Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then this is a matter for the Federal government. Treat it as citizens abroad stuck in a country that's unsafe and need to get home. There's got to be a Naval port they can dock in. If I was on that liner, I'd be contacting every Federal representative and bureaucrat I could, especially the State Department's embassy services.
For real, let these humans off that ship! My god. People are sick, there are dead bodies on board.
The one in CA eventually docked and they took the people to military bases to serve their quarantine. I don't know what the delay is this time. If they go somewhere else the military will end up air lifting the Americans home anyway so why go to all the trouble.

21stamps

The one in CA eventually docked and they took the people to military bases to serve their quarantine. I don't know what the delay is this time. If they go somewhere else the military will end up air lifting the Americans home anyway so why go to all the trouble.

The delay is that SoFla has a large amount of positive cases, the most concentrated area in Florida.. the governor does not want to use beds for the cruise folks when he needs them for his own residents.
It’s very sad, but it’s a tough situation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The delay is that SoFla has a large amount of positive cases, the most concentrated area in Florida.. the governor does not want to use beds for the cruise folks when he needs them for his own residents.

Well, he's doing his best to get the Federal government involved so that foreigners aren't dumped in FL.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It's time to let this darn ship dock! There are Americans and Canadians on board, for god sake.

What I don't get is that this was a sailing that departed on March 7th. HAL announced a suspension of services on March 13. On March 13, the ship was near Montevideo. It could have easily made way to Buenos Aires where passengers could be debarked (quarantined as necessary - with the remainder flown back to FLL).

I'm not going to pretend to understand what went on behind the scenes about letting the ship continue to sail until March 21st (A full week after HAL suspended operations). But I'd think any vessel on open water should have been directed to the first port of call and rendered assistance. I can't imagine what those people are going through.

Disney Analyst

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if there are Florida residents on board, I hope they see how their governor is acting.
From the other article

Laura Gabaroni and her husband Juan Huergo, of Orlando, had wanted to explore the southernmost tip of South America for years — to see the penguins on the Falkland Islands and the glacial landscapes of the Strait of Magellan. But their vacation turned harrowing as countries shunned them and people fell ill.

Disney Analyst

From the other article

Laura Gabaroni and her husband Juan Huergo, of Orlando, had wanted to explore the southernmost tip of South America for years — to see the penguins on the Falkland Islands and the glacial landscapes of the Strait of Magellan. But their vacation turned harrowing as countries shunned them and people fell ill.

Yeah I saw that on an article now also.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What I don't get is that this was a sailing that departed on March 7th. HAL announced a suspension of services on March 13. On March 13, the ship was near Montevideo. It could have easily made way to Buenos Aires where passengers could be debarked (quarantined as necessary - with the remainder flown back to FLL).

I'm not going to pretend to understand what went on behind the scenes about letting the ship continue to sail until March 21st (A full week after HAL suspended operations). But I'd think any vessel on open water should have been directed to the first port of call and rendered assistance. I can't imagine what those people are going through.
Looks like they left the day before the US warned of cruising and were scheduled to arrive in Chile but were denied access to ports there.

The Zaandam originally departed from Buenos Aires on March 7 — a day before the U.S. State Department issued an advisory to avoid cruise travel and before any substantial restrictions were in place in Florida. DeSantis declared a state of emergency in the state two days later.

The ship originally was scheduled to travel to San Antonio, Chile, and then depart on March 21 for a 20-day cruise to arrive in Fort Lauderdale in early April. But beginning March 15, the Zaandam was denied entry by South American ports, even before passengers reported their first flu-like symptoms on March 22.

21stamps

Well, he's doing his best to get the Federal government involved so that foreigners aren't dumped in FL.

I can’t pull it up right now, but again, the bulk of Florida’s positive cases, and hospitalizations, are in SoFla, where the ship wants permission to dock.

I’m conflicted over this, would definitely not want to be the person who makes that decision. DeSantis has an impossible choice here.

TeriofTerror

Polynesia

I've been a pretty consistent lurker here for the past 14 years of my life. I enjoy reading and tend to stay away from the discussions due to the volatility of a lot of topics. I have been reading this thread with bated breathe ever since its inception but felt today was a pretty solid time to chime in. Also it seems this thread has turned into a general discussion. Which is great but I thought we already had one of those? To keep things on a Walt Disney World centric topic, Out of curiosity how many of you actually think a place like Walt Disney World survives this. They've stretched themselves thin with offerings that their m.o. is we have everything and anything. But when that ultimately is shattered due to an event as were dealing with now how much longer can they survive? For the past ten years they've ultimately passed by on minimal upgrades, visitors were coming in through the gates just based on name and recognition alone. Once this is over...if it ever is, how do you bring the masses in? Newcomers? Regardless of if you think that people will come back , and how soon, some will get sick. There's no getting around that. Does Disney hold that burden if someone gets sick in their parks? Is it worth going through that trouble or remaining closed. Life's going to change post Corona, you're a fool if you think otherwise. Is it time to start looking at places like Walt Disney World as a relic of the past?

This is for discussion purposes. I'm not attempting to attack or seem condescending.
Not only will Disney survive this but they will thrive. It will take a few years but it will once again be THE vacation destination. Simply put, nobody does it better than Disney. A vaccine will come out in a year or so. They’re already testing it. So many companies have stepped up to help with donating drugs and medical supplies. This virus will be beat. We will turn the corner and things will start to open up again. Some may be fearful of going back to a theme park. Look at the crowds on their last day before closing. Guests knew why it was shutting down and the parks were very crowded. And they’ll be crowded again. Graphs show no deaths by July. This will be a game changer in people’s minds. President Trump has mentioned the possibility of people having to wear masks in the short term. Dare I say this would be a money maker for Disney? Imagine going to their park and purchasing a Mickey mask or a frozen mask. Maybe I’m way off base. But I believe in my heart there are many Disney lovers who will perhaps cautiously be back enjoying the magic only Disney knows how to make.

Lilofan

Not only will Disney survive this but they will thrive. It will take a few years but it will once again be THE vacation destination. Simply put, nobody does it better than Disney. A vaccine will come out in a year or so. They’re already testing it. So many companies have stepped up to help with donating drugs and medical supplies. This virus will be beat. We will turn the corner and things will start to open up again. Some may be fearful of going back to a theme park. Look at the crowds on their last day before closing. Guests knew why it was shutting down and the parks were very crowded. And they’ll be crowded again. Graphs show no deaths by July. This will be a game changer in people’s minds. President Trump has mentioned the possibility of people having to wear masks in the short term. Dare I say this would be a money maker for Disney? Imagine going to their park and purchasing a Mickey mask or a frozen mask. Maybe I’m way off base. But I believe in my heart there are many Disney lovers who will perhaps cautiously be back enjoying the magic only Disney knows how to make.
I hope and pray 🙏 this is the case but what we are all aware of as a nation that the next 2 weeks will be very very painful experience for our country.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are 300 Americans including some from Florida on the ship. They won’t be released into the public if the ship docks. The Americans will need to go to a military base for quarantine and the foreign passengers will have to be returned home. That’s how they did it for the CA ship earlier in March.

John park hopper

I read this earlier today. Cause we all need a little hope. I pray he's right.

I hope this pans out this could be the magic bullet to stop this pandemic in it's tracks. Having been involved in environmental research I know there are labs/people working round the clock. My hat goes off to our medical people and my hat goes off to all the researchers all over the country working on this day and night. They are the unrecognized

The Mom

Premium Member
It's time to let this darn ship dock! There are Americans and Canadians on board, for god sake.

This is a problem caused by the increase in bigger and bigger cruise ships. There are not that many ports that can accommodate them. Perhaps they will be allowed dock at further up the coast - if they can find a port that will allow them.

As mentioned, South FL is dealing with its own epicenter right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom