Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

Pfizer booster shot is claiming 95.6 efficacy. Does anyone know over what time frame? I saw this

One big change: Moderna’s MRNA, 2.04% booster will be half the dose that’s used for the first two shots, based on company data showing that was plenty to rev up immunity.

and this

Pfizer and BioNTech, meanwhile, said early Thursday that a late-stage trial of a 30-milligram booster dose of their COVID-19 vaccine showed efficacy of 95.6% compared with those who received a placebo.

How would those two booster compare to each other?

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Pfizer booster shot is claiming 95.6 efficacy. Does anyone know over what time frame? I saw this

One big change: Moderna’s MRNA, 2.04% booster will be half the dose that’s used for the first two shots, based on company data showing that was plenty to rev up immunity.

and this

Pfizer and BioNTech, meanwhile, said early Thursday that a late-stage trial of a 30-milligram booster dose of their COVID-19 vaccine showed efficacy of 95.6% compared with those who received a placebo.

If I recall correctly, Pfizer's shot was 30 mg and the booster is the same. Moderna's was 100 mg and their booster is 50 mg (some have theorized this higher dose, or the 4-week spacing instead of 3 weeks, is what has led Moderna to be slightly more efficacious than Pfizer).

I don't know the length of time for the Pfizer trial, but the best data so far probably comes from Israel, where they have been giving boosters for a while. This study was over ~2 month period and showed a ~10-fold reduction in cases in the booster group vs. the non-booster (but still vaccinated) group.

DisneyCane

and this

Efficacy against what? Infection, serious illness and/or death.

The big question is how long will they maintain the efficacy after the booster. Hopefully longer than after dose #2.

correcaminos

and this

The 30mg is the same as the original for Pfizer. For Moderna I read 100mg and 50 for the trial.

I'm in that Booster Trial for Pfizer/BioNTech. I'm one of the later entries to the trial from what I understand and I'm 3 months post shot. They are also doing studies in Israel which likely adds to it all.

Flugell

I’m very baffled by the whole thing, all the more so because we Brits have a reputation (apparently undeserved) for following the rules. I would have expected near-100% compliance on public transport.

Stay well and safe.
As I’ve said before I think compliance in the U.K. is variable depending on location. London has been much less willing to conform to the rules since the beginning. I am very much on the side of caution but have just checked the death rates for today.
The U.K., with a population of 67,215,293 (2020) has had an average of 136 deaths per day over the last seven days.
The USA, with a population of 329,484,123 (2020) has had an average of 1,682 deaths per day over the last seven days.
Whilst every death should be mourned and every opportunity taken to avoid it we, in the U.K. appear to be faring much better than the USA.
Our population is roughly 1/5 of yours but allowing for the population difference our average deaths would be 680, 1000 less than the USA per day.
So whilst we are correctly being encouraged/reminded to wear masks, work from home where possible, get the boosters when summoned and to inoculate the teenagers as quickly as possible the death rate is, at least for the moment, not increasing in line with cases and hasn’t shown a massive increase since lock down was lifted.
I am definitely concerned by the increase in cases and hospitalisations and am ultra cautious, my husband is immunocompromised, but don’t feel it is necessary to reintroduce strict lockdown at this moment in time. If the death rate increases more quickly then I would support the reintroduction 100%. The difficulty is finding the appropriate time, too early and people will be resentful and less willing to follow instructions, too late and people needlessly lose their lives. As I’ve said many times l am grateful I don’t have to make that judgment call. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t is the phrase that comes to mind.
Let’s hope we can all stay safe!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

FCQBABhXEAAhJY4.jpg

Mayor Demings says he anticipates a decision next week on the State of Emergency order in Orange County.

LittleBuford

As I’ve said before I think compliance in the U.K. is variable depending on location. London has been much less willing to conform to the rules since the beginning. I am very much on the side of caution but have just checked the death rates for today.
The U.K., with a population of 67,215,293 (2020) has had an average of 136 deaths per day over the last seven days.
The USA, with a population of 329,484,123 (2020) has had an average of 1,682 deaths per day over the last seven days.
Whilst every death should be mourned and every opportunity taken to avoid it we, in the U.K. appear to be faring much better than the USA.
Our population is roughly 1/5 of yours but allowing for the population difference our average deaths would be 680, 1000 less than the USA per day.
So whilst we are correctly being encouraged/reminded to wear masks, work from home where possible, get the boosters when summoned and to inoculate the teenagers as quickly as possible the death rate is, at least for the moment, not increasing in line with cases and hasn’t shown a massive increase since lock down was lifted.
I am definitely concerned by the increase in cases and hospitalisations and am ultra cautious, my husband is immunocompromised, but don’t feel it is necessary to reintroduce strict lockdown at this moment in time. If the death rate increases more quickly then I would support the reintroduction 100%. The difficulty is finding the appropriate time, too early and people will be resentful and less willing to follow instructions, too late and people needlessly lose their lives. As I’ve said many times l am grateful I don’t have to make that judgment call. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t is the phrase that comes to mind.
Let’s hope we can all stay safe!
I didn’t mean to suggest that things are perfect on this side of the Atlantic, because they aren’t. But as a Briton whose entire immediate family is in London, I’m personally more concerned about what’s going on there than with the situation here, especially since things in my neck of the woods are pretty good right now. I don’t feel unsafe here, whereas I would feel unsafe in London. That’s very disappointing and puzzling to me.

I don’t think anyone is calling for the reintroduction of a strict lockdown in England, but I can’t for the life of me understand why the government isn’t at least mandating masks or enforcing their use where they’re already required. It makes no sense to me.

I hope you and your husband remain in good health.

seascape

According to the Miami Herald Florida is now down to an average of 2207 cases a day or 10.28 per 100k. Only an average of 60 cases a day until Florida falls below 10 per 100k.

Tom P.

I am interested to see a study that measures efficacy against actual real world outcomes and not just by measuring antibody levels. I've read some compelling analysis as to why measuring antibodies alone does not give the whole picture of immunity because it leaves out such things as cellular immunity and immune memory. I am still somewhat skeptical of the claim that all of these vaccines are waning in their effectiveness to the degree claimed. And even the FDA and CDC stopped short of greenlighting what the pharmaceutical companies wanted -- boosters for all -- because they did not think the evidence supported it.

Here's one article from an actual well-respected epidemiologist on the subject:

(BTW, I am fully vaccinated and am very much pro-vaccines. I just am not convinced the evidence is all there yet for universal booster shots this soon after the initial doses.)

Tony the Tigger

I am interested to see a study that measures efficacy against actual real world outcomes and not just by measuring antibody levels. I've read some compelling analysis as to why measuring antibodies alone does not give the whole picture of immunity because it leaves out such things as cellular immunity and immune memory. I am still somewhat skeptical of the claim that all of these vaccines are waning in their effectiveness to the degree claimed. And even the FDA and CDC stopped short of greenlighting what the pharmaceutical companies wanted -- boosters for all -- because they did not think the evidence supported it.

Here's one article from an actual well-respected epidemiologist on the subject:

(BTW, I am fully vaccinated and am very much pro-vaccines. I just am not convinced the evidence is all there yet for universal booster shots this soon after the initial doses.)
I’ll be erring on the side of caution and getting my third asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom