Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Back from my blood draw. Unless things change, I have one more follow up in July and that's it. Of course if they ask for more, I'll do it but might be end of the road for me with the trial. Crazy to think I started this all 1.5 years ago.

It would be great to know why some get sick and some don't. Sadly we will never know and just have tomdomthe best we can.

Locally substitutes are required a bachelor's degree, a substitute license and then are allowed to apply to work. This year only they removed the college degree requirement. So if you go through the process anyone could teach.

mmascari

I'm specifically speaking about COVID. In general you are correct.
Even with COVID, it'll depend on the specific measure.

The "shut it all down, close everything" like we did in the beginning, doing those again now would likely have a much larger impact than value. Which is part of why nobody is suggesting this. At least nobody setting policy. Clearly some are suggesting it for limited items, not everything.

Other stuff, is much more "it depends".

For example, adding plexiglass everywhere randomly probably costs more than it's worth too. Adding plexiglass in some very specific spots probably does have some value. Identifying which is which is the important part then.

For other mitigations, similar determinations. If the mitigation is cheap enough, even a very small improvement could be worthwhile and create bigger benefit than harm.

AEfx

Maybe times have changed but when I went to school, the substitute teacher was a qualified teacher.
It varies quite a bit from state to state and even locality to locality.

I know where I am, all you need is a generic 2 or 4 year degree in anything to sign up to be a sub. They are more concerned with background checks than education level.

mmascari

The right answer is to not pre-emptively put an entire school district on virtual. We have seen the data on this already. Handle at a case by case...class by class. Have a plan in place to handle outbreaks when they happen.
That's what they were doing. 200+ schools in the district. The original plan was after 5% are out at a specific school, that specific school would go virtual. There were 11 that went virtual the first week back.

Then, 2 days later, they changed the metric for evaluating a specific school. Instead of 5%, it would be based on a "case bay case evaluation" but they didn't say what they're evaluating. Which, for a nuanced approach makes some sense to not have a hard rule. But, they didn't even say what things that nuanced approach would be taking into consideration. One rumor was they changed it to 15%, but just a rumor. Those original 11 are doing 1 week instead of 2 virtual now. That's still a week extra than other schools because the rules changed.

Some people are mad they're not already virtual.
Some people are mad they're even thinking of going virtual.
Almost all are mad that the process of deciding is so opaque and that it seems to keep changing.

They're also trying to proactively do other mitigations instead of virtual. Which mostly has people mad that they were not doing all of those for months already, beyond what they did do. There is a very vocal minority that trashes any mitigation at all too.

Jrb1979

Because anything that has a significant positive effect on public health harms the economy to some extent.
While true to some extent, we also can't just let it rip and let people decide for themselves. Looking at vaccination rate tells you all you need to know. Don't get me started on the amount of people that continue to go out in public when sick. From a few posters saying how many people at Disney they have come across coughing and sneezing. I don't care if you paid 1000's of dollars to see the Mouse, if you're sick stay home or in your room. The days of giving your kid some Tylenol if they have a fever so you can to to the parks have to end.

Timmay

While true to some extent, we also can't just let it rip and let people decide for themselves. Looking at vaccination rate tells you all you need to know. Don't get me started on the amount of people that continue to go out in public when sick. From a few posters saying how many people at Disney they have come across coughing and sneezing. I don't care if you paid 1000's of dollars to see the Mouse, if you're sick stay home or in your room. The days of giving your kid some Tylenol if they have a fever so you can to to the parks have to end.
Coughing or sneezing doesn’t mean you’re sick or have something you can pass on to another person. I myself have a chronic cough from two separate surgeries removing parathyroid glands. I’m pretty much sick and tired of getting comments and dirty looks in public over the last couple of years. Let’s stop judging and assuming.

Jrb1979

So, you’re saying vaccines don’t work and we’re all gonna get COVID anyway? Throw away your masks, pandemic over!

I said about a month ago Portugal would be an interesting case study vs the rest of the western world. Thank you for this follow up.
Vaccines do work by keeping people out of the hospital. Of all things that has been done, not enough was done to get people vaccinated. There is no reason the vaccination rate couldn't be higher.

Coughing or sneezing doesn’t mean you’re sick or have something you can pass on to another person. I myself have a chronic cough from two separate surgeries removing parathyroid glands. I’m pretty much sick and tired of getting comments and dirty looks in public over the last couple of years. Let’s stop judging and assuming.
Good idea. Let people do their own thing. If they are sick and want to go out in public so be it, 🙄

Vegas Disney Fan

I can go all day without coughing and the second I put a mask on I need to cough, I’m not sure why (maybe mental) but it tickles my throat and makes me need to cough, after a couple coughs it goes away but it’s very frustrating.

Jrb1979

I can go all day without coughing and the second I put a mask on I need to cough, I’m not sure why (maybe mental) but it tickles my throat and makes me need to cough, after a couple coughs it goes away but it’s very frustrating.
I can understand that and don't judge people for that. The people I'm talking about are like the ones I saw yesterday who are coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and you can tell are sick. They should be at home.

BigE42984

That's what they were doing. 200+ schools in the district. The original plan was after 5% are out at a specific school, that specific school would go virtual. There were 11 that went virtual the first week back.

Then, 2 days later, they changed the metric for evaluating a specific school. Instead of 5%, it would be based on a "case bay case evaluation" but they didn't say what they're evaluating. Which, for a nuanced approach makes some sense to not have a hard rule. But, they didn't even say what things that nuanced approach would be taking into consideration. One rumor was they changed it to 15%, but just a rumor. Those original 11 are doing 1 week instead of 2 virtual now. That's still a week extra than other schools because the rules changed.

Some people are mad they're not already virtual.
Some people are mad they're even thinking of going virtual.
Almost all are mad that the process of deciding is so opaque and that it seems to keep changing.

They're also trying to proactively do other mitigations instead of virtual. Which mostly has people mad that they were not doing all of those for months already, beyond what they did do. There is a very vocal minority that trashes any mitigation at all too.
I know exactly which school system you're talking about. Only because we're in the same one. It's been a confusing, exhausting week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom