Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"Destroy the economy" is too strong a word. A ton of foreclosures and even some bank failures and corporate bankruptcies is not the end of the world. It happened in 2008-2009.

Banks, corporations and individuals who are not severely overextended will survive.

Even if a corporation severely overextended itself by borrowing billions of dollars to do stock buybacks (not coincidentally enriching the company executives) ... if the corporation has a strong, profitable business then even if the company is forced into bankruptcy by its creditors (a very normal and routine thing), nearly all of the employees will keep their jobs. To me, Disney is an example of a fundamentally strong company even if they were sucked into the borrow-and-buyback vortex.

If a corporation has too much debt and was never profitable then when it is inevitably forced into bankruptcy, of course most employees' jobs won't survive. Painful but inevitable. It does free resources and money to be re-allocated to "actually profitable" areas however. Examples of "never profitable" companies tend to be the unicorn darlings with cult-like followers that were far, far overvalued based on dreams and hype.

Likewise, municipalities and states that went far into debt with a lot of unsustainable spending policies will be forced to restructure sooner rather than later because of the severe boot to their rear end that Corona is bringing. Whereas other jurisdictions which are run more efficiently will be able to secure enough credit to survive 18 months of reduced tax revenues, and will attract new investment as soon as business revives.

I won't say anything about individuals except that some people have practically zero debt and significant savings, and others have borrowed up the wazoo and saved nothing. For one of those groups Corona is a disaster, for the other group it is a temporary setback.

Sorry your whole analysis is flawed because you completely ignore the most critical thing... REVENUE and where it will be after things recover.

This isn't just about 'having a nest egg' -- It's also about being able to survive in a greatly depressed market afterwards too.

Governments in particular are problematic because they have such a large fixed cost structure... they can't quickly pivot and say "oh, we just won't do transportation anymore..." and add on top of that troubled times bring far greater demand for services. So their costs soar, while revenues plummet. Add into this one where there will certainly be calls for reprieves on taxes and revenues drop even more. The Fed will just print more money... States and Locals don't have that option. They have to issue debt or beg the fed for cheap loans.

Painting this as a 'culling of the weak' is down right foul. This is an unprecedented kind of situation that will have a great depression on the backside of it as well.

durangojim

That's all part of the plan. The experts know that a certain percentage of the population is going to ignore the isolation cautions after two or three weeks. That's the main reason why this isolation is going to last about 12 weeks based upon current estimates. The virus will kill and injure those folks unfortunate enough to break their isolation. Of those folks, eighty percent will recover and twenty percent will have serious problems and/or die. P.S. I saw my daughter today through a plate glass window and I figure that I might be able to see her in the same room sometime this June.
Don’t forget too that in 3-4 weeks there’s going to be a lot of people who will be immune to covid and can renter the work force without restrictions from a medical standpoint.

Phil12

Don’t forget too that in 3-4 weeks there’s going to be a lot of people who will be immune to covid and can renter the work force without restrictions from a medical standpoint.
Yes indeed, but I and my fellow isolation partners will not be among that group. And I'm not about to take anyone at their word that they have immunity. We're in it for the duration.

Incomudro

Whelp, looks like I'll be planning to rope-drop the supermarket...for TP and tissues. Finally got sick of banging my head against the wall and called them, and their advice was to come in at store open at 6am as they re-stock daily, but it's gone in 30 minutes.

I hit my local Shoprite late afternoon a few days ago expecting the meat bins to be wiped out as I keep encountering them.
I was amazed at my luck, that the chicken was being restocked!
I snagged a pack of chicken cutlets and chicken thighs.

Aries1975

There was a report on ABC news that with the fear of covid19, people are afraid to donate blood.
My apologies for the delayed response. This thread is moving way faster than I can possibly keep up. But I did feel this was an important part of the discussion. If you are healthy and have some extra time, please consider scheduling an appointment with your local hospital or blood center. I was able to give blood on Saturday at my local firehouse, before the Governor said all "non-essential" travel. I am in NJ.

Every reasonable procaution was taken for my health and the health of the technicians. My temperature was taken and I directed to sanitizer wipes as I entered the "registration" room. I was asked about travel, exposure to anyone with COVID-19, and how I was feeling "at the door." Forms were place on corners of a long (10 ft±) table. There were "clean pens" to fill out the paperwork and once used I was to put my pen in the "used" bucket.

Chairs were spaced 6-8 ft apart to wait. There were some chairs for couples. My husband was with me. A mother and her teenage daughter were also waiting. Another husband and wife joked that they've been together 30+ years, and could sit separately for an hour.

My ID and forms went into a different room. I imagines to limit exposure to the people working on the laptops. The "mini" physical was performed as usual.

In the room where the blood was drawn, the "beds" were single and spaced 6-8 ft apart. I am sure this was challenging for the technicians who are used to working two "double" set ups. Saturday, their four patients take a wall the length of a fire truck.

I was actively giving blood when the governor's order came. The phlebotomist said this would probably be their last mobile drive for a while. :( People can still schedule appointments to give blood at the hospital. I was told they collected more than 50 pints so far that day.

ImperfectPixie

I hit my local Shoprite late afternoon a few days ago expecting the meat bins to be wiped out as I keep encountering them.
I was amazed at my luck, that the chicken was being restocked!
I snagged a pack of chicken cutlets and chicken thighs.
I'm hoping things are at least beginning to head back to being normal...no TP or tissues, but was able to get thin cut, boneless chicken , ziti (something we haven't seen for two weeks), mac & cheese (yeah, my boys won't touch the home-made kind, it looks too yucky), and our beloved ground Dunkies coffee. All those things are things we haven't been able to find.

JohnD

My apologies for the delayed response. This thread is moving way faster than I can possibly keep up. But I did feel this was an important part of the discussion. If you are healthy and have some extra time, please consider scheduling an appointment with your local hospital or blood center. I was able to give blood on Saturday at my local firehouse, before the Governor said all "non-essential" travel. I am in NJ.

Every reasonable procaution was taken for my health and the health of the technicians. My temperature was taken and I directed to sanitizer wipes as I entered the "registration" room. I was asked about travel, exposure to anyone with COVID-19, and how I was feeling "at the door." Forms were place on corners of a long (10 ft±) table. There were "clean pens" to fill out the paperwork and once used I was to put my pen in the "used" bucket.

Chairs were spaced 6-8 ft apart to wait. There were some chairs for couples. My husband was with me. A mother and her teenage daughter were also waiting. Another husband and wife joked that they've been together 30+ years, and could sit separately for an hour.

My ID and forms went into a different room. I imagines to limit exposure to the people working on the laptops. The "mini" physical was performed as usual.

In the room where the blood was drawn, the "beds" were single and spaced 6-8 ft apart. I am sure this was challenging for the technicians who are used to working two "double" set ups. Saturday, their four patients take a wall the length of a fire truck.

I was actively giving blood when the governor's order came. The phlebotomist said this would probably be their last mobile drive for a while. :( People can still schedule appointments to give blood at the hospital. I was told they collected more than 50 pints so far that day.

I have O+ blood. The local blood bank definitely wants my blood. I'm not afraid to give it. Just haven't gone yet. My church may be organizing a drive in the near future. I can't think of a safer place to be than around health care professionals.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Does any one know what thread has had the most pages here on this site?

This seems to be the largest in this subforum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom