Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My employees adapted very well to working from home and I never had a concern about them slacking off. If you have to watch your employee like a hawk to make sure they do their jobs, then there is something else wrong.
I manage two all-star staff locally and one all-star staff 3,000 miles away. It's not MY direct reports I'm concerned with, it's my peers. Nothing I can do about them.

Incomudro

My employees adapted very well to working from home and I never had a concern about them slacking off. If you have to watch your employee like a hawk to make sure they do their jobs, then there is something else wrong.
It's not a question of needing to watch employees like a hawk to make sure they do their jobs.
It's just human nature.
People work better when they man a station to work, or - in the case of school - learn.
Sure, some people have the drive and ethic to do it anywhere.
But most people are more productive when those things are in a set structure.
Home is potentially full of distractions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's not a question of needing to watch employees like a hawk to make sure they do their jobs.
It's just human nature.
People work better when they man a station to work, or - in the case of school - learn.

The office environment can also be filled with distractions.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My wife and I were talking about this with regard to the mega-wealthy and how we can't relate to someone who has $100 billion and still has the drive and passion to go to work every morning. If I had $100 billion, I'd buy the Red Sox, build a mega yacht, staff the mega yacht, give away $95 billion, and never work another single solitary second.

Incomudro

My wife and I were talking about this with regard to the mega-wealthy and how we can't relate to someone who has $100 billion and still has the drive and passion to go to work every morning. If I had $100 billion, I'd buy the Red Sox, build a mega yacht, staff the mega yacht, give away $95 billion, and never work another single solitary second.
My thoughts exactly.
I retired at age 56, with a NYS pension off of a 100k job.
How millionaires and billionaires find the drive to keep doing what they are doing is beyond me.
But of course, that drive is what got them to where they got in the first place.

correcaminos

It's just human nature.
Not true of all though. Some do better at home with less distractions from co workers. Husband works longer since no travel. He's IT and most of that is done remotely anyway and lots of guys were all remote prior as it was. They do have to have some in person at times, but he has been able to work from home for years.

As someone who has WFH for decade I prefer it. In the office I do get distracted more when I do go in. But we have clients in and out which makes it harder. So definitely not true for all.

Incomudro

Not true of all though. Some do better at home with less distractions from co workers. Husband works longer since no travel. He's IT and most of that is done remotely anyway and lots of guys were all remote prior as it was. They do have to have some in person at times, but he has been able to work from home for years.

As someone who has WFH for decade I prefer it. In the office I do get distracted more when I do go in. But we have clients in and out which makes it harder. So definitely not true for all.
Yes, not true of all people of course.
But I'd be willing to bet that if wide scale productivity was tracked job for job, the balance of more work being done would fall to the people who go to a workplace.

correcaminos

Yes, not true of all people of course.
But I'd be willing to bet that if wide scale productivity was tracked job for job, the balance of more work being done would fall to the people who go to a workplace.
Could be, but as someone who does IT work I feel like I'm too far removed to really know. My spouse was in charge of getting everyone able to WFH. Some failed miserably. Some loved if. I imagine a hybrid might be the right balance for some especially if they have longer commutes

For some WFH they need specific offices and have to get up and do their day as usual to work. Not all do have the discipline to do it fo sure.

LittleBuford

N95s are NIOSH approved. KN95s are not. Point is no matter what wearing one that is ill fitting doesn't help. N95s are useless on my kid sized head

ETA here is an article discussing N95 ear loops https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2772936

Curious if this one is legit https://shop.projectn95.org/readimask-n1902s-n95-respirators-bag-of-10/p
Oh, I know about the difference in NIOSH approval. It’s in large part bcsuse they’re not NIOSH-certified that KN95s vary so much in quality from brand to brand.

As for the question of straps, I’m now more confused than ever! The article you shared states, “It’s well known ear loops don't offer good fitting characteristics. This is one reason why NIOSH does not accept facepieces with ear loops for N95 filtering facepiece respirator certification.” Yet the strapless brand you provided a link for does appear to be legit. Perhaps someone who better understands NIOSH certification can explain what’s going on.

correcaminos

Oh, I know about the difference in NIOSH approval. It’s in large part bcsuse they’re not NIOSH-certified that KN95s vary so much in quality from brand to brand.

As for the question of straps, I’m now more confused than ever! The article you shared states, “It’s well known ear loops don't offer good fitting characteristics. This is one reason why NIOSH does not accept facepieces with ear loops for N95 filtering facepiece respirator certification.” Yet the strapless brand you provided a link for does appear to be legit. Perhaps someone who better understands NIOSH certification can explain what’s going on.
And how did they test N95s with ear loops if they don't exist. But then also how does the strappless one fit in? I just will go whatever and move on. I cannot fit into N95s no matter anyway. Even KN95s often don't fit me and had to move to KN94 for small heads.

I don't understand at all really. Especially the bit about fit test not done from the one article.

In short if you wanna mask, make sure it fits? I guess? Whether N95, KN95, KN94, FFP2-3 etc

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Could be, but as someone who does IT work I feel like I'm too far removed to really know. My spouse was in charge of getting everyone able to WFH. Some failed miserably. Some loved if. I imagine a hybrid might be the right balance for some especially if they have longer commutes

For some WFH they need specific offices and have to get up and do their day as usual to work. Not all do have the discipline to do it fo sure.

I am in the IT/IS field and work from home is becoming the norm for a lot of people. I recently had to hire a new database administrator and I was looking for a hybrid part home/part office but could not get a decent candidate unless I accepted full work from home. As for other departments, the managers who are the most resistant to letting people work from home also tend to be the ones who like to micro manage their employees.

LittleBuford

I've heard that KN95's need to be researched to find the good ones. Proper N95's need to be fitted so the average person isn't wearing it correctly or at all. They aren't as easy to wear either. It's a shame there isn't a more practical one to wear that people at high risk can feel confident about.
I wear a 3M Aura when I travel and am confident it fits me well based on the fact that it’s the only mask I’ve found that causes absolutely no fogging with my glasses.

As for KN95s, Powecom is a brand I kept reading good things about, and I’ve been very happy with it.

LittleBuford

And how did they test N95s with ear loops if they don't exist. But then also how does the strappless one fit in?
That’s why I’m confused! At any rate, all I was trying to say is that a mask with ear loops isn’t likely to be an N95 (the Honeywell one you linked to last night has head straps). I agree that fit matters more the classification of the mask: a nicely sealed KN95 is going to do more to protect you than a gaping N95.

correcaminos

I am in the IT/IS field and work from home is becoming the norm for a lot of people. I recently had to hire a new database administrator and I was looking for a hybrid part home/part office but could not get a decent candidate unless I accepted full work from home. As for other departments, the managers who are the most resistant to letting people work from home also tend to be the ones who like to micro manage their employees.
Yeah most system and database admins are more WFH. I think when my spouse hires for some they just ask that they can go in if an emergency. He manages multiple offices in the US and abroad so his work location is irrelevant pretty much anyway. The help desk does require some on site people. When WFH started he was in helping to deal with physical hardware hand outs locally.

That’s why I’m confused! At any rate, all I was trying to say is that a mask with ear loops isn’t likely to be an N95 (the Honeywell one you linked to last night has head straps). I agree that fit matters more the classification of the mask: a nicely sealed KN95 is going to do more to protect you than a gaping N95.
I am comfused as well. I must have linked to the wrong one and too far back to find - it was a black mask I meant to link to which I thought was my friend's but turns out they used the FFP2 masks. There were a few N95 printed masks with loops, but not many. My mistake I linked a wrong one.

Given the testing done on each a legit KN95 sounds just as good as a N95 as a whole.

I'm not wearing any masks now though so most of it doesn't matter to me. I know my friend had on a well rated mask (though euro standards) and managed to pick it up. I don't think they were bad off. Just lots of exposure. They also seem to catch everything that goes around and had started to see a doctor for it prior to covid.

LittleBuford

I am comfused as well. I must have linked to the wrong one and too far back to find - it was a black mask I meant to link to which I thought was my friend's but turns out they used the FFP2 masks. There were a few N95 printed masks with loops, but not many. My mistake I linked a wrong one.

Given the testing done on each a legit KN95 sounds just as good as a N95 as a whole.

I'm not wearing any masks now though so most of it doesn't matter to me. I know my friend had on a well rated mask (though euro standards) and managed to pick it up. I don't think they were bad off. Just lots of exposure. They also seem to catch everything that goes around and had started to see a doctor for it prior to covid.
No worries! FFP2 are the European equivalent of properly tested KN95 (I had to relearn all the terminology during my recent trips back home to the UK). I’m sorry your friend caught the virus though glad it wasn’t a bad case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom