Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

No worries! FFP2 are the European equivalent of properly tested KN95 (I had to relearn all the terminology during my recent trips back home to the UK). I’m sorry your friend caught the virus though glad it wasn’t a bad case.
Yeah I guess their family member suggested FFP2 when KN95 fakes were common and they stuck. Finding good masks is hard.

I have had a lot of friends test positive this year or even late last year. Fortunately none were in bad shape.

mmascari

But I'd be willing to bet that if wide scale productivity was tracked job for job, the balance of more work being done would fall to the people who go to a workplace.
You would be surprised then.

Assuming a job can be done from anywhere, typical office job using a computer. Assuming someone is able to create a work environment at home. Then, it’s all about the person and manager, not the location.

A bad employee will be bad at either location. A bad manager will create issues with either type of employee.

So, yeah, the person who thinks WFH means they don’t need child care for a 4 year old, that’s an employee problem. Likewise, the person living in a 3 bedroom, 1800 sq ft house with 6 people, there’s no working space. The person trying to work over a dial up connection is going to have issues too.

As long as someone can create a home work environment, that same person will almost always be better at home. It’s likely a management issue if they are not.

If his wasn’t true, every company with multiple locations or contractors would fall apart.

James J

In the Parks
No

Assuming a job can be done from anywhere, typical office job using a computer. Assuming someone is able to create a work environment at home. Then, it’s all about the person and manager, not the location.

A bad employee will be bad at either location. A bad manager will create issues with either type of employee.

So, yeah, the person who thinks WFH means they don’t need child care for a 4 year old, that’s an employee problem. Likewise, the person living in a 3 bedroom, 1800 sq ft house with 6 people, there’s no working space. The person trying to work over a dial up connection is going to have issues too.

As long as someone can create a home work environment, that same person will almost always be better at home. It’s likely a management issue if they are not.

If his wasn’t true, every company with multiple locations or contractors would fall apart.
I've just started a new job, and at interview I was told that my contract would be to fully work from home. Pre-pandemic, the director (who I had my interview with) wasn't keen on WFH and had everyone in the office. Two years later, everyone is at home and he's moved literally a plane ride away as the company has continued to grow and grow despite covid and new employees are hired from anywhere in the UK.

The job I've just left went a similar way. Whilst I was still there they tried getting everybody back in one day a week for a few months, but that has since been stopped as they've realised everyone was still as productive at home.

Heelz2315

Looks like DL made a change to their mask policy. They dropped them on enclosed transportation. I guess this is the equivalent of WDW removing them on monorails?

Regardless I’m glad to see them still removing restrictions. I’m terrified they’ll return if things go sideways

https://.com/2022/04/face-masks-now-optional-on-enclosed-disneyland-resort-transportation/

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Rescue Ranger

I was randomly looking at park pass reservations this week and was surprised to notice all parks but Epcot were 'filled'.

Out of curiosity, if I was to book a last minute resort stay, would more park pass availability potentially open or does that not change anything? Was considering an Animal Kingdom visit this week if I did a last minute resort stay but I see it isnt available all week.

TehPuddingMan

I was randomly looking at park pass reservations this week and was surprised to notice all parks but Epcot were 'filled'.

Out of curiosity, if I was to book a last minute resort stay, would more park pass availability potentially open or does that not change anything? Was considering an Animal Kingdom visit this week if I did a last minute resort stay but I see it isnt available all week.
Yes. There’s more availability for people staying on site.

Nubs70

How millionaires and billionaires find the drive to keep doing what they are doing is beyond me.
But of course, that drive is what got them to where they got in the first place.
Success is also a function of opportunity that can ultimately come down to chance.

Good friend in high-school got himself a marketing degree and then a entry level job in Chicago. On skiing trip to Telluride a few years later he happened to take the single rider line on a lift. He rode up with a soon to retire C level marketing executive. They struck up a conversation and the executive wanted to start up an analytics firm. My friend ended being the CEO/Founder of the organization with an entire 2 floors of a high rise in The Loop with an office overlooking Lake Michigan.

My friend has always been socially gifted and very entrepreneurial but I doubt he would have clients like every automobile manufacturer in the world had he not gotten in the single rider line.

Lilofan

My thoughts exactly.
I retired at age 56, with a NYS pension off of a 100k job.
How millionaires and billionaires find the drive to keep doing what they are doing is beyond me.
But of course, that drive is what got them to where they got in the first place.
Some billionaires don’t like standing still. They quest for more knowledge and try new things. One even still eats at Dairy Queen regularly and drives a pre owned Cadillac followed by his security team. A European billionaire even eats in his ( Zara ) employee cafeteria with his employees ( take advantage of the free lunch )!

Last edited:

DisneyCane

My thoughts exactly.
I retired at age 56, with a NYS pension off of a 100k job.

Some billionaires don’t like standing still. They quest for more knowledge and try new things. One even still eats at Dairy Queen regularly and drives a pre owned Cadillac followed by his security team.

For some it is the challenge of creating hugely successful enterprises. A friend of mine knows a billionaire in his 80s who is still not retired. The guy doesn't live the lifestyle you would expect like I dream about if I win the powerball. Sure he has a big house on the water and a private jet but he doesn't spend anything close to what he earns. He is just driven by the challenge to keep creating successful businesses.

He gives away a lot of money and I'm sure that huge sums will be donated by his estate when he dies. Even Elon Musk seems to be driven by the challenge of complex engineering and solving problems more than the money he makes off of it. When he invested in Tesla and took it over it was to create a mainstream, high performance and somewhat affordable electric car. I don't think he went into it thinking that it would make him the richest man in the world, that was just a side effect of achieving his vision.

Personally, I'm motivated to try and retire as young as possible and be able to maintain my relatively modest lifestyle for the rest of my life. I don't have the drive to work until I'm in my 70s. I might want to have a part time job of some type in retirement just to have something that requires a little brain power a few days a month just to try and keep my mind sharp.

DC0703

Pax about to be widely available. Hopefully that goes a long way toward keeping hospitalizations down, and most restrictions from returning across America even if cases go high.

One challenge that remains with Paxlovid is that it needs to be given early in the course of the illness to be effective. For those who are proactive, particularly those cognizant of the fact they are at higher risk of severe disease and who are looking to take precautions, this will be a big help and will cut down on poor outcomes. It will be less effective with those who dismiss covid as a bad cold, because they may not get medical consultation until later in the disease course.

DisneyCane

I mostly agree but it depends a little on what kind of work the person is doing. Back when I was a hardware engineer designing cell phones there were many problems solved with impromptu meetings in the hallway or being able to run over to another engineers cubicle or a lab and work on some analysis or measurements together. If there were hardware/software interaction issues, it was incredibly productive to walk down to the software engineer with a circuit board and be able to go over the code and what it was causing the hardware to do.

There is no question that many things I worked on would have taken a lot longer if we were all working from home. Even with modern video conferencing it would not be easy to work together as efficiently.

mmascari

I mostly agree but it depends a little on what kind of work the person is doing. Back when I was a hardware engineer designing cell phones there were many problems solved with impromptu meetings in the hallway or being able to run over to another engineers cubicle or a lab and work on some analysis or measurements together. If there were hardware/software interaction issues, it was incredibly productive to walk down to the software engineer with a circuit board and be able to go over the code and what it was causing the hardware to do.

There is no question that many things I worked on would have taken a lot longer if we were all working from home. Even with modern video conferencing it would not be easy to work together as efficiently.
Obviously if you need hands on a piece of hardware, that’s a unique constraint. But you would be surprised how useful the collaboration tools are, no video needed. Screen sharing and lots of monitors for the win. Way better than one person literally looking over the others shoulder.

The impromptu talk to someone is even easier. I’m literally a keystroke away from everyone in the company I could possibly need.

correcaminos

This seems like a pointless post. Of course this is true. Just like it’s also true there are much bigger things to be terrifies then Covid.
The poster quoted does worry about masks returning for trips mostly. I think at this point with Philly flip flopping again, we won't have real issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom