Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeoplemoverTTA

One "argument" I'm struggling with in this thread is the debate over the actual mortality rate.

While the percentage may decrease based on how many asymptomatic or unreported/untested cases there are, 40,000 (number is made up for this example) people flooding hospitals (in NY, for example, which is closing in on 40k cases and is still predicted to be 2-3 weeks from peaking, which could result in 40k or more in actual hospitals) that are ill-equipped to handle that many people are still 40,000 people.

We are working to flatten the curve so that people don't unnecessarily die and our healthcare system isn't unnecessarily overwhelmed with patients it cannot treat (and as a result, people with other urgent medical needs do not unnecessarily die).

Whether the percentage is one point lower or not, the actual number of people needing urgent care and overwhelming our hospitals will remain high (too high) if the country doesn't continue social distancing and other preventative measures.

So please stop with the percentages.

celluloid

Disney hasn't said whether CMs will be paid beyond the end of March. Universal already extended their shut down with pay, many people waiting for Disney to announce something one way or the other
Exactly.
And even Sea World Parks, which we don't know the new update there either, agreed to pay their Full Time Employees, and they don't make nearly as much bank as the other parks and even with all their negative propaganda, have taken care of their living assets both animals and humans the best they can.

if Disney can PR move taking care of animals, than they could have communicated to their CMS that they would be taken care of too.

DisneyCane

So people are dying by the hundreds and you're choosing to complain that you don't have an update on when Disney will open their Theme Parks? Might be time to adjust your priorities.

People die by the over hundred thousand every single day. Those who don't die need to live life, both now and after this "crisis" has passed.

3 of my wife's 4 siblings died young (all under 40) and unexpectedly over the course of 4 years. Of course we mourned but we also continued living and most certainly cared about our next trip to WDW and other vacations/recreation.

Assuming that the people that die from this virus wouldn't have died from another cause in roughly the same timeframe (which is certainly possible for the 80+ population), the deaths from this virus represent around a 2% increase from the normal number of daily deaths in the world.

Yes, all death is sad but I prefer to live every day to its fullest because any day could be my last and adding COVID-19 into the mix doesn't make the likelihood all that much higher that it will be.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We and the employees know the parks are not re-opening on the 1st, the statutes passed by both counties with jurisdiction over WDW have explicitly banned the operation of Theme Parks. I'm not sure where the disconnect is.

Your post was claiming that people didn't care about people dying but in reality they were simply looking to see if or when they will be scheduled and if or when they will get a paycheck. Not sure what your disconnect is.

Jwink

So people are dying by the hundreds and you're choosing to complain that you don't have an update on when Disney will open their Theme Parks? Might be time to adjust your priorities.
Who spit in your bean curd? No- my husband is logging in daily to see if Disney is going to continue to pay him after the 31st or if he’s missed ample time to apply for unemployment/find another job

Patcheslee

So new working orders: I've now been moved from a Mon-Fri 6:54am-3:24pm or 5:24pm shift to Fri-Sun 2:54am-3:24pm shift for at least a month to disperse production lines. I have been assigned a 3rd machining area to cover and the engineer I work with will be working from home. On the bright side that means only 1 day a week DD11 will be home alone, bad part is I will not be seeing my husband until this is over due to the shift changes.

LittleBuford

A family may have been planning a once in a lifetime trip to WDW for this week and grandma or grandpa may pass away of unrelated causes before they can reschedule. That moment and experience would be lost forever and also make the future trip filled with thoughts of "I wish grandpa could have been here."

What’s more tragic—a hypothetical grandma and granddad passing away before they get to go to WDW, or thousands of real grandparents dying needlessly because of our failure to take COVID-19 seriously?

I cannot believe some of the callous and selfish nonsense people are coming out with.

DisneyCane

What’s more tragic—a hypothetical grandma and granddad passing away before they get to go to WDW, or thousands of real grandparents dying needlessly because of our failure to take COVID-19 seriously?

I cannot believe some of the callous and selfish nonsense people are coming out with.

It isn't ONE hypothetical grandma or granddad. I used that example to illustrate the quality days being taken from EVERYBODY'S life every day that this extreme, police state, nonsense goes on around the world.

I take the disease seriously but things can be done to slow it down and reduce the deaths from it that don't involve shutting the world down and preventing the 99% of the population that won't die from it from enjoying their life. I can't even go to the darn beach where being outdoors and hot is not likely to spread anything if I'm not sharing drinks or utensils with people.

250,000 - 500,000 deaths from the flu could be prevented every year if these same draconian actions were taken. Nobody does that or has ever suggested doing it. Are the flu deaths not "needless" deaths?

21stamps

I wish the journalists would leave their politics out of the daily updates.

Anyway, a few things..

I have a lot of respect for Governor DeWine, he’s approaching this as cautious as possible, without shutting down schools and sports for the remainder of the year, yet. He’s going on information as it comes. I think this wait and see approach is the best.

Here’s where I’m confused, how are the models predicting a peak of 6-8k Ohioans per day, when in the same breath they say that we have no idea how many people are infected right now???
I’m trying to understand this.

21stamps

It isn't ONE hypothetical grandma or granddad. I used that example to illustrate the quality days being taken from EVERYBODY'S life every day that this extreme, police state, nonsense goes on around the world.

I take the disease seriously but things can be done to slow it down and reduce the deaths from it that don't involve shutting the world down and preventing the 99% of the population that won't die from it from enjoying their life.

250,000 - 500,000 deaths from the flu could be prevented every year if these same draconian actions were taken. Nobody does that or has ever suggested doing it. Are the flu deaths not "needless" deaths?

Take my earlier warning. ;) People went from being against the temporary ban of China flights, to now the biggest advocate of shutting everything down, no one even standing in the same yard as a neighbor. Everyone arrives at their outlook at a different time.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I wish the journalists would leave their politics out of the daily updates.

Anyway, a few things..

I have a lot of respect for Governor DeWine, he’s approaching this as cautious as possible, without shutting down schools and sports for the remainder of the year, yet. He’s going on information as it comes. I think this wait and see approach is the best.

Here’s where I’m confused, how are the models predicting a peak of 6-8k Ohioans per day, when in the same breath they say that we have no idea how many people are infected right now???
I’m trying to understand this.
Ah yes, the wait and see approach always ends well ... ;)

JoeT63

It seems a few need to re-read the title of this thread. It IS a place to try to understand how the virus will affect our Disney plans. I don't downplay the seriousness and I feel horribly for those who are sick. But this thread is about my Disney vacation. I also don't claim that it's a very important aspect of the overall situation, but if you need thrashing about and gnashing of teeth then maybe go elsewhere. There are plenty of forums/message boards/etc. out there to accommodate you.

RobWDW1971

It seems a few need to re-read the title of this thread. It IS a place to try to understand how the virus will affect our Disney plans. I don't downplay the seriousness and I feel horribly for those who are sick. But this thread is about my Disney vacation. I also don't claim that it's a very important aspect of the overall situation, but if you need thrashing about and gnashing of teeth then maybe go elsewhere. There are plenty of forums/message boards/etc. out there to accommodate you.
Disney World is closed.
Nobody knows when it will reopen.

Next question?

LittleBuford

I take the disease seriously but things can be done to slow it down and reduce the deaths from it that don't involve shutting the world down and preventing the 99% of the population that won't die from it from enjoying their life. I can't even go to the darn beach where being outdoors and hot is not likely to spread anything if I'm not sharing drinks or utensils with people.

There have been dozens of posts in this thread, not to mention countless news articles and medical and official announcements, explaining why the comparison to flu is flawed and why the biggest threat posed by the virus is its knock-on effect rather than its inherent lethality. For reasons I will never understand, you are choosing to ignore these correctives and constantly repeating the same tired and misleading talking points. We don’t all have to agree on how the crisis ought to be handled, but we should at least strive to be accurate and informed before entering into debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom