Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Very optimistic. But, I'm hesitant to assume that those non-Disney lovers who attend the parks 1-2x in their lifetime will continue to visit such a densely populated destination. At they very least they will give it more thought.

So your belief is that this event will change people to a point they won’t or will limit their ventures to densely populated destinations for the rest of their lives? I don’t have an opinion one way or another. Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Polynesia

Very optimistic. But, I'm hesitant to assume that those non-Disney lovers who attend the parks 1-2x in their lifetime will continue to visit such a densely populated destination. At they very least they will give it more thought.
That’s a good point. Disneyland however seems to be made up of more locals. When I lived in California the parks were jammed with them. It’s a totally different vibe in the California parks. I do try to stay optimistic. With so much negativity in the works, especially lately, it helps to stay positive. Things will be different. But the love of Disney will stay with many.

Nemo14

Chemotherapy nurses are God's Angels, and I say that as someone who is agnostic at best.

I hope your chemo goes well. Please, stay hydrated even if you don't feel like drinking anything. I'm sure your nurses will tell you that a million times, but I'll add it one or two times more. :)
This is my 4th infusion (2 more to go) so I pretty much know the drill, but thanks, My cancer markers have gone from 4000+ in November to 20 now, so it has all been worth it.

KineticMosaic

So your belief is that this event will change people to a point they won’t or will limit their ventures to densely populated destinations for the rest of their lives? I don’t have an opinion one way or another. Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

I believe people will change the way they vacation, and carry themselves during said vacation. Those that were once deemed germaphobic or even a hypocondriac may seem normal. Their tendencies the norm or best practice. I ultimately don't believe it will change people to not go out in large gatherings but it will and should change the way in which they carry themselves, like said above. I hope I no longer see individuals just leave a restroom without washing their hands. It's not that I think that's best practice but is a very telling side to the hygiene of an individual who after being in a very public place won't take the opportunity to clean their most prominent extremity.

I am and have been a season ticket holder for my local soccer team. I love going to matches and enjoy the comradary but this has taught me that I've been taking social distancing for granted. Will I never spend time in a supporters section again. No. But I will think about my choices and actions within it. I hope the same is true with individuals heading to a vacation either at Walt Disney World or anywhere in general.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For a year or so that may be true. I don’t see this virus as a permanent change to people’s mentality on travel or large gatherings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We tend to let bad memories fade...sometimes faster than we should.
After 9/11 people were afraid to fly and wanted to avoid crowded, high profile spots. Measures have been taken to make us feel safer from terrorism. The same can be done for viruses. Not metal detectors or added security this time, but heightened processes and procedures to appear cleaner.

In addition I also think governments around the world are going to be investing billions into research and medical treatments to be better prepared for something like this. Research into SARS largely stalled when the virus stopped becoming a major threat. If we followed through on research it’s possible this whole thing could have been either avoided or dramatically shortened. It’s much easier to adapt an existing drug for a similar illness to fight a virus than to invent a new one from scratch.

MissingDisney

This is my 4th infusion (2 more to go) so I pretty much know the drill, but thanks, My cancer markers have gone from 4000+ in November to 20 now, so it has all been worth it.
Congrats on those numbers! That is fabulous! All the best to you! I still remember the nurses and volunteers when my mom was receiving chemo 10+ years ago. They were amazing. They made such an impact on her, once cleared, she became a volunteer at the hospital infusion center to help others.

DVCakaCarlF

People will want to go to the beach, Disney, cruises, etc...the kicker will be the economy. Who is going to come out July 1st and blow 5-10,000 on a vacation? Not likely.

Lilofan

After 9/11 people were afraid to fly and wanted to avoid crowded, high profile spots. Measures have been taken to make us feel safer from terrorism. The same can be done for viruses. Not metal detectors or added security this time, but heightened processes and procedures to appear cleaner.

In addition I also think governments around the world are going to be investing billions into research and medical treatments to be better prepared for something like this. Research into SARS largely stalled when the virus stopped becoming a major threat. If we followed through on research it’s possible this whole thing could have been either avoided or dramatically shortened. It’s much easier to adapt an existing drug for a similar illness to fight a virus than to invent a new one from scratch.
3K people just going about their everyday lives just gone that terrible 9/11 morning. In the next 2 weeks 100K-240K Americans will lose their lives to this terrible coronavirus. Our way of life will forever change even with a vaccine.

MissingDisney

3K people just going about their everyday lives just gone that terrible 9/11 morning. In the next 2 weeks 100K-240K Americans will lose their lives to this terrible coronavirus. Our way of life will forever change even with a vaccine.
So true. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one on here that had been affected so far. Since Sunday, we have already lost a coworker, a coworker’s husband, a parent of a good friend, and a neighbor‘s grandchild. Three different counties represented.
Life is never going to be “normal“ again for millions of people.

Polynesia

People will want to go to the beach, Disney, cruises, etc...the kicker will be the economy. Who is going to come out July 1st and blow 5-10,000 on a vacation? Not likely.
There are people who will. While so many are being devastated financially by this crisis there are many who still have their jobs. Anyone in the medical field or other services which are deemed necessary. Then there’s the retirees who love their cruises. Can’t guarantee July 1 but soon after people will come out. Disney is about escaping reality. And those that can afford it, and some that probably can’t, will come back to the parks.

ImperfectPixie

I would believe this if America was staying isolated by their own choice today - the vast majority are doing it because the government is forcing them to do it. If Disneyland were open today and locals were allowed to go there, I believe it would be overwhelmed from people trying to get out of their home prisons. Even in the height of the anxiety.
I tend to agree with you on this. You can hear the frustration in both Dr. Fauci's and Dr. Birx's voices, as well as the Governor of MA...they're getting fed up with people not doing what they're supposed to.

Rimmit

Yes, in the same way our life changed after 9/11 so will our way of life change after this.

In the same way the price of freedom is eternal vigilance, the price of our health is also eternal vigilance.

It will take time, but eventually life will get back to a new “normal”. Many forget the days when we didn’t have the bag and security checks at Disney. There was also a time when there was barely any security to get on a plane. Now it’s the norm and many people don’t know any different.

Over the next several years we will likely adapt to the new normal of hand sanitizers everywhere in Disney, likely perfectly themed to the location. We will adapt to new standards in hygiene and an increase in mask usage. There will come a time when this is as common place as the bag checks.

Tourism will recover, as will Disney. It won’t be immediate but it will happen, just as the world adapted from 9/11, we will adapt to this. And given enough time Disney and the travel industry will be back and stronger than ever until the next major threat comes along, and history repeats itself.

Rimmit

I would believe this if America was staying isolated by their own choice today - the vast majority are doing it because the government is forcing them to do it.

Do you have a poll for that? I doubt the “vast majority” are doing this because they are forced. Everyone still has a right to do what they want and no one is “forced” into quarantine unless they have tested positive for Covid as at that point they are a true danger to others.

Many churches are are still holding services despite the governments pleas to stop. Just look what’s happening with the church services in Louisiana. We are not in Marshall law and all these directives are at best strong suggestions. But given the local parking lots and roads, I’d say people are isolating and social distancing for two reasons.

1.) Fear

And likely a distant second

2.) For the good of society

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I said something similar many pages back. I think for people who didn’t have summer plans already it’s likely they will do something more local and low key this summer. Many people already have plans though. I have a WDW trip planned for August that’s already paid for (except for food) so if it’s safe to go I’ll be there. If I cancel it won‘t be for financial reasons, it will be for safety. In my case I’m still working and getting paid so I’m sure many others who lost wages will consider canceling for financial reasons. I don’t expect a full return of crowds for over a year.

As far as cruises, I’ll likely never go on one. Not a fan anyway and this whole thing has soured me likely forever. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to book a cruise for at least a year or longer, but I am biased in the negative direction so I’m sure some big cruise fans will be eager to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom