Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

In Bergen County it took a week of relatively small numbers of Covid cases to deplete our hospitals down to nothing. It’s an outright disgrace. Both my sons were born at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood. Total cost: $120,000. It took them a week before they need donations of masks, gloves, gowns, food....

edit to add....

Normal births. Complication free. No surgery.
$120K ? With medical insurance?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

The coronavirus test that wasn’t: How federal health officials misled state scientists and derailed the best chance at containment

I posted earlier in the thread that this is the greatest failure of our federal government in my lifetime and the post got deleted. Not sure why, it’s a simple statement of fact.

seascape

Great moments are born from great opportunity. This is one of those opportunities. For the first time in a
generation we the chance as a society to overcome something that is larger than each and everyone of us. We just have to go out there and grab It.

500 years from now how do you want our generation to be remembered? As the ones who stopped a worldwide pandemic, or the ones that were to selfish to save themselves.

“You only fail when you stop trying.”
We are going to be remember as the generation that saved ourselves from a pandemic by selfishly stealing from future generations. Not only did we leave future generations worse off by our normal selfish spending and borrowing we top it off borrowing 25%:eek:f our GDP in a matter of weeks. How dumb can any generation be.

zengoth

What Disney is known for is safety, cleanliness, friendliness , and to maximize efficiency to increase profitability. Efficiency is going to take a back seat to ensure our health and safety.
I laud Disney's attempt at cleanliness - but the ratio of guests to staff is wildly out of synch. I am not appalled when I show up at Epcot in the middle of the day and walk past overflowing trashcans in the parking lot - I understand they can only do what they can do. But I believe there's going to be so much more scrunity going forward there will either need to be more staff or less guests at any given time.

durangojim

And this is in the 21st century. How the human race has failed itself.
Yes and no. Very much like 9/11 there has been a failure of imagination on how something like this could affect the world. I would argue though that the vast majority of people right now are doing what they should, certain industries are making more ventilators, and that those people, companies, and medical professionals are showing how humanity can cope and deal to the best of their ability with world wide tragedies like this.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
News: as of this morning all WDW hotel inventory has been removed from third party sites (eg Expedia) for the entire month of April.
See also
D4F7C674-C9BD-4D3C-A2D0-AE22C925AC4B.png

mousedroid

Yes and no. Very much like 9/11 there has been a failure of imagination on how something like this could affect the world. I would argue though that the vast majority of people right now are doing what they should, certain industries are making more ventilators, and that those people, companies, and medical professionals are showing how humanity can cope and deal to the best of their ability with world wide tragedies like this.

Maybe a failure of imagination on the part of our governments, but not the medical community. There were a series of very good (and frankly scary) articles in the November 2017 issue of Smithsonian Magazine on the next pandemic...

This one includes a video, and one of the speakers is Dr. Fauci:

So no, we've known this was coming, and unlike a terrorist attack, we have 100+ years of experience knowing how viruses strike and spread. This should NOT have caught us off guard and shame on us all if we don't, in the future shift resources from things like building another aircraft carrier when we already have 20, to manufacturing and stockpiling medical supplies for the next INEVITABLE pandemic.

Disstevefan1

Good thread to read through on recent modeling.

Do we know the reality on the ground? Firstly, we can’t trust the data from the CCP, second, we have no idea how many millions had the virus, had mild symptoms, and recovered.

Having said that, I agree modeling can be subjective, the data can be tweaked to show a desired result, much like the global warming models.

VaderTron

It isn't ONE hypothetical grandma or granddad. I used that example to illustrate the quality days being taken from EVERYBODY'S life every day that this extreme, police state, nonsense goes on around the world.

I take the disease seriously but things can be done to slow it down and reduce the deaths from it that don't involve shutting the world down and preventing the 99% of the population that won't die from it from enjoying their life. I can't even go to the darn beach where being outdoors and hot is not likely to spread anything if I'm not sharing drinks or utensils with people.

250,000 - 500,000 deaths from the flu could be prevented every year if these same draconian actions were taken. Nobody does that or has ever suggested doing it. Are the flu deaths not "needless" deaths?
First, there is no proof that the numbers of death from flu would significantly decline by hundreds of thousands. Let's get that straight.

Second, the world's healthcare facilities and hospitals are not overflowing with flu patients to the point that M.A.S.H. units, floating hospitals, and mass morgues are needed. If that were a development, flu vaccine or not, you would see stricter measures in place. The death rate is not the driver. The powers in charge just care if the health systems are being overburdened to the point that they look like they are failing as a leader. They must maintain the commoner's belief that "modern medicine will save mankind". With the flu they can always throw the excuse out that, "If everyone would get their flu shot we wouldn't have all of these deaths." Doesn't matter how many did get a flu shot and still died since it's value is limited to whatever strain the "experts" guess will be strongest that year. We won't be told those numbers, or many more would forgo the flu shot realizing it's effectiveness is limited at best. Still, the health system's excuse that the deaths are really the patient's fault, despite being hog wash in many cases, stands unchallenged. The fact that hospitals aren't overwhelmed with flu patients and millions no longer die like they did in 1918 "proves" they have flu under control. This coronavirus has no proven treatment or vaccine. So, the medical world looks like a failure that has stepped back into the 1800's again if they say there is no way they can fight this disease. World leaders, governors, mayors, etc. all look powerless to protect their citizens. The shroud of being in control has fallen. Trust me, once a vaccine is produced or we get to a point that the large number of serious cases are no longer swamping hospitals, the death rate will no longer matter. The world's leaders and healthcare systems will once again be in "control". The obscure claim can once again be made that if more people would get their vaccines or practice good hygiene there wouldn't be needless deaths. After a few circuits of that message with no heathcare systems or political powers to blame the media would drop it as listeners would get bored and you wouldn't hear about how many die anymore.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Maybe a failure of imagination on the part of our governments, but not the medical community. There were a series of very good (and frankly scary) articles in the November 2017 issue of Smithsonian Magazine on the next pandemic...

This one includes a video, and one of the speakers is Dr. Fauci:

So no, we've known this was coming, and unlike a terrorist attack, we have 100+ years of experience knowing how viruses strike and spread. This should NOT have caught us off guard and shame on us all if we don't, in the future shift resources from things like building another aircraft carrier when we already have 20, to manufacturing and stockpiling medical supplies for the next INEVITABLE pandemic.
so how much money should we have invested? They will write the same thing the day after an asteroid hits earth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We are going to be remember as the generation that saved ourselves from a pandemic by selfishly stealing from future generations. Not only did we leave future generations worse off by our normal selfish spending and borrowing we top it off borrowing 25%:eek:f our GDP in a matter of weeks. How dumb can any generation be.
How did you feel about the recent tax cut bill? Ten year cost estimated to be slightly more than the $2 trillion stimulus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom