Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

61% of the entire US population is vaccinated. Further the media lies about the unvaccinated. The media reports it is Republicans that aren't vaccinated when
it is actiaually minorities, and specifically those who Vice President Harris told not to trust a Trump vaccine. Now, remember I posted over and over for people to take the vaccine but honestly looking at the science and the complete disaster J&J has been I see no reason for those under 30 to take the shot. The unknown risks of the vaccine are higher than the known risk of Covid19, with the exception of those with underlying conditions. As a person who recovered from Covid19, and a bother who was advised by hos doctor that he couldn't take the vaccine, I understand the risks and rewards of the vaccine. I took 3 shots and so did my wife. I wish everyone would respect those who take the shot and those who don't. However, both groups should accept and respect the others decissions.
Your opinion is misleading. According to KFF Sept 2021 Vaccine Monitor

59% on unvax are Republicans
64% are white
46% have high school education or less

Does that sound like minorities?

Your statement of underlying risks of the vaccine is misleading also. I have friends with NO underlying conditions, contacted covid, in the ICU for a week and survived. One still has issues tasting and smelling.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Tony the Tigger

61% of the entire US population is vaccinated. Further the media lies about the unvaccinated. The media reports it is Republicans that aren't vaccinated when
it is actiaually minorities, and specifically those who Vice President Harris told not to trust a Trump vaccine. Now, remember I posted over and over for people to take the vaccine but honestly looking at the science and the complete disaster J&J has been I see no reason for those under 30 to take the shot. The unknown risks of the vaccine are higher than the known risk of Covid19, with the exception of those with underlying conditions. As a person who recovered from Covid19, and a bother who was advised by hos doctor that he couldn't take the vaccine, I understand the risks and rewards of the vaccine. I took 3 shots and so did my wife. I wish everyone would respect those who take the shot and those who don't. However, both groups should accept and respect the others decissions.
I suggest you get straight which are the lies and which are the facts.

dreday3

Everyone can get Omicron. Accept it.

Vaccinated (and better yet boosted) get it - most likely mild or even asymptomatic
Unvaccinated get it - hospitalization and deaths chances increase by a lot. It's shocking people can't get a grasp on this reasoning yet...

Omicron if everyone would have gotten vaccinated could have been a very mild in severity wave for most. But since so many decided against vaccination, once again they are all going to fill up our hospitals and even quicker this time since it's spreading so fast.

Good job unvaccinated people, way to ruin another season!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Everyone can get Omicron. Accept it.

Vaccinated (and better yet boosted) get it - most likely mild or even asymptomatic
Unvaccinated get it - hospitalization and deaths chances increase by a lot. It's shocking people can't get a grasp on this reasoning yet...

Omicron if everyone would have gotten vaccinated could have been a very mild in severity wave for most. But since so many decided against vaccination, once again they are all going to fill up our hospitals and even quicker this time since it's spreading so fast.

The impact of the Omicron coronavirus variant on a largely unboosted US population going into the holiday season will create a "perfect storm" that will challenge health care systems from coast to coast, an expert said Monday.

Omicron is now the country's most dominant strain less than three weeks after the first case was reported in the US. It accounted for more than 73% of new coronavirus cases in the week ending Saturday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated Monday.

"Even though more people who get it have milder illness, so many more people, overall, will get it that I think we are going to see a real challenge in our health care systems over the course of the next three to eight weeks," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

"And what really is challenging is, on top of that, we can expect 10% to 30% of health care workers to get infected during that time."

The variant will not discriminate by state lines, Osterholm told CNN on Monday.

"Instead of seeing the regional surges we were seeing with Delta -- much of the West right now is very low level with Delta, parts of the South -- I think Omicron is going to be a national viral blizzard," he said.

The first confirmed Omicron-related death in the US was reported Monday. The Texas man in his 50s was unvaccinated, had underlying health conditions and previously had been infected with Covid-19, officials said.

Globally, Omicron cases are doubling every 1.5 to 3 days, the World Health Organization said.

Omicron's far higher transmission levels compared to Delta would lead to a rise in US hospitalizations, Osterholm said.

Nearly 73% of Americans have received at least one vaccine dose, while 61.5% are fully vaccinated and 29.8% of those fully vaccinated have received a booster, according to CDC figures.

People should focus on getting optimal protection from the virus with three doses of vaccine, Osterholm said.

"Right now, we have a lot of people in this country who have bought some protection, but will it be enough to actually avoid serious illness with Omicron? We don't know."

It's concerning that just 30% of vaccinated Americans had received a third dose, as it takes seven to 14 days for immunity to really pick up following a booster shot, Osterholm said.

"Well, that takes us into the New Year. Takes us right through the holiday season and right into the heart of the Omicron, what I call, 'blizzard.' So, it's not looking good. It's a real perfect storm, unfortunately, of events," he said.

President Joe Biden on Tuesday is expected to announce additional steps in the fight against Covid-19, the White House said, but he won't necessarily talk about more restrictions in the face of rising cases.

Biden will announce the purchase of a half-billion at-home rapid Covid-19 tests and a plan to distribute them free to Americans who request them through a website, an administration official said.

The 500 million new tests will be made available next month and will reach Americans through the mail, the official said.

Also among the President's new initiatives is a plan to prepare 1,000 military service members to deploy to overburdened hospitals across the country in January and February, administration officials said. Those service members will include doctors, nurses, medics and other military medical personnel.

States prepare for Omicron​

Some states are already overwhelmed, with Army medical personnel deploying to help fight Covid-19 in Indiana and Wisconsin.

Two 20-person teams will be deployed to assist civilian hospitals in the two states, US Army Northern Command announced Monday.

Meantime, northeast Ohio is in crisis, said Dr. Brook Watts, chief medical officer of community and public health at MetroHealth System in Cleveland.

"I think the health systems, together, said it best this weekend. When we took out a joint ad with all the hospitals in our region and it said one word, it said, 'Help.' It said help because our hospitals are filled with patients with Covid and we're struggling," she told CNN on Monday.

All Americans needed to play their part in the fight against Covid-19, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Monday.

"It has nothing to do with freedom; it has to do with protecting yourself and your family from a potentially deadly disease that has killed already over 800,000 Americans -- but also relinquishing your societal responsibility to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem," Fauci told the National Press Club Headliners Virtual Newsmaker event.

Unvaccinated people face a 10 times greater risk of testing positive and 20 times greater risk of dying from Covid-19 than fully vaccinated people who have also received a booster dose, according to data published recently by the CDC.

Compared to fully vaccinated people yet to receive a third dose, unvaccinated people face a five times greater risk of testing positive for Covid-19 and a 14 times greater risk of dying, according to the CDC assessment of data through October.

Cases have been surging in New York state, which saw a nearly threefold increase in one week, according to data Monday from Gov. Kathy Hochul's administration. And in New York City, officials are working to reinstate extra testing capacity, they said.

In Washington, DC -- which has seen its highest daily coronavirus case count since the start of the pandemic -- the indoor mask mandate was reinstated at 6 a.m. ET Tuesday and will stay in place through January 31, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced.

In Boston, proof of Covid-19 vaccination will be required for indoor dining, fitness venues, theaters and arenas, Mayor Michelle Wu announced. The mandate will apply to patrons and employees and will come online in phases: Single doses of vaccine will be required by January 15, with second doses required by February 15.

How parents can protect their children​

The situation with Omicron is serious "but not dire" for children, Dr. Dimitri Christakis, editor in chief of JAMA Pediatrics, told CNN on Monday.

"From the data we have available so far, it still seems that Omicron doesn't cause serious illness in children, and the good news is that children over 5 can get vaccinated, and vaccination does proffer a significant amount of protection," he said.

But children aged under 5 cannot not yet be vaccinated, and as case numbers go up with the more transmissible variant, so will the numbers of children suffering serious illness, Christakis said.

Last edited:

hopemax

If vaccination results in less hospitalization and death and omicron results in less hospitalization and death, should we not all go out and get omicron
There is not strong evidence that Omicron strongly protects against other variants or vice versa. The number of mutations Omicron carries means immune escape is high. Given how fast its spreading there is concern immune escape is higher than those early lab tests estimated. They are wondering since this is derived from earlier Beta that places which had high Beta waves (South Africa) will experience something different than areas that didn’t (UK).

There is also concern that Omicron is a sort of temporary variant. The number of sub variants they are seeing might mean that it keeps mutating to the point it loses its advantage and reservoir of something else can reassert itself after this blows through. Basically, full Omicron replacement is not guaranteed. It could happen, it could flip back, it could settle into existing in tandem. All are possible.

Infecting everyone with Omicron is not a guarantee to an exit. It’s too different to have confidence in what will happen.

Chip Chipperson

The CDC has been an epic failure on COVID. Their name is Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. With respect to COVID, they have failed at both from day one! At the beginning they couldn't even deliver a COVID test that worked. The CDC has been behind the curve, more so than several other countries, for the entire pandemic. Look at the quality of data and the variant tracking elsewhere and how much better it is.

Before somebody says that it was because of who was in power when the pandemic started, the overwhelming majority of people at the CDC are career people, not political appointees. They were supposed to be preparing for something like this for decades but we get better information about variants from South Africa. I'd imagine that their equivalent agency doesn't have 1/10 the budget of the CDC.

No, not 100%. Some of the problem is people not getting vaccinated. Under 30% of the eligible population is not vaccinated. That isn't anywhere near 100% of the probelm.

That's all well and good, but blaming the CDC ignores the people who have refused to follow any guidelines since March 2020, not just here but worldwide. The only way to stop omicron from getting here was to prevent anyone from entering the country at all, regardless of their citizenship. Anything less allows even a tiny opening for it to get here and spread, which it has. And now the people pushing so hard to "return to normal" want to cast blame for the consequences of getting what they wanted every time there's a new wave or variant that makes its way here. How many times do people need to be told that more spread will result in more variants?

hopemax

Something else no one is going to like… already predictions we will need Fall 2022 boosters and we are going to be facing another round next winter. So plan your holidays accordingly. I wouldn’t be planning on international cruises or flights next year either.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
There is not strong evidence that Omicron strongly protects against other variants or vice versa. The number of mutations Omicron carries means immune escape is high. Given how fast its spreading there is concern immune escape is higher than those early lab tests estimated. They are wondering since this is derived from earlier Beta that places which had high Beta waves (South Africa) will experience something different than areas that didn’t (UK).

There is also concern that Omicron is a sort of temporary variant. The number of sub variants they are seeing might mean that it keeps mutating to the point it loses its advantage and reservoir of something else can reassert itself after this blows through. Basically, full Omicron replacement is not guaranteed. It could happen, it could flip back, it could settle into existing in tandem. All are possible.

Infecting everyone with Omicron is not a guarantee to an exit. It’s too different to have confidence in what will happen.
The pandemic may be ending between next year and 2023.

dreday3

Something else no one is going to like… already predictions we will need Fall 2022 boosters and we are going to be facing another round next winter. So plan your holidays accordingly. I wouldn’t be planning on international cruises or flights next year either.

I'm concentrating on getting through this winter at moment. 😂

I don't care if I need a booster later in the year though. I also predict by next year a LOT of cities will be requiring proof of vaccinations to pretty much do anything...

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

NOOOOOOOO!! I think 2024 that mades the pandemic will be ending soon.
The pandemic will never ending through years....ANOTHER WINTER ROUND NEXT YEAR! We're so close to finished to ending the pandemic soon! @hopemax how long the pandemic will ending as the wave will be minimize by next Winter 2022-2023.

Chip Chipperson

Hopefully the Omicron booster trials are fairly quick since it's essentially just an edit of the existing vaccine. If development and authorization take too long then we'll be on to the next variant before anyone gets their shot.

I'm sure Moderna is aware of this and knows that their efforts may be in vain, but that won't stop the conspiracy theorists from continuing with their nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom