CM's just don't do that. Like ever. On any of my many visits to WDW.

Well, okay...the First Order CM's, Cindy's step mom, the Stepsisters and the 50's PT staff, are allowed to get in people's faces a little bit -in character.

Maybe when WDW reopens they will have a new property-wide Celebration!

The First Order has taken over ALL of WDW! (That'd be a good way to explain the new clear plastic face masks!)

Otherwise, well, just try to imagine CM's trying to get WDW's customers to maintain social distancing ALL DAY LONG.

WDW's customers.

The people who regularly ask, "What time is the 3 o'clock parade?"

thomas998

If that is the case you can kiss WDW, Sea World, Bush Gardens, Universal good by forever. No company can weather being closed for 12 months with zero income. As stated Disney is losing between 10-20 million per day a 60 day closure has losses into the billions, a 12+ month closure will not only cripple disney but the world economy as a whole.

Disney is gonna get hit not only from all sides resorts, parks, merchandise, sports, and movies.

Social distancing can be done in a theme park and it will be done. We are doing it in stores now, airplanes it will be the way of life going forward until a vaccine is available. We will had to adapt no other way around it.
Social distancing will not work at Disney. Just look at the logistics of how much space is required to follow even the basic 6 foot distance which is also being questioned as not being far enough. Your ferries will no longer shuttle 600 people a trip it will be cut down to about 30 people. Now realize lots of attractions simply cannot be run if you want to maintain guest safety, Tiki Room would be able to have may a dozen guests per show. Pirate of the Caribbean would have maybe enough room for 2 guests one in the front and one in the back... Haunted mansion is 1 guest per car and then of course how do you clean each car after the previous riders get out? And how pray tell would you do any meet and greet, you want a worker to allow some potential infected guest to go hugging on him?

Why not explain how social distancing can work in the park, because I see no way that it really can be implemented in a park unless you only let maybe a 1000 guests in per day and you can't jsutify the cost of operating the park for such a small number.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That take 10 seconds and filter out, with reasonable certainty, a guest bringing in a gun. These kinds of thermometers are ripe with accuracy issues in addition to the fact it doesn't deal with the fat that most spreaders are symptomatic.
My comment was in reference to the number of entry points. The other poster said they wouldn’t have virus checks entering the parks because there are many other entry points (resorts, Disney Springs, etc).

Lilofan

Also those K-9 dogs by the entrance are not for show. They are amazing animals doing their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom