Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

I think as long as they add time to the end or give you a credit back for the time the parks are closed it’s fine. The monthly payments are financing a purchase already made. Otherwise you would need to offer refunds to anyone who already paid upfront.

Luckily my wife and I only hold weekday select passes, so the monthly hit is minimal... but suddenly being in a position myself to have lost a years worth of income to this, I understand the pain. We’re operating under an emergency household budget now, and if I could give Disney back the passes to remove that recurring charge, I would. Every dollar suddenly matters.

durangojim

"On its website, Disney promises to add on more time to its existing passholders’ accounts to make up for the days when the theme parks closed. However, when it comes to payments, people who make monthly installments on their annual plans will continue to be charged, it stated."

“We understand this is an uncertain time for many people and due to the changing nature of this situation, we continue to look at various impacts and how to best meet the needs of our guests,” Disney said in an email when asked to comment for this story.

I have sympathy for him but passholders from out of state don’t have the option to pay over time. I don’t fault disney for not returning the money

Last edited:

natatomic

So results 2nd report of our first day still going to work and DD11 doing Elearning: stuck to the 9am start time, school did YouTube with the principal and 2 staff members for morning announcements ❤. DD used her list of "Did I" questions we made to make sure she doesn't forget something. Assignments, teacher videos, and daily goals took about 4 hours of online access/work. No option to download and disconnect :confused:. Lunch with her at home: actually helped me de-stress and smile getting to hang midday.
20 minute daily reading was saved for last after snack and chores. Reading started at 2:30pm and after goal met let her know it was free time and she could finally turn the TV on. 3:45pm nose still in book, let her know again TV was okay. "One more chapter I promise" come 4:30 she finally put the book away.
Dinner done and I just got ditched watching Brave with her for: "I'm gonna go read"
Heaven help me Scholastic needs to hurry with shipping 🤣
FOUR hours of screen time for school? My son is just in kindergarten, so his work doesn’t take long regardless, but when the teacher told us that we would be doing school from home, I let her know that we limit screen time in our house and would prefer an off-line option. Thankfully, they had a paper packet ready for those who don’t have access to the Internet or who otherwise just didn’t want to use it, like us. Asking students to sit in front of a computer for hours a day is crazy! (Not because they wouldn’t want to be on the computer that long, but because excessive screen time is already a big issue for children - and adults! - these days.)

Timmay

Yup... people say "stocks will come back.." - yes they will, but time will not. That means people planning for retirement will have to save more going forward than they had before. That constrains discretionary spending... for the people that can even afford to restock the savings. Many will simply struggle forward hoping for the best with what was left.. leading to a huge swath of people with financial problems in the future.
The truth is the market always takes the elevator down and the stairs back up. I understand some people may be at the end of their journey with the market in hopes of retirement, but many others aren’t. Stay in.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Colorado’s governor decided not to issue a stay-at-home order. Denver’s mayor just acted on his own.

Playgrounds will be shut down, as will be recreational marijuana shops, liquor stores and breweries. Grocery stores, public transit, child care and restaurants offering takeout and delivery are exempt.

After a rush on liquor and marijuana shops came this afternoon, they have updated the guidelines -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The truth is the market always takes the elevator down and the stairs back up. I understand some people may be at the end of their journey with the market in hopes of retirement, but many others aren’t. Stay in.
If you are close to retirement or already retired you should probably not have much of your retirement savings in stocks anyway, at least not the minimum money you need to live on. Sound financial advise you would get from almost any financial planner. I know in reality some people probably don’t follow this, especially with the temptation of the huge gains in the market leading up to this.

thomas998

From the slight cough until what seems to be the start of the recovery, the timeline was approx. :
Day 1 - slight cough
Day 2 - 3 : coughing little more but nothing crazy (no fever for me, but it seems to be more of an exception than the rule)
Day 4 - 5: Starts to hurt a bit in the lungs
Day 6 - 11: burning lungs, some very mild fever occasionally, sometimes nauseous due to exhaustion
Day 14: exhausted lungs, but it only slightly sligtly burns now.

Don't remember exactly the beginning, but yeah, it took its time..
Well it looks like I should be in the lungs hurting or burning lung phase... fortunately I haven't progressed to that just an off and on headache and cough that is really annoying me to no end. Any deep breath and I start to cough.... Maybe I'm getting a milder version knock on wood.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I didn't want to miss my daily walk today, so after lunch here at home, I hurried to put on a hat and sunglasses to get some exercise around my neighborhood, before the 4pm lockdown.
20200323_170240.jpg

20200323_154136.jpg

Today I was reminded to never take things like the freedom to enjoy a simple walk in the sun for granted. Sometimes we just have to do our part for the greater good, at least, that's the way I'm looking at this.

We are at 19 confirmed virus cases here today. Our initial curfew duration is for 8 days, but that time period could increase depending on how the situation evolves.

Now, time to catch up with you guys, stay informed, and keep each other company on this thread. :)

thomas998

If you are close to retirement or already retired you should probably not have much of your retirement savings in stocks anyway, at least not the minimum money you need to live on. Sound financial advise you would get from almost any financial planner. I know in reality some people probably don’t follow this, especially with the temptation of the huge gains in the market leading up to this.
Problem with most people is they have stocks in a 401K which often has very few options available. Then you tend to forget about it until something like this happens and you suddenly realize you should have done something a long time ago.

At this point the money from a previous employer that I put into an IRA when I left has performed much better and suffered less than the money in my 401K which had such poor options it was almost not worth even caring where it was. If it wasn't for the matching I probably wouldn't have even used it to begin with when I saw what investments you had.

Would be nice if every 401k was setup into a normal IRA type brokerage account so people could take more control of it.

Lilofan

Social distancing if this is a way of life moving forward would be a complete nightmare for the theme parks in all aspects of the business in regards for profitability for Disney and guest satisfaction ( lack of opportunity to wine and dine in areas due to social distancing, less guests allowed in interior and exterior theatres to experience shows ) as examples. Has anyone ever been turned away when the Fantasmic show at DHS reaches full capacity? . It's not pretty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Problem with most people is they have stocks in a 401K which often has very few options available. Then you tend to forget about it until something like this happens and you suddenly realize you should have done something a long time ago.

At this point the money from a previous employer that I put into an IRA when I left has performed much better and suffered less than the money in my 401K which had such poor options it was almost not worth even caring where it was. If it wasn't for the matching I probably wouldn't have even used it to begin with when I saw what investments you had.

Would be nice if every 401k was setup into a normal IRA type brokerage account so people could take more control of it.
True, it depends on the setup and company used. We have Fidelity but they offer the Vanguard funds designed for the year you retire. For example if I want to retire in 20 years I would select the 2040 fund. The fund automatically adjusts between stocks and less risky investments the closer you get to retirement. Takes the work out of having to adjust. I’m 42 and selected my own funds anyway so my 401k took a bath, but I have time to make it up.

Jwink

Social distancing if this is a way of life moving forward would be a complete nightmare for the theme parks in all aspects of the business in regards for profitability for Disney and guest satisfaction ( lack of opportunity to wine and dine in areas due to social distancing, less guests allowed in interior and exterior theatres to experience shows ) as examples. Has anyone ever been turned away when the Fantasmic show at DHS reaches full capacity? . It's not pretty.
Social distancing as a way of life... like forever?!

21stamps

It’s not going to be a way of life.. but hopefully the hand washing and sanitizing stays for those who weren’t doing it prior to this coronavirus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s not going to be a way of life.. but hopefully the hand washing and sanitizing stays for those who weren’t doing it prior to this coronavirus.
Silver lining in all this.
Puerto Rico's Governor says the FAA has agreed to limit commercial flights to the island solely to the San Juan airport. And all travelers who arrive will be ordered to quarantine for 14 days.
Good plan. Those poor people have been through enough in recent history. If they can be spared from a major outbreak of this too that would be a blessing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom