Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

US govt is telling us, more or less, all of us will be hosting soon.

outside of doing the hermit thing we all get it.

thus, I have no problem with Novak. He already is the greatest tennis player ever and soon he will have more majors than any other on the ATP scene.
Not true - all of us being exposed does not equate to all of us getting it. Intentionally exposing people who don't have a say has never been okay. They made HIV intentional exposures a crime for a reason.

Wendy Pleakley

It was just announced today.

The tweet was from 24 hours ago so it seems like it has flown under the radar.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rule change. Omicron has obviously changed things but it's also a more restrictive rule at a time when most people are vaccinated.

A negative test OR quarantine plan felt reasonable.

correcaminos

I said the US govt, more or less, says we all will be HOSTING very soon. Host means infected as in carrying virus.
I haven't seen that. I've only seen exposed.

"Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody," Dr. Anthony Fauci told J. Stephen Morrison, senior vice president of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "Those who have been vaccinated ... and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death."

DisneyCane

Yes, when the benefit from step A is so great, it is hard to demonstrate how important taking step B remains.

But the success of step A is not guaranteed in perpetuity. And we won't know when or how badly step A might have slipped until after we can no longer protect ourselves from whatever demonstrated the failure of step A, by taking step B. So as @sullyinMT said why wait?

These are a few other charts

Iceland (but from early December, so assuming more Delta than Omicron)

Miami Dade hospitalizations

FIvwIaeXIAkResR

If the "vaccinated with booster" category wasn't extremely low then there would be no point to getting one. The boosters are all very recent so obviously you will have the highest efficacy right now. After 6 months, the "vaccinated with booster" will likely start to look like the "vaccinated" category.

Given the very high vaccination rate in Miami-Dade, this data does show very high efficacy against hospitalization. If you go by the official data, 88% of the population of Miami-Dade is vaccinated. Even if you lower that to 80% to account for vaccine tourism, the efficacy against hospitalization (vaccinated + vaccinated with booster combined) would be 87%.

Again, anybody 5 or older can take a vaccine which lowers the chance of ending up in the hospital if you get COVID by 87% or more (depending on the real vaccinated percentage). Why, again, does anybody who is vaccinated care about the people who choose, for whatever reason, not to be vaccinated? You have protected yourself. There's no reason to worry about anybody else or worry about case numbers or infection numbers.

I'd imagine that if they broke the vaccinated bucket out by age, you'd find that most of the hospitalized who are vaccinated are 60+. Assuming that is the case, anybody under 60 who isn't immunocompromised or at high risk who is vaccinated can stop worrying about anybody else. This should be the message coming from the "powers that be."

correcaminos

you quoted accurately and that is what I'm talking about. pretty much everybody gets it.
That's absolutely not what it means. It means what I said. We're all getting exposed. As stated some will get it and others will not. The vaccinated who get it will be fine almost all the time (a few will not). It does not say we'll all get it or be carriers. Or people wouldn't remain negative while some they live with tested positive.

My daughter in law is on day 6 and is doing fine my son who kissed her slept in the same bed prior to her getting it never got sick and tested negative yesterday. Both vaccinated just the luck of the draw.
Yep though I'm sure there is some reason but we don't know. Not all even unvaccinated will test positive but definitely not all vaccinated will be positive either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's absolutely not what it means. It means what I said. We're all getting exposed. As stated some will get it and others will not. The vaccinated who get it will be fine almost all the time (a few will not). It does not say we'll all get it or be carriers. Or people wouldn't remain negative while some they live with tested positive.

Yep though I'm sure there is some reason but we don't know. Not all even unvaccinated will test positive but definitely not all vaccinated will be positive either.
That’s the next peel on this onion…vaccinated would carry less load/shed less/spread less

Vegas Disney Fan

But your signal that "everything is fine unless proven otherwise" is a signal for for-profit businesses, and government leaders to make the same choice. Which means no testing resources, no mask improvements, discontinuation of COVID sick leave policies, no backup labor plans for healthcare and schools especially, but anywhere. How do entities properly prepare for an alternate outcome if only a tiny minority of people (even if they are the best qualified to predict the necessity) even think it's necessary? That's what happened here, and it will happen after Omicron too. People still think they can just run out the clock so any other plans are wasteful and unnecessary.

People call Omicron our best case for ending this while knowing that a virus' best cast scenario is a massive infection wave which provides a greater chance to acquire advantageous mutations. I saw a study this morning that is bringing into doubt the reasons why Omicron spread so fast. It may not be as intrinsically more transmissive than Delta as postulated. It's advantage might very well be predominately from the immune escape. Which does not bode well for Omicron being the final round, given the number of infections and therefore possible mutation opportunities.

But no one will believe it until it happens. Which is not good for preparation.

If everyone is so gung ho about "living with it." That can't mean things like crowd-sourcing a neuro ICU bed via Twitter (which I saw the other night) or transferring pathologists to ICU care, when even other pathologists say their only benefit would be the same as a nursing assistant assistant since their skills have diverged since medical school (another thing I saw on Twitter). If testing is required to obtain paid sick leave benefits, or to make sure that when you show up for your scheduled cruise you aren't denied boarding because your required PCR showed up as positive after you recovered from your recent infection, and who knows what rules your insurance plan will set for covered expenses, you can't declare testing as unnecessary (also, in all this "freedom" why isn't the right to know what you are afflicted with instead of guessing part of it?). Otherwise, "living with it" without any plan for the logistics becomes just like all the other times people said things like "just protect the vulnerable." Empty words to justify doing nothing. (I know the last bits you haven't been advocating for, but goes to the more general "living with it" strategy).

It's not like anyone has been telling people with the power to plan "Can you please continue to do all the necessary thinking about this stuff, so we, the general public can be confident someone is so we don't have to." The free market could have had the things we needed to avoid going into these waves so unprepared, but they thought they were just as unnecessary as anyone else until it became clear how necessary things were. Or since FDA regulations have been up as a legitimate roadblock doing more to make that part of the national conversation (but apparently it wasn't worth the fight.) They aren't going to be the white knight in all of this either, with how loudly everyone else is signaling.

Where did I say any of those things, including what you “quoted“?

A lot of people have severe anxiety over Covid, including the person I was responding too, it’s unhealthy and doesn’t help them in any way, I’m not seeing how me telling them to focus on the positive can in any way be construed to me telling businesses and the government to not plan for the future.

That may be the furthest reach I’ve seen in 5,000 pages on this thread.

DisneyDebRob

If the "vaccinated with booster" category wasn't extremely low then there would be no point to getting one. The boosters are all very recent so obviously you will have the highest efficacy right now. After 6 months, the "vaccinated with booster" will likely start to look like the "vaccinated" category.

Given the very high vaccination rate in Miami-Dade, this data does show very high efficacy against hospitalization. If you go by the official data, 88% of the population of Miami-Dade is vaccinated. Even if you lower that to 80% to account for vaccine tourism, the efficacy against hospitalization (vaccinated + vaccinated with booster combined) would be 87%.

Again, anybody 5 or older can take a vaccine which lowers the chance of ending up in the hospital if you get COVID by 87% or more (depending on the real vaccinated percentage). Why, again, does anybody who is vaccinated care about the people who choose, for whatever reason, not to be vaccinated? You have protected yourself. There's no reason to worry about anybody else or worry about case numbers or infection numbers.

I'd imagine that if they broke the vaccinated bucket out by age, you'd find that most of the hospitalized who are vaccinated are 60+. Assuming that is the case, anybody under 60 who isn't immunocompromised or at high risk who is vaccinated can stop worrying about anybody else. This should be the message coming from the "powers that be."
The last paragraph has “I’d imagine” and “Assuming that is the case”. I see a lot of that in posts here. You do know what that means. Guesses. With things like COVID the best thing is not to guess. We’ve been here before. Let’s keep collecting data and talking about the best way forward on the facts.

As for the comment “ why does anybody vaccinated care about the people who choose not to be?” You know the answer but choose to believe something else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why has this mocking phrase come up again in here? Because some posters have stated they believe others have a right to choose whether to get vaccinated or not? Or was it because some called out their personal distaste for strict mitigation efforts outside of the vaccine?
It keeps coming up because it always “leaks” back in under thin veils…

and of course is not applicable/incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom