Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

Vaccines do work by keeping people out of the hospital. Of all things that has been done, not enough was done to get people vaccinated. There is no reason the vaccination rate couldn't be higher.

Good idea. Let people do their own thing. If they are sick and want to go out in public so be it, 🙄
Of course the vaccines work. I’ve continuously advocated for them and continue to do so. It was very thinly veiled sarcasm that I didn’t think warranted an emoji or otherwise considering my post history.

If I’m misreading you, my sincere apologies.

mmascari

Erm, watery eyes is an allergy symptom.
For the last year, the personal game of "Allergies or COVID?" hasn't been any fun. It's full of stress and there are no winners.

Especially with the warmer winter weather and change of allergens in the air (helped by a move to a different climate a few years ago). On the flip side, I've either had allergies this whole time or Chlorpheniramine maleate is a secret COVID medication.

correcaminos

You and a few others are missing my point. This time of year in Canada it's highly unlikely to be allergies for one. Two most people can tell when some one is sick. My point is that there is still way to many people who continue to work or go out in public when sick.
Actually I don't think so. My sinuses react to massive temp changes by giving an allergic like reaction. Younreally have no clue who is sick and who is not. I stay home when sick, but today I woke up with itchy eyes and throat. Bloody nose too. Clearing my throat a lot and my nose gets runny because it's dry.

Yes, stay home when sick, but stop acting like you know who is or not. Watery eyes is not indicative of a cold or covid.

For the last year, the personal game of "Allergies or COVID?" hasn't been any fun. It's full of stress and there are no winners.

Especially with the warmer winter weather and change of allergens in the air (helped by a move to a different climate a few years ago). On the flip side, I've either had allergies this whole time or Chlorpheniramine maleate is a secret COVID medication.
I get you, though I have very obvious allergy vs not symptoms for me in most cases. Itchy and watery eyes? I'm golden. Bloody nose? I know what it is. We actually give my cat the med you mentioned for her allergies and I find that one isngood though makes me a hint of foggy head feeling. I should actually take one now that I'm home.

Wendy Pleakley

You and a few others are missing my point. This time of year in Canada it's highly unlikely to be allergies for one. Two most people can tell when some one is sick. My point is that there is still way to many people who continue to work or go out in public when sick.

People also need to consider their own comfort level and the likelihood of encountering sick people in different situations.

I don't expect to encounter sick co-workers if I'm in the office because we have work from home capability and adequate sick leave benefits.

I might consider grocery stores low risk because most people, if sick, can put off shopping for a few days.

WDW? I fully expect people to be there while sick. Very few people are going to isolate in their expensive "value" resort when they've paid thousands of dollars for their vacation.

Chip Chipperson

People also need to consider their own comfort level and the likelihood of encountering sick people in different situations.

I don't expect to encounter sick co-workers if I'm in the office because we have work from home capability and adequate sick leave benefits.

I might consider grocery stores low risk because most people, if sick, can put off shopping for a few days.

WDW? I fully expect people to be there while sick. Very few people are going to isolate in their expensive "value" resort when they've paid thousands of dollars for their vacation.

And that's a shame. I've had 2 occasions where I didn't feel well while visiting WDW (both in the Before Times). Once, my wife and I skipped a DVC Moonlight Magic event at MK, which stung because we were staying at Poly and were looking forward to being able to take the boat back and forth. The other, we were staying at Pop for the first 2 nights of a split stay and started feeling crummy while checking out the food booths for Food & Wine. Not knowing if we were just run down from the travel day and heat or actually starting to come down with something, we took the Skyliner back to the resort and cancelled our dinner reservation for that night. The CM we spoke to on the phone was kind enough to waive the cancellation fee. The next day, we felt 100% so we were happy that we decided to head back to the room for some much-needed rest, regardless of whether we had actually been sick or just a little run down from a busy day.

From a selfish standpoint, it's better to rest for a day or 2 so you can fully enjoy the rest of your stay rather than having every day be a struggle (and then return home feeling even more exhausted than you normally would). From a "greater good" standpoint, staying in your room keeps you from spreading whatever it is you think you might have.

mmascari

cancelled our dinner reservation for that night. The CM we spoke to on the phone was kind enough to waive the cancellation fee.
Sounds like a good lobby for a new WDW "sick day" policy. Let a guest cancel the remainder of the day of a park ticket and all reservations for the day. Waive any cancelation fees along with refunding the park ticket cost (pro rated based on time of day and price difference to one less day ticket cost).

Before someone says people will just do that to get around reservation cancelation fees, by combining it with the park ticket, you would have to be willing to give up the rest of the park day too.

Obviously that's not the entire cost of a day a WDW, so lots will still try to tough through it. But, it might at least encourage people to take a day if sick and stay in their room. They could enhance the offer with free chicken soup room service (minimal cost for a psychological nudge). The current cancelation policy encourages people to go even if sick, since they've got a sunk cost they don't want to forfeit.

Long long ago, I did skip a day once as I felt so bad. Two of four in our group spent the day in isolation feeling horrible.

correcaminos

Though in the cold section of a store, maybe not.

I always expect sick people at WDW. It's why I wash hands frequently. Even a friend kept trying to take their sick kid to the parks. No one else caught it but still. Of course maybe something else was going on but kid was obviously unwell contagious or not

However if we don't feel well, we stay in, but usually it's just us needing a nap, adjusting to different climate or something or me reacting to food I shouldn't eat. Since we go enough, it's not a big deal.

Timmay

Again, assuming someone is sick because that’s how someone may else looked when they get sick doesn’t help. There are several things that can cause coughing, sneezing and watery eyes in winter that don’t have anything to do with a virus. I’m not sure how we can determine there are “way too many people” going out or to work when sick with something communicable.

disneygeek90

Everybody?
Me in Florida who has somehow evaded covid for 2 years:

Avoid Spider Man GIF

LittleBuford

UK government guidance given during a press conference on 20 May 2020:

“You can meet one person outside of your household in an outdoor, public place provided that you stay two metres apart.”

Email sent out that same day to more than 100 members of Downing Street staff, around 40 of whom attended:

“Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!”

Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom