Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Do we think they go with this option? Couldn't read most of the article, this would explain the quietness. 500 million is nothing to sneeze it.

Some really bad PR for Disney if they don’t follow Uni’s lead.

I'd imagine they can not, from a PR perspective, follow Universal's lead. However, I do think neither company will likely go beyond that without furlough.

rk03221

I think Disney is just hoping they don't have to be the first headliner to say "we aren't paying our people" and is playing chicken with the deadline.

Disney World also needs “all hands on deck”backstage cms (painters, imagineers, etc) to get ready for the 50th and complete construction. The last thing they want to do is lay people off of those unfinished projects. The 50th was supposed to be a big deal and now it looks like a lot of it is in jeopardy

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I've been trying to keep a balance between staying up to date with everything Coronavirus, and taking mental breaks from the subject. I'm keeping myself busy and somewhat structured. That being said, I just started asking myself how long will it take me, to feel safe again while visiting WDW, regardless of when the parks will reopen. Is anyone else having similar thoughts, or is it the isolation that's beginning to take it's toll on me?

Stripes

I have said this in the past but it is probably worth mentioning again. Most people will accept strict lockdowns that last a few weeks. They will not accept strict lockdowns that last months, that is not a viable solution. So there has to be decisions made that avoid that...
I never thought I would miss work so much. Now I know how some retirees feel. Not doing much of anything productive weighs on you. Not to mention the isolation from human interaction.

MrConbon

I've been trying to keep a balance between staying up to date with everything Coronavirus, and taking mental breaks from the subject. I'm keeping myself busy and somewhat structured. That being said, I just started asking myself how long will it take me, to feel safe again while visiting WDW, regardless of when the parks will reopen. Is anyone else having similar thoughts, or is it the isolation that's beginning to take it's toll on me?
I’ll be there the day the park opens if the virus is still ongoing or not.

rk03221

If you are older and/or have underlying conditions I wouldn’t go until there is a vaccine. Heck, my wife and I are in our late 20s and have a trip to DLP planned for this summer for our honeymoon, if we didn’t make these plans a few months ago I wouldn’t go. As much as we love Disney it’s definitely not worth our health or potential of infecting others. Just me personally though.

Stripes

I didn't have any plans to visit, but from an economic standpoint this could be an issue. I have the feeling that many have the same thought process as you, and that could hurt the parks financially even after they reopen.

Not to imply that your feeling is wrong whatsoever. I'm just coming from a financial standpoint.

Giss Neric

Disney World also needs “all hands on deck”backstage cms (painters, imagineers, etc) to get ready for the 50th and complete construction. The last thing they want to do is lay people off of those unfinished projects. The 50th was supposed to be a big deal and now it looks like a lot of it is in jeopardy
Nah! Maybe Epcot construction is in jeopardy. Hollywood Studios is complete. Animal Kingdom is safe. Magic Kingdom will be fine cause Tron is progressing well. I don't think their 50th is in jeopardy unless Mr. Chapek does something stupid as usual.

Giss Neric

It all depends on your mental health. Do you have anxiety? Are you somewhat paranoid? I personally am aware of everything that is going on but I will definitely be there when the parks reopens. I will make changes like I won't bring the senior citizens in our family and stuff but I won't be scared.

I'm pretty sure when the parks reopens, there will be way lesser people so it means no need for fastpasses, no long wait times, no strollers everywhere. I went post hurricane and as much as I feel bad for the damage, I had the best trip cause I was able to do all my itinerary and more.

Lilofan

I am in Bergen County too... hello neighbor! 😁 I've recently lost my job because of this craziness unfortunately so sheltering in place is the norm regardless, but today when I went out I was kind of shocked at how many people were out and about, walking around with no worry about the 6 ft distance. Honestly I think this is going to get worse here before it gets better and the restrictions are about to get worse, at least until May.
Sorry to hear that. I have read to go to the grocery store in your county, the store is only letting 50 people in at a time?

Lilofan

There is nothing that leads me to believe that we will see a federal mandated lockdown. Not the stimulus package, not the daily conferences, not Dr Fauci, absolutely nothing. There is no evidence. Quite the contrary.
If the deaths and spreading do not improve, all bets are off.

Lilofan

If you are older and/or have underlying conditions I wouldn’t go until there is a vaccine. Heck, my wife and I are in our late 20s and have a trip to DLP planned for this summer for our honeymoon, if we didn’t make these plans a few months ago I wouldn’t go. As much as we love Disney it’s definitely not worth our health or potential of infecting others. Just me personally though.
If people share the same sentiment and rightly so since safety comes first, then Disney will struggle for business. From a business view standpoint and nothing personal, I can't see them employing all cast to be on the payroll in these conditions.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Now, here in California, there is no waiting period of unemployment, and a maximum of $450 per week, based on your paycheck. Also note that there are no taxes or union dues removed. If the House passes the Federal Stimulus Package, an extra $600 per week (regardless of your paycheck) will be received, so up to $1,050 a week.

So thank goodness the CM's should be in good shape.

But still, a shock to the system.
Interesting numbers if you are laid off in California.

Lilofan

Last edited:

durangojim

If there is anyone left out there who doesn’t understand the seriousness of the situation, this memo from a large hospital system in my area will most likely be released within the next couple of days and given to patients and their families. As a physician this is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen because we are the people who try to help and heal not just say “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do but try to make you comfortable while you die.”😪
B12449C0-4228-4E70-96B4-11F43712E86B.jpeg

Sans Souci

If there is anyone left out there who doesn’t understand the seriousness of the situation, this memo from a large hospital system in my area will most likely be released within the next couple of days and given to patients and their families. As a physician this is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen because we are the people who try to help and heal not just say “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do but try to make you comfortable while you die.”😪
View attachment 458952

This is related to your letter.

Lilofan

View attachment 458952
It's really sad but doctors have to make the most difficult call on who lives and who dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom