Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Notes from Neverland

I’m a bit in shock at the moment. Not trying to hijack the thread but this is how serious things can become:

View attachment 458114
This is very similar to what parts of the U.S. have been dealing with. It's not as overbearing as it seems, though there's inevitably lots of people here not following it. The other issue with the U.S. is the lack of a unified approach. Some rural areas may escape this entirely, but one town issuing a lockdown and and a neighboring town being more lax can defeat the whole strategy.

ImperfectPixie

DeSantis is explaining why that was a bad idea live right now.

14 day self isolation for all flights from NY or NJ
And this is part of why I don't want the feds to loosen the guidelines. People in general are already being shortsighted...I don't see any reason to give them an excuse to demand lifting closures etc. any earlier than they should be. Trust me...I'm not a fan of any of it, as I've been looking for work since before the virus was even a thing, and now the pool of competition is WAY bigger.

Josh Hendy

I’m in the group where it’s a disaster. We had a ton of debt and now we have medical bills from my daughter’s birth. All we had saved is gone. Back at square one paycheck to paycheck. Does that make us less worth of keeping the home and cars we worked so hard for for years? Just because someone like you shrugs your shoulders at us? 78% of Americans are paycheck to paycheck
I am very sympathetic. Nothing in my post implied that I don't care what happens to people. Let me restate my points as simply and unemotionally as possible.

1) The entire economy will not be "destroyed" which is a word I've seen used on this thread several times. I don't even know what that means ... maybe some kind of stone age where most people live under plastic tarps or something. I don't believe that's going to happen.

2) We will have more or less harsh economic conditions for a period of months to years, which will involve bankruptcies, foreclosures, job losses and other problems.

3) The effects of the economic problems will be more harsh on those with the most debt and the least savings, meaning corporations, governments and individuals. Even with lots of bailouts and assistance, this is the unfortunate truth.

Any moral or value judgements of people and groups who either have or haven't a lot of debt or savings, I leave up to others. Other than saying that if some person or group took on a lot of unnecessary debt, in my opinion that was imprudent and unwise. Is it cruel and heartless to say that?

Jwink

I am very sympathetic. Nothing in my post implied that I don't care what happens to people. Let me restate my points as simply and unemotionally as possible.

1) The entire economy will not be "destroyed" which is a word I've seen used on this thread several times. I don't even know what that means ... maybe some kind of stone age where most people live under plastic tarps or something. I don't believe that's going to happen.

2) We will have more or less harsh economic conditions for a period of months to years, which will involve bankruptcies, foreclosures, job losses and other problems.

3) The effects of the economic problems will be more harsh on those with the most debt and the least savings, meaning corporations, governments and individuals. Even with lots of bailouts and assistance, this is the unfortunate truth.

Any moral or value judgements of people and groups who either have or haven't a lot of debt or savings, I leave up to others. Other than saying that if some person or group took on a lot of unnecessary debt, in my opinion that was imprudent and unwise. Is it cruel and heartless to say that?
I see what you’re saying. In our case it was 6 years of infertility treatment and we finally have her and don’t regret the debt lol. I might regret it in a month or two lol

Shouldigo12

Thanks for showing up for work. Without food we would all eventually die so you are saving lives from a certain point of view. :)

On a lighter note how many people ask you a day when you are getting TP into the store?
Many, many times haha. A lot of people are disappointed when I tell them we get more everyday, but unless they show up within an hour of opening they won't get any.

Virtual Toad

Do you know how many people visit FL driving I-95South?
Especially this time of year. ETA: By not putting more restrictive measures in place, Florida officials are inviting way more problems than they're solving right now. Disappointed Hillsborough County didn't follow the Tampa mayor's recommendation to put a stay-at-home order in place. St. Petersburg may have better luck.

ImperfectPixie

Also, Desantis clarifies that staying with family in Florida "is not self-quarantining".
GOOD!!! I don't have an issue with those who own a vacation home choosing to stay there instead of their primary residence, but visiting family who lives in another state should be a big no-no, and those who DO choose their vacation home as their place to stay for this, should stay put and not be be-bopping back and forth between residences.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Many, many times haha. A lot of people are disappointed when I tell them we get more everyday, but unless they show up within an hour of opening they won't get any.
That’s what I heard too. The one local chain around me is offering 6-7:30am for seniors only and then opens at 7:30 for everyone else so anyone who isn’t a senior is out of luck...pun intended ;)

21stamps

I brought a change of clothes to work today, needed to go for a run on the riverfront to clear my mind.

This is so surreal. Downtown Cincinnati just before 5pm on a Monday. Typically bumper to bumper traffic on the roads and bridge, full bus stop, crowded sidewalks, outdoor areas of restaurants with plenty of people... now this is today, least amount of traffic I’ve seen so far....basically a ghost town besides a few people leaving work or put for exercise...

B9920DFA-E4CD-4B15-8E7C-C03A19008AB1.jpeg
F46615DC-39FD-411B-8A73-B22B2044418F.jpeg
0B41C843-F99B-466C-B04B-59A81EFD8754.jpeg
A2DBFA20-D6CC-4AF4-92B0-6EC88327C671.jpeg
B28B0440-98FE-47A2-8EEA-024B4BE2EC2A.jpeg
C1B46B73-A6E8-43D2-BAD1-9E3022CCEE43.jpeg
24042778-D4EF-40A8-986B-700D463C8EBF.jpeg
C5964072-75BA-4881-87F3-1BFDF2697B9C.jpeg

thomas998

Desantis says in his evening briefing that he will make an executive order tonight that anyone traveling to FL from a "hotspot" (like NY) will be under a mandatory 14 day quarantine/self isolation when they arrive here.
That type of plan will work in a place like Hawaii where everyone is going to arrive by plane... but it is never going to work in Florida unless they set up roadblocks at every road into the state. It does however pretty much mean the same thing as the 14 day quarantine in Hawaii - "tourists stay out"... unless of course there are people out there that want to spend 2 weeks in a hotel room before doing anything else.

ImperfectPixie

I brought a change of clothes to work today, needed to go for a run on the riverfront to clear my mind.

This is so surreal. Downtown Cincinnati just before 5pm on a Monday. Typically bumper to bumper traffic on the roads and bridge, full bus stop, crowded sidewalks, outdoor areas of restaurants with plenty of people... now this is today, least amount of traffic I’ve seen so far....basically a ghost town besides a few people leaving work or put for exercise...

View attachment 458116View attachment 458117View attachment 458118View attachment 458119View attachment 458120View attachment 458121View attachment 458122View attachment 458123
I wish things looked like that in my town...there are a little less people out than a typical Monday afternoon, but the difference is really only noticeable if you look for it.

Rimmit

View attachment 458120
My brother lives in an Apt. just to the left when you get off that bridge in Covington.
Glad to see people are taking it seriously unlike CA and DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom