Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

Well the reality is a family from New York that wants to skirt the law would simply need to fly from New York to a connection city in a non-hotspot area and then when they arrive by plane no one knows where the really came from. This is one of those things that sounds nice but only works if everyone does what they should which never happens.

I get your point. But travel is still through airports with airline tickets. Don’t have that with roads.

JoeT63

I don't have much compassion for big business or big banks or Wall Street.
I saw one of those meme thingies the other day (I'm old, work with me here) that said (paraphrasing): "Non-essential: Hedge-fund managers, Oil executives, Bank presidents. Essential: Grocery-store clerks, Pharmacy workers, fast-food employees."

Makes a certain amount of sense, dudnit?!

thomas998

Please be careful...lingering non-productive cough also sounds like pneumonia (says the non-doctor mom of two who had it not too long ago)...you can't see your GP and ask them to check your oxygen sat level?
I've had pneumonia before and it isn't that bad yet. Not even really close, just a kind of constant tickling in my throat that occasionally induces a cough. I've pulled out a stethoscope and haven't heard any crackling yet.

ImperfectPixie

I saw one of those meme thingies the other day (I'm old, work with me here) that said (paraphrasing): "Non-essential: Hedge-fund managers, Oil executives, Bank presidents. Essential: Grocery-store clerks, Pharmacy workers, fast-food employees."

Makes a certain amount of sense, dudnit?!
It does!

LittleBuford

My brother in law is a surgeon, he’s also on an international committee trying to figure out how to limit concussions in football... he will tell you that he practices medicine, because it’s never perfect.

No-one is claiming that experts are infallible. But there's no need for snide scare quotes when speaking of the very people who are doing their utmost to minimise the damage this terrible crisis will cause. Show some respect and gratitude, for goodness' sake.

ImperfectPixie

My brother in law is a surgeon, he’s also on an international committee trying to figure out how to limit concussions in football...So far can’t figure it out. He will tell you that he practices medicine, because it’s never perfect.
Your comment about "practicing" medicine is very true. But the use of quotes does show disrespect to those who are at the top of their fields.

hopemax

I'm trying not to take what is happening today in Congress too seriously. Like the rest of us, they are trying to process what is happening and grieving for the loss of our normal way of life. People everywhere are trying to grasp onto whatever they can to give them a sense of control. For regular people, that means buying toilet paper. For Congress, we get this. But old playbooks aren't going to work for this. Well, maybe the one from the 30s will provide some guidance. I am willing to give them a little, and I mean only a little time, to come to grips with that fact.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This would be a nice time for some senator with a spine to stand up and introduce a simple bill that sends money to the families and nothing else. Just to see which politicians really care about the little guy. They could also put up a bill for each and every industry they wanted to, but do it on its own so people could see if politicians cared about all industries or just the ones in their home state.
Agreed. Money to the people first. I think a second wave of stimulus should come later to bail out strategic industries if needed. We need airlines and if we have any fewer airlines prices go up and certain routes go away. We’ve seen that through mergers and 9/11 over time but if a few go under at once that would be a big problem for business to return to normal. It’s why some countries have government run airlines. Banks need to be kept solvent as well for lending and general economic certainty. In this case hotels and possibly cruise lines could get something too.

I favor either the government just backing loans to keep the companies solvent or giving them money in exchange for an equity stake which will be sold publicly later over time. This keeps the overall costs down but still helps keep companies around and employing people. On the stock price front, the market will recover. People’s 401K and retirement money will recover as we ride the eventual new bull market up. There’s no need to give companies cash to buy shares now. The recovery will come.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Gov. Roy Cooper announced he will sign an executive order to close in-person public instruction at K-12 schools in North Carolina until May 15.

Cooper's order also puts further limits on mass gatherings--limiting crowd sizes to less than 50 people. The order also requires gyms, health clubs, movie theaters, hair and nail salons, barber shops and massage therapists to close by 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Cooper stressed that grocery stores would stay open, as would restaurants providing takeout and delivery.

fradz

How long did it take for it to progress from the when you first noticed it. I've been struck with a lingering cough that produces nothing for almost a week now, and only had a mild fever last night... so nothing exceedingly painful... I would get checked but where I'm at unless you are willing to go to a hospital it just isn't possible... So assumed I had it last Friday when the cough just got worse. Am now wondering how much longer until it gets really bad or it starts to get better. What was your timeline?
From the slight cough until what seems to be the start of the recovery, the timeline was approx. :
Day 1 - slight cough
Day 2 - 3 : coughing little more but nothing crazy (no fever for me, but it seems to be more of an exception than the rule)
Day 4 - 5: Starts to hurt a bit in the lungs
Day 6 - 11: burning lungs, some very mild fever occasionally, sometimes nauseous due to exhaustion
Day 14: exhausted lungs, but it only slightly sligtly burns now.

Don't remember exactly the beginning, but yeah, it took its time..

21stamps

Gov. Roy Cooper announced he will sign an executive order to close in-person public instruction at K-12 schools in North Carolina until May 15.

Cooper's order also puts further limits on mass gatherings--limiting crowd sizes to less than 50 people. The order also requires gyms, health clubs, movie theaters, hair and nail salons, barber shops and massage therapists to close by 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Cooper stressed that grocery stores would stay open, as would restaurants providing takeout and delivery.

Only public schools? He’s letting private make their own decisions? Or is that saying “public instruction” as in simply a group in person?
(I can’t click on the article right now)

ImperfectPixie

WOW...he's late to the party! And 50 people is more than a little excessive!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Banner Health officials are warning the general public after a man died and his wife was hospitalized in critical condition from self-medicating to treat coronavirus.

According to a press release from Banner Health, the product that the couple used was chloroquine, which is a malaria medication that they recommend to not be ingested or used to treat or prevent COVID-19.

The man and his wife, both in their 60s, became sick within 30 minutes of ingesting chloroquine phosophate, and experienced immediate effects requiring hospitalization. Chloroquine phosphate, is an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks.

UNCgolf

Brian Kemp banned most gatherings of 10 or more people unless they can guarantee at least six feet of spacing between all people and instituted a shelter at home policy for "medically fragile" residents for the next two weeks here in Georgia today. He also ordered the closing of bars and nightclubs. Nothing else was ordered to close, but he did give the Department of Public Health the authority to close any businesses or non-profits, including churches, who do not comply with the rules.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Banner Health officials are warning the general public after a man died and his wife was hospitalized in critical condition from self-medicating to treat coronavirus.

According to a press release from Banner Health, the product that the couple used was chloroquine, which is a malaria medication that they recommend to not be ingested or used to treat or prevent COVID-19.

The man and his wife, both in their 60s, became sick within 30 minutes of ingesting chloroquine phosophate, and experienced immediate effects requiring hospitalization. Chloroquine phosphate, is an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks.

I saw a report that it’s become a big problem too in parts of Africa where that drug is much more common to fight malaria. The price has also gone up 400%.

Lilofan

Desantis says in his evening briefing that he will make an executive order tonight that anyone traveling to FL from a "hotspot" (like NY) will be under a mandatory 14 day quarantine/self isolation when they arrive here.
What Florida also needs to be more concerned about is that now a 5TH TSA agent that works at Orlando International Airport that has tested positive for covid19. The TSA agents that the employee worked with are now under isolation. I can't even fathom the thousands of travelers that may have been exposed to all 5 TSA agents that tested positive while working at OIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom