Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

Kind of like "the vaccines work so well that the unvaccinated need to get vaccinated to protect the people who have been vaccinated." There are lots of contradictory statements flying around regarding COVID vaccines.
That's not contradictory, it's just math with very large numbers and the impact to even small percentages.

The vaccines have never worked so well that they were a force field of protection. They were never sold that way by anyone either.

Side note, scheduled my booster, as I got the J&J. Getting Pfizer this time, and a flu shot in like 2 hours. For the J&J, the booster is a much easier decision. It was probably always a 2 dose vaccine, like many other vaccines. They just happened to lock in on the single dose because the results were "good enough" and there was lots of value attached to having a 1 dose vaccine. Same reason they're calling it a booster now and not just a second dose, it's more marketing driven. It's more fuzzy with the others if they're more like 3 dose vaccines, or maybe the second dose should have been further apart and 2 would have been fine. It may just be that the second doses were to fast for the best outcome, but that it's still "good enough". I picked Pfizer for the second as it was the easiest to schedule, it's harder to find another J&J. The Pfizer and Flu appointment was available for 3 hours from the time I started to make it and just down the street. As a split vaccine brand household, I'm the only one getting a booster now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We hear about police unions (and other unions, too) resisting vaccine mandate.

It's important to remember, that that is the stance of the union leadership. In almost every case, the majority of the rank and file have already been vaccinated. Which kinda means they'd be OK with a mandate.

This means that the current union leadership doesn't necessarily represent the stance of their members. I don't recall any news reports of union leaders polling their members first before issuing a statement against a vaccine mandate.

Also, for some union leaders, it isn't about the rightness or wrongness of a vaccine mandate, it's about not having a seat at the table in the decision. And for some union leaders, their hesitancy is about the procedure of firing those who don't comply. They're hard-wired to protect every job.

However, if I was in a union and my leadership was against the vaccine mandate, I'd be giving them a piece of my mind and threatening to unseat them in the next union leadership election.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why are we surprised? Cops are people too. And some people refuse to get vaccinated. For better or worse. I also wouldn’t be surprised if more cops are against getting vaccinated than the average person considering the heat they have taken more recently from those at the top. Goes to a lack of trust I imagine. And as others have mentioned, add unions into the mix. But this is where we cross into politics so I’ll leave it at that.

Timmay

Numbers are listed in this article

Yes, exactly. Proving my point. Covid vs. line of duty deaths. Covid vs. officer deaths at any time ( line of duty and not line of duty) is a different story.

None of which negates the fact law enforcement personnel should be getting vaccinated. Unfortunately, current events and unions have brought us to this point. As a side note, I’d be curious to see if sheriff departments are having the same kind of difficulty as police departments are.

Heppenheimer

I don't have time to review it right now, but in case anyone else wants to take a deep dive into a lot of technical data, the FDA has published the results from Pfizer's pediatric vaccine trial that they will discuss next Tuesday:

To download it, click on the first of the "Event Materials" documents.

This is the first real look that the public can see of their experimental methods and hard data. I don't believe Pfizer has yet officially published the trial paper yet, though. If people claim they're "doing their own research", they should start with this document... but they probably won't, because, you know, math is hard.

If all goes well, younger children could start receiving their pokies by the week after next.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

CLEtoWDW

I applaud the UK leaders for making the right decision and not implementing further restrictions. Yes, cases are rising but when you look further at the data:
1) vast majority of cases are occurring in those over 70 and the unvaccinated.
2) cases requiring hospitalization are almost non existent among those under 60 that are vaccinated.
3) deaths are still low compared to previous case spikes

TehPuddingMan

Cops are probably more likely to be in aggressive close contact than many other professions. Some of them get spat upon in the course of their duties.
I don’t know a single officer or deputy that hasn’t either been infected or vaccinated.

I somehow lucked into not catching it, but I’m not exactly sure how.

I had my booster dose last week.

Lilofan

I never said otherwise. Although I do waver on mandates, especially for those with a documented prior infection.
Then for cops who still refuse to get the vaccine, the deaths of police officers will be eventually more than 5x more due to Covid than killed by gunfire quoted by @James J .

Timmay

LittleBuford

I applaud the UK leaders for making the right decision and not implementing further restrictions. Yes, cases are rising but when you look further at the data:
2) cases requiring hospitalization are almost non existent among those under 60 that are vaccinated.
Healthcare professionals—those who actually have to deal with this awful situation—aren’t applauding. Their calls for action should be heeded before things get worse (which they inevitably will if nothing is done).

drizgirl

Nothing to see here. :cautious:

Wendy Pleakley

We hear about police unions (and other unions, too) resisting vaccine mandate.

It's important to remember, that that is the stance of the union leadership. In almost every case, the majority of the rank and file have already been vaccinated. Which kinda means they'd be OK with a mandate.

This means that the current union leadership doesn't necessarily represent the stance of their members. I don't recall any news reports of union leaders polling their members first before issuing a statement against a vaccine mandate.

Also, for some union leaders, it isn't about the rightness or wrongness of a vaccine mandate, it's about not having a seat at the table in the decision. And for some union leaders, their hesitancy is about the procedure of firing those who don't comply. They're hard-wired to protect every job.

However, if I was in a union and my leadership was against the vaccine mandate, I'd be giving them a piece of my mind and threatening to unseat them in the next union leadership election.

I'm in a union and our stance has pretty much been to agree with the vaccine mandate because it supports safe work places.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
UK is quite an interesting case compared to the rest of Europe. Cases right now are comparable to the surge from last winter. But the hospitalizations are not even close. This gives you an idea of how well the vaccine is working to keep people from getting severe COVID, among other things. And I believe deaths remain flat over the last few months and way off the winter numbers. The spike in cases is still an interesting one though and somewhat of an outlier. Probably down to a combination of factors from what I am reading....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom