Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the two weeks before the start of government-mandated closures, I noticed I was getting to work faster and when I would go out to lunch the dining rooms were rather sparse. Definitely not business as usual. One mass outbreak linked to popular venue, like Walt Disney World, definitely would have caused a reaction.

I provided some data earlier in the thread. About 16% of the population is aged 65 or older. Then you start adding in all of the other risk factors like heart issues, pulmonary issues, immune system issues, cancer, etc. and you could easily be looking at 25% of the population who are known to be high risk. It's just family who would have to be isolated. A very healthy pulmonologist with a whole family that is low-risk would still have to be part of this isolation because of direct contact with those who are high risk, and not just the doctor but the doctor's entire staff and their dependents. It doesn't seem un reasonable to think that for every high risk person there is at least one unique individual who is either a dependent or care giver. Our high risk only isolation has now ballooned to half the population and this still ignores that those who are low risk are still getting more than just a cough and fever for a few days. An office of healthy young adults is going to be less productive if a nice chunk of them are all out sick for two week increments.
Another thing to consider is the school aspect. It’s easy to say kids are low risk so keep schools open, but that doesn’t consider their families and also the teachers, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc. In addition, once an actual kid or worker in a school was to test positive that school would have to shut down. Even if it stayed open enough people would pull their kids that it would force a closure. So if we just let the disease run rampant a large number of schools would end up shut down for periods of time and that takes out those workers and potentially the student’s parents if they can’t find daycare. It would have a major impact on the overall economy.

21stamps

It depends upon your outlook. You seem to be convinced that the entire economy will be devastated and unable to recover. I look at this economic disruption as a golden opportunity to invest. As the market bottoms out some stocks will be selling at bargain prices. I'm a glass half full guy.
View attachment 458050

View attachment 458052

I’m a realist. If multiple states stay shut down for 15+ weeks, it will be devastating to the economy, of unimaginable proportions. We have never seen such a thing in this country.
Those are just simple facts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We use Skype for Business and don't have an option like that anywhere. Luckily, no one uses the webcam feature. That'd be bad news for everyone. 🤣

Upgrade :p

Microsoft has been pushing everyone to Teams for years and Teams client has this feature. You should only be skype if your business uses on-premise skype or you're using personal not commercial skype :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are 2 kinds of “going to the beach”

Taking a walk along the beach to watch the wildlife, relax, and get fresh air is extremely healthy and has 0 risk.

If people can do that... the beaches can stay open.
Everything outside is OK as long as it doesn’t require you to be within 6 feet of others. The other issue is bathroom facilities are likely closed or should be avoided so it’s hard to go to the beach for the day unless you have a large bladder ;). It just takes a little more planning since facilities are not open.

dizneycrazy09

I’m a realist. If multiple states stay shut down for 15+ weeks, it will be devastating to the economy, of unimaginable proportions. We have never seen such a thing in this country.
Those are just simple facts.

It's like WAPO reported, there's a fine line between keeping people alive and tanking the economy. Plus, I honestly don't think that the US population would stand for 15 weeks of this. People will just stop giving a *bleep* after 2 or 3 weeks.

JohnD

That's an offensive and unnecessary remark.

You were making a political observation. I'm simply pointing you to where you can make political opinion. I don't care that you're offended.
If you didn't like the reference. I didn't coin it. Previous reference here.

Last edited:

ELG13

Not healthcare, but a grocery store. Obviously I'm not out here saving lives, but I'm still considered essential and it's been made to clear to everyone at my store (by the managers) that we're still expected to come in unless we suspect we have the virus. It would be nice if I could take time off for awhile by April 3rd, but I do worry about repurcussions. The union would prevent them from outright firing me, but the managers have become known here for coming up with more creative ways of punishing people for not doing what they want.
My mom and dad are both grocery store employees are they are right in the thick of it. Thank you for what you are doing. Now if only people would chill out. My mom said people are still going crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom