Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

I don't want this forever in the future. What about trains, will they will lose masks forever. At least mask mandate will be lifted for planes, trains and buses soon.

I'm as anti-Fauci as anybody but I dug up the transcript and I don't think he really meant to suggest that they would never be able to be dropped. I think he was talking more short term in response to the Southwest and American CEOs who testified that due to the filtration they don't do much to reduce risk.
KARL: Okay. I also wanted to ask you about what the airline executives said this week about masks on airplanes. They -- several of the top, you know, CEOs of the top airlines said that on an airplane, you are actually safer than you are in an ICU, that the protection with the filtration system they have. They were suggesting there really isn't much of a need for a mask on an airplane.

Are we going to get to the point where we won't have to wear masks on airplanes?

FAUCI: I don't think so. I think when you're dealing with a closed space, even though the filtration is good, that you want to go that extra step when you have people -- you know, you get a flight from Washington to San Francisco, it's well over a five-hour flight. Even though you have a good filtration system, I still believe that masks are a prudent thing to do, and we should be doing it.
It doesn't seem to me that he was responding to "the point" as a point in time but it seemed he responded more to the present situation. He should choose his words better because you can take the words literally and say that Fauci just said that we'll be wearing masks on airplanes for eternity.

To actually answer the question, perhaps the CDC can set up an experiment on an aircraft in flight (so the pressures and everything are accurate) where they output droplets and particles and then have detectors around to see how they build up and are received by others both masked and unmasked. It seems to me that they won't set up and experiment because it has a high likelihood to show that the two CEOs were correct.

Incomudro

The issue isn't that the young and healthy may not die from getting COVID, but that if they do have it, are asymptomatic, they can pass it along to someone who is at a much bigger risk of dying from it. If the young people get vaccinated and then boosted, the chances that they catch COVID are lessened, and then it lessens the chance that they pass it to someone else. I'm not sure why people don't understand this simple point.
Because (most) younger people are not going to care.
You people are old and forget what it was like to be young.
You're seeing this from your old, panicked perspective.
I am old, but do not forget.
There is only a certain portion of younger people you are going to convince to get a shot for the benefit of OTHER people.
I know damned well, that if I were say - 24 - and as healthy as I was then (I'm still healthy, but 58 now) there is now reason I would get a covid shot, just like I wouldn't get any other shot to protect me from something that I had a negligible risk of ill effects or death from.
I never got flu shots back then.
Would I have gotten one if I were told to get one to help the general population, even though I myself were at virtually no risk?
No.
Of course, no one else here will admit that they would have been the same way.
Everyone on here is wonderful.

Wendy Pleakley

Some important nuances for those counting on the pills vs vaccination. Which, I totally don't understand. The studies on the pills and the standard of care they need to meet is so much smaller and lower than on the vaccines. If I'm reading the Pfizer press release right, there were less than 1,000 people in the study. You take the pill for several days so there's a larger build up and clearing of the medication. The Merck one doesn't work as well.

Bonus, If you don't take it within 3 days of symptoms, it's not going to do anything.

It's great to have it. For treating anyone who wasn't vaccinated or a breakthrough case. Having a treatment is certainly better than not having any treatment.

However, the odds are so much better in someone's favor and the risks so much lower to just get vaccinated first.

If someone wanted to bet me an all expense paid WDW trip, a good one super deluxe VIP all the "just buy a better trip" stuff, and the odds that I win were the same as getting vaccinated vs counting on one of these pills to save me, I would take that bet every time. Yet, people are betting their lives or long term issues (which one assumes is worth more than that trip) and they're picking the lower odds one. And they're happy taking the bad odds. 🤷‍♂️

That's just the individual outcomes and completely ignores any of the spread and group impacts.

This is my understanding as well. Most people won't even see symptoms in time to take a pill during that short window.

The pill is not a good alternative to getting vaccinated.

Pills are going to be more useful where vaccines are not readily available yet. Give people with even minor symptoms the pill just in case maybe. It's something at-risk people (i.e. can't get vaccinated or are immune compromises) might be able to keep on hand.

Beyond that, who is it for? People who are afraid of the vaccine should be equally afraid of the pill. Will they even take it? Then again, we live in a world where people won't get the vaccine but will rush to the feed store to take horse medication, so who knows.

Also, should out to everyone here posting rebuttals to all of the anti-vaccine nonsense that continues to be peddled. It's a problem across all social media. We don't know how many people read this forum so it's important to never let misinformation go unchecked.

Vegas Disney Fan

Following in NYC footsteps , no vaccine, no service . Good!
It’s too bad it doesn’t work, we require vaccinations at concerts and it amounts to security glancing at a screenshot of your vax card as they quickly wave you by, my guess is NYC is the same, I doubt businesses are verifying against a photo ID and even if they are they are not equipped to tell a real form from a fake, that’s if they even care in the first place.

Judging by NYCs astronomical rates I’d say it’s not the game changer people hope’d it would be.

Incomudro

I just love the “ plow forward” or the “ let them die” attitudes of some here and around the country.
When did we as a country just abandon ship and give up? We have never done that. Two years is wearing down everyone, I get that but to say.. screw it, I want my burger at the local restaurant without limitations or I want my trip to Disney the way it used to be and to hell with everyone else is just baffling to me.
Get your vaccine, get your booster, keep mitigations such as masks indoors,etc.. get the world vaccinated..and keep looking for better solutions. If not we will be here 10 years from now talking about the next mutation instead of wondering why the Yeti hasn’t been fixed yet. Which for some reason I really miss at this point.
We've abandoned ship when we closed down living.
That's giving up.
We've got vaccines, we've got treatments, and we've got n95 masks - the kind that work.
Two years from our old live's is nothing.
Two years, from preschooler's lives, first grader's, those entering high school, college...
Robbed.
Socialization, development...
All to save our sorry old butts.

Wendy Pleakley

It’s too bad it doesn’t work, we require vaccinations at concerts and it amounts to security glancing at a screenshot of your vax card as they quickly wave you by, my guess is NYC is the same, I doubt businesses are verifying against a photo ID and even if they are they are not equipped to tell a real form from a fake, that’s if they even care in the first place.

Judging by NYCs astronomical rates I’d say it’s not the game changer people hope’d it would be.

It can work.

Our vaccine cards have a QR code which can be scanned to weed out fakes and verify identity.

Many places only did a visual clarification, but in the past week, in response to Omicron, there is a requirement to scan the code at all venues.

It's never going to be perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Heppenheimer

That's giving up.
We've got vaccines, we've got treatments, and we've got n95 masks - the kind that work.
Two years, from preschooler's lives, first grader's, those entering high school, college...
Robbed.
Your levels of compassion and empathy never fail to astound.

Chip Chipperson

There is only a certain portion of younger people you are going to convince to get a shot for the benefit of OTHER people.
I know damned well, that if I were say - 24 - and as healthy as I was then (I'm still healthy, but 58 now) there is now reason I would get a covid shot, just like I wouldn't get any other shot to protect me from something that I had a negligible risk of ill effects or death from.
Would I have gotten one if I were told to get one to help the general population, even though I myself were at virtually no risk?
No.

There is a huge difference between this and the flu. The flu has been around for much longer and kills far fewer people in any given year than COVID-19. It's not some big secret, either - it's been all over the news. Nobody has any excuse for thinking, "Eh, this doesn't seem like a big deal."

DisneyDebRob

That's giving up.
Robbed.
The whole point is a wasted conversation. We are talking about things now. Today. Not a year ago. The world has moved on. Businesses are open. Schools are trying to stay open. We have a vaccine. So putting it all together the fight here by some comes down to one thing and please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t want to wear masks indoors. I could be wrong on reading in between peoples comments but when you can walk into almost anyplace of business again.. can eat indoors again.. kids can go to school..what’s the fight? Masks indoors and the ones saying their vaccinated shouldn’t have to do it. Is that really the fight? I’ve been out eating.. shopping..etc. I put it on and it’s no big deal. Please tell me how “we” should just move on if that’s not the fight because I have along with millions of others.. just with a mask.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
That's their parents fault.
Glad you know me so well that you can make this idiotic statement.
Wow! I'm older than you are, but certainly not panicked about it at all.
Again, that's their parents fault.
My chance of getting Shingles is low, but I certainly got the shots anyway.
So? The flu has nothing to do with COVID.
No.
So admitting that you are selfish, and the world revolves around you. Got it.
Not a chance. I was brought up to respect everyone and all life. We are in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed millions, and if I were still in my 20's with little chance of a serious outcome, I would still get all the shots to help everyone else. This is NOT an individual health issue, but a public health issue.
Not true, but whatever.

lazyboy97o

No.
There’s a difference between admitting one erred and advocating that others err as well. Amazing how you’ll ridicule someone for growing up without proper nutrition but you’ll happily defend someone making a poor health decision that can easily be changed.

Pills are going to be more useful where vaccines are not readily available yet. Give people with even minor symptoms the pill just in case maybe. It's something at-risk people (i.e. can't get vaccinated or are immune compromises) might be able to keep on hand.
The pills are incredibly expensive. They’re not going to go to places without vaccine access.

JoeCamel

That's their parents fault.

Glad you know me so well that you can make this idiotic statement.

Wow! I'm older than you are, but certainly not panicked about it at all.

Again, that's their parents fault.

My chance of getting Shingles is low, but I certainly got the shots anyway.

So? The flu has nothing to do with COVID.

So admitting that you are selfish, and the world revolves around you. Got it.

Not a chance. I was brought up to respect everyone and all life. We are in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed millions, and if I were still in my 20's with little chance of a serious outcome, I would still get all the shots to help everyone else. This is NOT an individual health issue, but a public health issue.

Not true, but whatever.
^^^
Pretty much

mmascari

People play lotto too....
The risk vs reward odds are better with the lotto.

If you buy a $2 ticket every week, the most you'll lose is $104. In return for this loss, you'll get a year's worth of entertainment and a very rare chance that you'll hit it big. The risk is super low, might be equal to the entertainment value. The reward, while super rare, if it happens is an upside.

If we changed the lotto to have more risk, the calculation would change. If say, with every winner they also picked one number as "the loser". Say, "the loser" had to pay $500,000, non dischargeable debt that follows you and your heirs forever until it's paid off as fast as possible even if it drives you into the poor house and homeless to do it. Worse than student loan debt. Just like the winner, the loser is a rare event. Chances are you're not going to be either the winner or the loser.

Would people still play the lotto then?

Would the rare reward of being the winner of millions be enough for people risk the equally rare event of being the loser?

Sounds like it would be a bad game to me. But, that feels like the vaccine game many are playing. Only the chances of losing the COVID lottery are larger than of winning the "not vaccinated and don't catch COVID and don't have any long term (or death) issues". Yet they keep playing it day after day after day.

Vegas Disney Fan

After this much time, is there a difference between being uninformed (or ill-informed) and just making stupid decisions?
I’m starting to wonder? I was just looking at vaccinated data and in every age group fully
vaccinated lags behind one dose by around 10-15%.

Makes me wonder if there’s that many uninformed people that think one dose was all they need. They clearly aren’t anti-vax because they got the first dose, something is preventing them from returning though.

If it was 1-2% I’d say laziness but 10-15% seems more like uninformed.

mmascari

The young and indestructible defense?

That doesn't work out for young drivers frequently either.

My 16 year old, who was 15 when they got vaccinated but 16 now that it's booster time, got the booster right away. All of their still 15 year old friends wish they could get a booster too. Just waiting for each of their birthdays, or booster approval for 12-16.

Not everyone.

Not enough people are using them. Same as always, bunch of slackers in the group.

Robbed.
All the young people I've seen know exactly who is robbing them. I'm sure that's environmental though, the kids of the robbers probably don't think that.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yes. Intelligent people are perfectly capable of making stupid decisions. Dehumanising and belittling those we disagree with only widens the gap, which is the last thing we need.

Humans have a tendency to instantly think anyone who disagrees with their beliefs/decisions/politics must be stupid.

This is a big part of the reason our country is so divided, rather than respecting others viewpoints and trying to find common ground we simply view them as inferior.

That said… not getting a vaccine is stupid. 😉

Jrb1979

It's working here as you have to have a QR code as well as ID to enter. The business can be fined $1000 for not checking proof of vaccination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom