Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

Wow , my friends whose kids go to school in FL, Orange County, have OC teachers and all adults mandatory to wear masks while in school while kids are strongly suggested to wear masks , which they do.
In our schools, mask are required for everyone. On the bus too. Required and use is not the same though. From reports, the kids are good about it at school, not as much on the bus. Lots of noses out on the busses. They say the cafeteria is good, but that's from a kids perspective.

Our county also has a ridiculously high vaccination rate. 84% of total population and 89.5% of age over 5 according to the CDC. We had almost no Delta bump. Last week, county wide, over 5% of students/staff had active positive COVID cases across the entire county school system. Right before they changed the metric to no longer go virtual in a school that's over 5%, which would have been almost all of them.

Makes sense. Omicron is a spreading beast.
That's the truth all right.

A little cross county interactions, a little mistake unrealized exposure someplace, and Bob's your uncle you've passed it on. For instance, holiday gatherings with people from beyond the county at a large scale.

Our kids have started wearing masks for indoor soccer practice in mostly empty buildings again. Along with no spectators. A balance of taking extra mitigations instead of cancelling. There's probably a debate on if it's a good idea or not. Big building, few people, but heavy breathing and some up close contact, and that "mostly" part. There's a risk/reward math in there somewhere, and I like to hope we're on the correct side of it.

On that risk/reward math, combined with "Omicron is so infectious everyone will get it eventually", a recommendation from my wife was "If you're going to catch it, better to do it when not everyone else is also catching it". So plan accordingly as the healthcare utilization numbers crest near 100%.

LittleBuford

What a mess this whole Djokovic debacle is! I've held off posting about it until we knew all the facts. Here are my thoughts:

Djokovic is foolish for his anti-vax views, which are well known and longstanding. It's especially unfortunate given that he is a high-profile athlete whose example many may follow. That said, he followed the requirements asked of him in applying for and securing an exemption, and the Australian authorities should have resolved any ambiguities in their rules before he arrived rather than move the goalposts at the last moment.

One thing I've been wondering: What would he have done had he not contracted the virus in mid-December? I guess Omicron came at a lucky time for him.

Communicora

Premium Member
What a mess this whole Djokovic debacle is! I've held off posting about it until we knew all the facts. Here are my thoughts:

Djokovic is foolish for his anti-vax views, which are well known and longstanding. It's especially unfortunate given that he is a high-profile athlete whose example many may follow. That said, he followed the requirements asked of him in applying for and securing an exemption, and the Australian authorities should have resolved any ambiguities in their rules before he arrived rather than move the goalposts at the last moment.

One thing I've been wondering: What would he have done had he not contracted the virus in mid-December? I guess Omicron came at a lucky time for him.
We probably shouldn't hijack this thread to get into the whole Djokovic debacle.

Ayla

They could cancel his visa for a 2nd time. I hope they do, but it's doubtful.

DisneyCane

Why can't there be a balance? It doesn't have to one or the other.
Because anything that has a significant positive effect on public health harms the economy to some extent.
yeah, give me ALL THE SHOTS. US Covid deaths are more than that from the Civil War. Maybe we need someone like Alexander Gardner to pose some shots for us to get the message across.
The US population was less than 10% of the current population during the civil war. Stats like this are meaningless without context.

mmascari

And unqualified substitutes showing movies to combined classes is a great way to learn?
There's clearly no easy answer.

There is one thing that everyone should be able to agree on. A teacher/student who is positive, with no or mild symptoms can certainly teach or attend class virtually while they cannot do that in person. Someone who is sicker couldn't do either.

At some point, that may be the tipping point that forces us virtual. It'll be the inability to staff classrooms and transportation.

Repeating my kids situation with 2 of 7 teachers out. Presumably, the in school class quality for the 5 classes is currently outweighing the substandard quality of the 2. Very dependent on if they have a sub or not, and if it's a real sub for that class vs just a warm body. I think they have a real one for 3 of 5 days this week for one of them and "study hall" for the last 2 days. Likewise, my other kid doesn't have enough gym teachers to conduct real gym class. Most of us probably agree that gym doesn't translate to virtual well, so this isn't a huge difference if it means better math and English in person.

There's been mixed feedback on changing the the plan to go virtual at 5% to "case by case". Some want virtual now, others never, others in the middle. I think the goal of "case by case" is to evaluate the impact of the 5% along with any tracing of where spread is really happening. To allow a nuanced approach instead of a hard line set at a level that many feel is to low. I don't know the right answer, no matter the choice, someone will be unhappy. Probably lots of someone.

For a more WDW focused version of this. Are we seeing staffing impacts at the parks? Things running at reduced capacity or some attractions closed for staffing issues? Anything where staff is being shifted from one function to another where possible to keep one item open while closing the other? That would be the equivalent park issue to the school staffing problems. I'm sure WDW generally has a larger over capacity staff pool than most schools do, so it would take longer to show an impact.

John park hopper

Because anything that has a significant positive effect on public health harms the economy to some extent.

The US population was less than 10% of the current population during the civil war. Stats like this are meaningless without context.
Exactly 1860 pop 31 million --civil war deaths 750,000.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There's been mixed feedback on changing the the plan to go virtual at 5% to "case by case". Some want virtual now, others never, others in the middle. I think the goal of "case by case" is to evaluate the impact of the 5% along with any tracing of where spread is really happening. To allow a nuanced approach instead of a hard line set at a level that many feel is to low. I don't know the right answer, no matter the choice, someone will be unhappy. Probably lots of someone.
The right answer is to not pre-emptively put an entire school district on virtual. We have seen the data on this already. Handle at a case by case...class by class. Have a plan in place to handle outbreaks when they happen.

Chip Chipperson

Maybe times have changed but when I went to school, the substitute teacher was a qualified teacher.

It might vary by state or even district. Around here, you only need 60 college credits to be a substitute. The only time I ever had a substitute teacher really try to teach a class anything was when my Astronomy teacher was out on maternity leave so we had a permanent sub for the rest of the year. Anything else was just, "Here's a video to watch," or "study time."

mmascari

That's not true.

Public health impacts all by themselves with no action being taken can and do harm the economy too. Sometimes very dramatically.

So, any public health action with less overhead cost than the harmful impact it's eliminating will be positive.

I'll agree that a public health action with more overhead than the cost it's eliminating would cause a net harm. That's just not "anything". It's not an absolute world.

DisneyCane

That's not true.

Public health impacts all by themselves with no action being taken can and do harm the economy too. Sometimes very dramatically.

So, any public health action with less overhead cost than the harmful impact it's eliminating will be positive.

I'll agree that a public health action with more overhead than the cost it's eliminating would cause a net harm. That's just not "anything". It's not an absolute world.
I'm specifically speaking about COVID. In general you are correct.

mmascari

Maybe times have changed but when I went to school, the substitute teacher was a qualified teacher.
The pool of substitute teachers is having all the same issues as the full time teachers.

It's not that all substitutes aren't qualified. It's that there isn't enough of them compared to the demand for substitutes.

It's like if MK had a run of cast members for an attraction out. They can send in filler cast members, then pull cast members from other attractions that don't know as much about this one. If they're just filling relatively generic roles, maybe all they need is a different uniform. But, the more specialized the role, the less depth there is to backfill it with others. Somewhere in the middle, say a generic role where the cast member adds some extra flair that's attraction specific. Perhaps the flair is lost but the position still staffed. In that scenario, the quality is reduced some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom