Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

At this point, I’d only get a 2nd booster of the original formulation if required. We are traveling abroad this summer, so if Europe requires another booster, we will. But these requirements seem to be disappearing.

I read about the approval for a second booster this morning and had a similar thought, I don’t feel I need it at this point.

I’ve worked 12 concerts this month, shared air with 60,000 screaming and singing people and my vaxed and boosted immune system is holding up fine.

If cases start going up drastically again I’ll consider it, or if it’s required for something like travel abroad or cruises I’ll get it, but otherwise I don’t see the need.

mmascari

(It's a free link.)

Despite the headline, the article doesn't actually say how good a J&J plus 2 MRNA is compared to just J&J plus 1 MRNA.

Bolding mine:
When researchers compared the effectiveness of several vaccine combinations in preventing emergency room or urgent care visits, they found:

· A single Johnson & Johnson shot offered 24 percent effectiveness;
· Two Johnson & Johnson shots offered 54 percent effectiveness;
· A combination of Johnson & Johnson with one messenger RNA booster offered 79 percent effectiveness;
· Three messenger RNA shots offered 83 percent effectiveness.

Protection against hospitalization, meanwhile, was significantly higher with three doses of the messenger RNA vaccines, which offered 90 percent effectiveness. That compared with:
· A single Johnson & Johnson shot, which offered 31 percent effectiveness;
· Two Johnson & Johnson shots, which offered 67 percent effectiveness;
· A Johnson & Johnson shot with a messenger RNA booster, which offered 78 percent effectiveness.

The article didn't call out two MRNA doses, but if someone digs through the CDC study, they may find that for comparison to the three doses noted above. I glanced at it, but it didn't jump out at me. It's probably in there and I didn't look close enough. I also didn't see anything about 1 J&J and 2 MRNA beyond the headline.

CDC Study linked in article:

So, for all those Team J&J, maybe we're still good at 1&1 and maybe we need 1&2 getting us the same number of shots as everyone else. Or, maybe by the time we need number 3, everyone will be on a yearly schedule and we'll stay 1 less forever. :cool:

Joesixtoe

The protection against infection does wane over the course of a few months, but the protection against serious disease, hospitalization and death lasts longer.
That's not the data I'm seeing. Like I said, I can show one thing and the next person shows the opposite. I just personally have rarely seen an unvaccinated individual coming into the hospital getting covid twice, let alone getting hit hard by it. Early treatment is key. Recognizing natural immunity is also a big key that many for unknown reasons seem to like to ignore. Red flags everywhere honestly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's not the data I'm seeing. Like I said, I can show one thing and the next person shows the opposite. I just personally have rarely seen an unvaccinated individual coming into the hospital getting covid twice, let alone getting hit hard by it. Early treatment is key. Recognizing natural immunity is also a big key that many for unknown reasons seem to like to ignore. Red flags everywhere honestly.

What source are you using for your data?

Joesixtoe

What source are you using for your data?
I've already posted quite a bit a few months back. Whether it's stuff out of Isreal or what not. People will gravitate towards those voices they believe they can trust.
1648632008551.png

drizgirl

I'm definitely holding off.

1) Since protection seems to wane with the boosters, I would prefer to wait until I'm in more danger. Like if we get word a big surge is on its way.

2) I was sick for 2 days after my 2nd shot and also my booster. Would do it again, but the timing and risk/benefit calculus needs to be different from what it is today.

Disney4Lyfe

As the (seemingly semi annual) new booters are "approved" does that change the definition of fully vaccinated?
"Sorry sir, you only have three shots. The new requirement to get in here is 4 shots"
I believe this will depend on where you live. Though, the booster mandates seem to be fewer and fewer.

A related story.

My best friend is an oncology nurse at Mt Sinai. She is wicked smaht, heart of gold. Someone we should all strive to be more like.

They mandated boosters, and she held out for as long as she could. She was not comfortable with the risk/benefit analysis. Then, a week before she would lose her job, she gave in and got the booster. She immediately developed myocarditis. She can't work out, she has to monitor her heart rate all the time, so on and so forth. Then, in the day or two before the deadline, they dropped the booster mandate.

Lilofan

I believe this will depend on where you live. Though, the booster mandates seem to be fewer and fewer.

A related story.

My best friend is an oncology nurse at Mt Sinai. She is wicked smaht, heart of gold. Someone we should all strive to be more like.

They mandated boosters, and she held out for as long as she could. She was not comfortable with the risk/benefit analysis. Then, a week before she would lose her job, she gave in and got the booster. She immediately developed myocarditis. She can't work out, she has to monitor her heart rate all the time, so on and so forth. Then, in the day or two before the deadline, they dropped the booster mandate.
Risk/benefit as an oncology nurse still thinking about not getting the booster vaccine? That's a no brainer and kudos to hospitals for giving the directive to RNs- get the shots or lose your job.

Disstevefan1

A related story.

A terrible story. It's said the need for boosters is "science" based and as we see they can mandate it and then drop the mandate at will :(

Epcotfan21

I’ll go slow.

She got vaccinated.

She didn’t want to get boosted.

It WAS mandated so she was forced.

The mandate was then dropped.

She is suffering due to the vaccine.
I didn’t want to get boosted, but my company issued a booster mandate during the height of omicron for those wanting to go back into the office, which I wanted in another attempt to get “back to normal.”

They dropped the booster requirement a month ago, which to me makes zero sense because those that still want to go into the office have to be fully vaccinated. Problem is 99.9% of employees that are fully vaccinated received their vaccines over a year ago and therefore no longer have the antibodies. So why continue to have the vaccine requirement?

Disstevefan1

I didn’t want to get boosted, but my company issued a booster mandate during the height of omicron for those wanting to go back into the office, which I wanted in another attempt to get “back to normal.”

They dropped the booster requirement a month ago, which to me makes zero sense because those that still want to go into the office have to be fully vaccinated. Problem is 99.9% of employees that are fully vaccinated received their vaccines over a year ago and therefore no longer have the antibodies. So why continue to have the vaccine requirement?
Because requirements, mandates are arbitrary and not based on science...

correcaminos

Um waning antibodies doesn't mean zero nor does it mean no protection.

I haven't had a shot since July of last year. I still know I have protection at good enough levels that I feel safe enough to go outside in public without masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom