Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

Do you have a link to the chart?

Was the difference in fully vaccinated vs boosted really very small or did the chart also include unvaccinated?

Looking at @MisterPenguin 's chart, the difference between fully vaccinated vs boosted looks small, however, the unvaccinated line is skewing the scale. If you remove it and look at just the two, the change in scale will show that it's a very meaningful difference.

I haven't seen one, but if they added a line for "one dose of a two dose vaccine", I'm willing to bet it would be closer to the unvaccinated than the fully vaccinated line and that much further from the boosted line.
The chart was posted somewhere in this thread! Haha.

The numbers were identical for at least 1 age group and it went up to about 1% difference for 55-65 I think.

mmascari

The chart was posted somewhere in this thread! Haha.

The numbers were identical for at least 1 age group and it went up to about 1% difference for 55-65 I think.
Clearly I missed it, or just don't remember.

1% of what? That could be a HUGE number and impact.
Or, was it 1 in a rate per 100K? Even that would be a large actual impact.

Married5Times

US govt is telling us, more or less, all of us will be hosting soon.

outside of doing the hermit thing we all get it.

thus, I have no problem with Novak. He already is the greatest tennis player ever and soon he will have more majors than any other on the ATP scene.

mmascari

As long as you're polite and say "Excuse me. My freedom got in line a bit ago, just catching up." as you pass each group I think you will be fine.
Do I have to ask them all? How about just the one in the front. Perhaps you could get a Lightning Lane and then let me cut in front of that. It would really help with my Freedom. I'm sure it was with you as the Lightning Lane was reserved.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For "fully vaccinated" or for "boosted", because that was the question.
That’s a moving goal post…they aren’t consistent.

but that doesn’t change anything…unless the booster lessens the effectiveness…which there is no evidence of - quite contrary - there is zero reason to say “I need more study of the boosters” as has become fashionable in the anti-science circle of geniuses…

it’s the same freaking stuff

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because people see some of things things a infringing on people's freedoms.
He’s Canadian…so I’ll take this one:

those people are wrong.

read…READ…the constitution. And You can see what it doesn’t and does say.

it doesn’t support that stance.

but I’ll give you a pass…the kook Supreme Court is getting it wrong now too. But at least they’re doing that after the check clears 💸

tpoly88

Is that typically used as a preventative or just as treatment if an infection develops?
A treatment. Hospital wanted me to do an infusion of remdesiver (spelled wrong) for 8 hrs and I said I’m not coming to the hospital to do that. Dr gave me a steroid and doxycycline. I have to believe the shot helped it not be so bad, but it still was pretty bad for both of us for 72 hrs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A treatment. Hospital wanted me to do an infusion of remdesiver (spelled wrong) for 8 hrs and I said I’m not coming to the hospital to do that. Dr gave me a steroid and doxycycline. I have to believe the shot helped it not be so bad, but it still was pretty bad for both of us for 72 hrs
In passing…I heard something about this…

“the vaccines don’t work…but thankfully our leader gave us Remdesivir…”

um…no 🙄

hopemax

My advice, stop reading so much news.

No one, NO ONE, knows how long this will or won’t last.

I choose to be optimistic and side with the articles saying Omicron may be the end and in a couple months the world will be even more normal, until something changes there’s no benefit in believing the doom and gloom over the sunny predictions.

The good news is a we’ve now got vaccines that are effective at preventing most serious cases, the world is back open, and life is 90% normal. Focus on the positive rather than the negative!
But your signal that "everything is fine unless proven otherwise" is a signal for for-profit businesses, and government leaders to make the same choice. Which means no testing resources, no mask improvements, discontinuation of COVID sick leave policies, no backup labor plans for healthcare and schools especially, but anywhere. How do entities properly prepare for an alternate outcome if only a tiny minority of people (even if they are the best qualified to predict the necessity) even think it's necessary? That's what happened here, and it will happen after Omicron too. People still think they can just run out the clock so any other plans are wasteful and unnecessary.

People call Omicron our best case for ending this while knowing that a virus' best cast scenario is a massive infection wave which provides a greater chance to acquire advantageous mutations. I saw a study this morning that is bringing into doubt the reasons why Omicron spread so fast. It may not be as intrinsically more transmissive than Delta as postulated. It's advantage might very well be predominately from the immune escape. Which does not bode well for Omicron being the final round, given the number of infections and therefore possible mutation opportunities.

But no one will believe it until it happens. Which is not good for preparation.

If everyone is so gung ho about "living with it." That can't mean things like crowd-sourcing a neuro ICU bed via Twitter (which I saw the other night) or transferring pathologists to ICU care, when even other pathologists say their only benefit would be the same as a nursing assistant assistant since their skills have diverged since medical school (another thing I saw on Twitter). If testing is required to obtain paid sick leave benefits, or to make sure that when you show up for your scheduled cruise you aren't denied boarding because your required PCR showed up as positive after you recovered from your recent infection, and who knows what rules your insurance plan will set for covered expenses, you can't declare testing as unnecessary (also, in all this "freedom" why isn't the right to know what you are afflicted with instead of guessing part of it?). Otherwise, "living with it" without any plan for the logistics becomes just like all the other times people said things like "just protect the vulnerable." Empty words to justify doing nothing. (I know the last bits you haven't been advocating for, but goes to the more general "living with it" strategy).

It's not like anyone has been telling people with the power to plan "Can you please continue to do all the necessary thinking about this stuff, so we, the general public can be confident someone is so we don't have to." The free market could have had the things we needed to avoid going into these waves so unprepared, but they thought they were just as unnecessary as anyone else until it became clear how necessary things were. Or since FDA regulations have been up as a legitimate roadblock doing more to make that part of the national conversation (but apparently it wasn't worth the fight.) They aren't going to be the white knight in all of this either, with how loudly everyone else is signaling.

Chip Chipperson

OK, that answers my question. As a treatment for pneumonia, it makes sense. My issue is with people who think antibiotics and anti-parasite medications fight off the virus or prevent viral infection in the first place. The best way to avoid needing treatment is to get vaccinated and wear a mask, but some would rather rely on unproven treatments for some reason. I could certainly understand the hopefulness for potential existing treatments early on when we had no vaccines available and were trying to find anything to curb the damage, but we've had vaccines available for over a year now and people are still acting like they're going to turn us all into mutants.

TrainsOfDisney

It depends how you define "things that get people vaccinated." I support educating people about what the vaccines do and making them easily available at no cost. I also support PTO for a day if the vaccine side effects cause you to be unable to work.

I don't support things which either force people to get vaccinated or essentially force them by not allowing them to be employed without doing it. I believe that, at the end of the day, it should be a personal choice of what you want to have injected into you especially when the efficacy in reducing spread is not very high.

I believe it is the intelligent decision to get vaccinated but I don't believe that I should make that decision for somebody else.
Yes! This!! Exactly this.

Wendy Pleakley

Also not mentioned is that (from what I understand) the test MUST be taken in a country outside Canada. You cannot do a weekend trip and use a test taken in Canada.

Correct, however BC residents can still do short trips under 24 hours for essential goods, unless that has changed.

I'm surprised this new rule that eliminates the option to drive across while positive if able to quarantine hasn't been mentioned in the news.

Jrb1979

Correct, however BC residents can still do short trips under 24 hours for essential goods, unless that has changed.

I'm surprised this new rule that eliminates the option to drive across while positive if able to quarantine hasn't been mentioned in the news.
It was just announced today.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean like constantly being called an “anti-vaxer” for asking a question? Yeah... it gets old! Tell me about it!
I don’t think you’re an “anti-vaxxer”…but the public can’t seem to process the “process” of casting doubt.

I’m a debater by nature…and I hate to say this…but the disinfo vortex is becoming too powerful to Overcome. Gotta keep that door shut.

hopemax

Thank you! That’s about what I would expect. I too would like to see more current data.

The chart I saw from the UK which shows hospitalizations was a very small difference in fully vaxed vs boosted.
Yes, when the benefit from step A is so great, it is hard to demonstrate how important taking step B remains.

But the success of step A is not guaranteed in perpetuity. And we won't know when or how badly step A might have slipped until after we can no longer protect ourselves from whatever demonstrated the failure of step A, by taking step B. So as @sullyinMT said why wait?

These are a few other charts

Iceland (but from early December, so assuming more Delta than Omicron)

Miami Dade hospitalizations

FIvwIaeXIAkResR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom