Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

I'm currently recovering from Covid, which I got from a work meeting. It has been a struggle. Two weeks later and I still cannot talk much without having coughing fits due to damage from the disease to my larynx area. You'd rather have this than wear a mask? You're right, I definitely cannot wrap my mind around it.
I hope you can make a full recovery, I had it at the beginning and I have lingering effects

correcaminos

I hope you can make a full recovery, I had it at the beginning and I have lingering effects
So sorry you are. That's the other crazy puzzle piece. Not knowing who will deal with long covid and who will not. Though at least now studies are showing long covid much less in vaccinated than not so that's hopeful for the future.

In a few weeks it marks 10 months post booster. That was the same time I was called in for the booster past 2nd dose. I'm not eligible for a 2nd booster anyway but it will be interesting to see if they call me to do anything at all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My wife and I are here at Disney this week (both shots and two boosters each Moderna) and have seen very few masks at all, mostly worn by incoming resort guests. Given the current numbers of guests milling about, I hope nothing is silently spreading.

JoeCamel

My wife and I are here at Disney this week (both shots and two boosters each Moderna) and have seen very few masks at all, mostly worn by incoming resort guests. Given the current numbers of guests milling about, I hope nothing is silently spreading.
You can be sure there is something going around, stomach flu, noro, children's RSV it all vacations in the world.

Lilofan

Good for you in getting the 2 boosters!

DisneyDoctor

I’m not debating anything. Just stating a fact. I know a lot of people can’t wrap their minds around the fact that some people care more about being forced to mask then they do about getting Covid. But there are literally tens of millions of people who feel that way.
I hate masks. I wear them everyday and loathe them. But, I hate telling people their loved one is dying more.

Disney4Lyfe

I hate masks. I wear them everyday and loathe them. But, I hate telling people their loved one is dying more.
Another poster completely missing the point.

Do you disagree with my statement that there are “x” amount of people that feel mask wearing is worse then getting Covid?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Some billionaires don’t like standing still. They quest for more knowledge and try new things. One even still eats at Dairy Queen regularly and drives a pre owned Cadillac followed by his security team. A European billionaire even eats in his ( Zara ) employee cafeteria with his employees ( take advantage of the free lunch )!
I did some IT contract work for Dell Technologies some years ago, and Ross Perot would be there every day, eating in the employee cafeteria with the rest of us. He was always friendly and said hello to everyone he encountered. He did have a body guard right by his side all the time and they had lunch together every day. Very much a down to earth person.

Dizneykid

You can be sure there is something going around, stomach flu, noro, children's RSV it all vacations in the world.
It's interesting because most people still survive their Disney trips without getting sick. My husband got sick one time out of seven trips. Two of our trips were after covid and we didn't get sick from those trips. I think masks actually do provide a benefit when everyone wears them but it's simply not practical to mandate it without justification. I know this is anecdotal but it seems like most transmission happens in significant close contact which is often not achieved in the settings where mandates existed.

DisneyCane

It's interesting because most people still survive their Disney trips without getting sick. My husband got sick one time out of seven trips. Two of our trips were after covid and we didn't get sick from those trips. I think masks actually do provide a benefit when everyone wears them but it's simply not practical to mandate it without justification. I know this is anecdotal but it seems like most transmission happens in significant close contact which is often not achieved in the settings where mandates existed.
Over the past 18 years I have spent days in the parks very frequently. It varies year to year the exact number of days. I have been sick at most twice a year, usually less, over that time. None of the illnesses that I remember came shortly after I returned from WDW.

When I'm there I've always been obsessive with hand sanitizer use, making sure not to touch my face and washing my hands like I'm scrubbing in for surgery before eating.

I don't think WDW is quite the petri dish it is made out to be.

DisneyCane

That’s actually not all you’re saying. You’re also saying that even if conditions change to such a bad extent that mask mandates come back, which would mean the concern isn’t that you’ll get COVID, but that you’ll give someone else COVID, you would prefer to both get COVID and give it to someone else than wear a mask.

If it was just you, nobody would care. That’s where we are now, today. You’re also saying (perhaps not on purpose) you’re fine with giving COVID to someone else. Someone who may not react as well to catching it.

Feels pretty crass to just not wear a mask then. Which is also why, if masks come back, there will be bigger things to worry about, like the rampant transmission of COVID that would need to return first and dealing with people that would prefer to infect you than take even the most basic mitigation effort.
Other people can get fit tested and wear an N95 so I won't give it to them. They also can (and should) get vaccinated so that if I do somehow give it to them it will be incredibly unlikely to be a serious or long term illness.

With widespread and free availability of N95 respirators and vaccines there is no reason to have a mask requirement anywhere ever again.

Dizneykid

Over the past 18 years I have spent days in the parks very frequently. It varies year to year the exact number of days. I have been sick at most twice a year, usually less, over that time. None of the illnesses that I remember came shortly after I returned from WDW.

When I'm there I've always been obsessive with hand sanitizer use, making sure not to touch my face and washing my hands like I'm scrubbing in for surgery before eating.

I don't think WDW is quite the petri dish it is made out to be.

Definitely and most of us are living proof. I will say that I understand wearing a mask more at Disney World than most destinations. It may or may not be necessary but I get why people would lol. I never find myself near that many people anywhere else in my life. It says something about disease transmission that people can usually stay healthy at a place like that.

mmascari

Other people can get fit tested and wear an N95 so I won't give it to them. They also can (and should) get vaccinated so that if I do somehow give it to them it will be incredibly unlikely to be a serious or long term illness.

With widespread and free availability of N95 respirators and vaccines there is no reason to have a mask requirement anywhere ever again.
Today. That's where we are today.

We're not quite at the level I would like, but I don't get to pick the level. We're clearly at a level low enough for that to be the plan. Now that it is the plan, it's the plan. I'm not suggesting mask mandates should come back today.

This was in response to someone worrying about mask mandates coming back and that if that was to happen their would be bigger things to worry about. Such as whatever the unfortunate conditions are that would change the recommendation.

Pretend a new variant develops that reduces the vaccination effectiveness below 10%, that cases soar to 500/100K 7 day average, and deaths are back to 3,000 a day. In that scenario, bringing back a mask mandate would make sense. In this pretend scenario, the mask mandate shouldn't be someone's primary concern no matter how much they dislike mask. The uncontrolled transmission of a virus with no vaccine that's causing large quantities of deaths and other impacts should be of greater concern.

We're not in that pretend world. Let's hope we don't end up there, I much prefer where we are to that scenario.

correcaminos

Ummm... hi. *waves nervously* N95s don't fit me. Period. What do you do for adults who cannot wear them because they are pocket sized? I hope my 10 month old booster works too because I cannot get another.

But seriously just pointing out how narrow your approach is. I do not want masks back but I will never just say never and screw it if life is horrible again. Just not my style.

DisneyCane

Today. That's where we are today.

We're not quite at the level I would like, but I don't get to pick the level. We're clearly at a level low enough for that to be the plan. Now that it is the plan, it's the plan. I'm not suggesting mask mandates should come back today.

This was in response to someone worrying about mask mandates coming back and that if that was to happen their would be bigger things to worry about. Such as whatever the unfortunate conditions are that would change the recommendation.

Pretend a new variant develops that reduces the vaccination effectiveness below 10%, that cases soar to 500/100K 7 day average, and deaths are back to 3,000 a day. In that scenario, bringing back a mask mandate would make sense. In this pretend scenario, the mask mandate shouldn't be someone's primary concern no matter how much they dislike mask. The uncontrolled transmission of a virus with no vaccine that's causing large quantities of deaths and other impacts should be of greater concern.

We're not in that pretend world. Let's hope we don't end up there, I much prefer where we are to that scenario.
While I certainly hope we don't get a variant that makes the vaccines drop to such a low level of efficacy, as long as N95 respirators continue to be highly effective at destination control, why would any mask requirements be necessary even under your nightmare scenario.

Under that type of scenario, I would imagine a high percentage of people would voluntarily wear N95 respirators to protect themselves but I still don't see any reason to require them even in that situation.

DisneyCane

Ummm... hi. *waves nervously* N95s don't fit me. Period. What do you do for adults who cannot wear them because they are pocket sized? I hope my 10 month old booster works too because I cannot get another.

But seriously just pointing out how narrow your approach is. I do not want masks back but I will never just say never and screw it if life is horrible again. Just not my style.
There has to be some type of N95 respirator that can fit you even if it is one of the "gas mask" style ones made for construction work. Otherwise, you or somebody with your face size would not be able to ever get certain healthcare jobs, even prior to COVID, where they were used as PPE (mostly for patients with suspected or confirmed Tuberculosis).

Incomudro

Definitely and most of us are living proof. I will say that I understand wearing a mask more at Disney World than most destinations. It may or may not be necessary but I get why people would lol. I never find myself near that many people anywhere else in my life. It says something about disease transmission that people can usually stay healthy at a place like that.
It's why we have immune systems.
Look at the NYC subway system: Some 2 million people ride that thing every day (I did it for 35 years) often stuffed in shoulder to shoulder, and sometimes sharing that car with a homeless person or two - who carries who knows what?
But the population of NYC doesn't fall ill on a daily basis,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom