Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

I mean, I'm being smart, social distancing, isolating, and had a WDW trip for this week cancelled. We rescheduled for September, and I'll Wally World the place if I have to in order to get on the ToT.

If the majority of people are following social distancing guidelines, then we should not see a 15 week time span for the bulk of the current shutdowns/modifications.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't really see how letting the virus spread unabated would have led to more long term economic damage

Only if you removed two words from your vocabulary... 'Panic' and 'prejudice'

Normal society would not function when people are worrying about an unknown disease to be caught at any time, anywhere, that has a reputation for being a killer.

What we are doing not will lead us to a place no one knows what it looks like on the otherside... but doing nothing would also lead to a chaotic place people don't want either.

21stamps

Just received this alert on my phone

AB0E21A4-15D0-461F-88A1-A391AFE0D405.jpeg

Anyone else hate to hear the ESPN alerts these days? Never anything good. :(

JohnD

Only if you removed two words from your vocabulary... 'Panic' and 'prejudice'

Normal society would not function when people are worrying about an unknown disease to be caught at any time, anywhere, that has a reputation for being a killer.

What we are doing not will lead us to a place no one knows what it looks like on the otherside... but doing nothing would also lead to a chaotic place people don't want either.

Type that again? It reads like Yoda.

Angel Ariel

whats sad is seeing the empty mall across street from my bank...lots of crows and pidgeons.. no one around. like the opening of the walking dead
The mall here was packed this weekend. As were the cherry blossoms. Many have NOT been paying attention to the restrictions in place. Hence why we now have our governor shutting schools for the remainder of the academic year.

Disstevefan1

If the majority of people are following social distancing guidelines, then we should not see a 15 week time span for the bulk of the current shutdowns/modifications.

There is already talk about re starting the economy depending on what the data says after the 15 day mark in about a week from now....We shouldn’t be talking about 15 weeks, it’s only been about a week now!

There seems to be two sides of the argument.

Side 1, ignore it, let the virus peak out, all the weak will die, and let’s get back to work and more importantly play.

Side 2, shutdown everything till everyone currently infected either recovers or dies.

The real solution is in the middle someplace.

Angel Ariel

Well school sites... still up in the air on what academics are and will be...
Whether it’s e learning or not, my child isn’t going to school, will at best be receiving teletherapy for PT/OT/Speech (which aren’t substitutes for actua professionals working with her hands on), and as long as school sites are closed, my job is on indefinite hold. So, yeah, even sites alone is a big deal for my family.

ImperfectPixie

My mom and dad are both grocery store employees are they are right in the thick of it. Thank you for what you are doing. Now if only people would chill out. My mom said people are still going crazy.
They are here, too.
its 85 sunny and hot here in tampa..love it
just walked to bank to cash a $300 refund check they over charged

got some curry in the fridge from last night...

the heat will kill the virus
Unfortunately, it won't. Virus is running rampant in Australia.

Josh Hendy

"Destroy the economy" is too strong a word. A ton of foreclosures and even some bank failures and corporate bankruptcies is not the end of the world. It happened in 2008-2009.

Banks, corporations and individuals who are not severely overextended will survive.

Even if a corporation severely overextended itself by borrowing billions of dollars to do stock buybacks (not coincidentally enriching the company executives) ... if the corporation has a strong, profitable business then even if the company is forced into bankruptcy by its creditors (a very normal and routine thing), nearly all of the employees will keep their jobs. To me, Disney is an example of a fundamentally strong company even if they were sucked into the borrow-and-buyback vortex.

If a corporation has too much debt and was never profitable then when it is inevitably forced into bankruptcy, of course most employees' jobs won't survive. Painful but inevitable. It does free resources and money to be re-allocated to "actually profitable" areas however. Examples of "never profitable" companies tend to be the unicorn darlings with cult-like followers that were far, far overvalued based on dreams and hype.

Likewise, municipalities and states that went far into debt with a lot of unsustainable spending policies will be forced to restructure sooner rather than later because of the severe boot to their rear end that Corona is bringing. Whereas other jurisdictions which are run more efficiently will be able to secure enough credit to survive 18 months of reduced tax revenues, and will attract new investment as soon as business revives.

I won't say anything about individuals except that some people have practically zero debt and significant savings, and others have borrowed up the wazoo and saved nothing. For one of those groups Corona is a disaster, for the other group it is a temporary setback.

Phil12

I’m a realist. If multiple states stay shut down for 15+ weeks, it will be devastating to the economy, of unimaginable proportions. We have never seen such a thing in this country.
Those are just simple facts.
I too am a realist. A good global economic reset is a good thing. I want to buy a new Toyota Camry and Toyota Financial wants 0.9% to finance a 2020 Camry for 60 months. But since the Federal Reserve lowered the interest rate to 0%, all I have to do is wait a few months until the 0% financing trickles down to me. I always try to look at the bright side of life.

JoeCamel

I too am a realist. A good global economic reset is a good thing. I want to buy a new Toyota Camry and Toyota Financial wants 0.9% to finance a 2020 Camry for 60 months. But since the Federal Reserve lowered the interest rate to 0%, all I have to do is wait a few months until the 0% financing trickles down to me. I always try to look at the bright side of life.
It won't. The 0.9% pays to service the loan. Don't take the service contract either

JohnD

Some good news the number of cases in Italy has gone down for 2 days in a row hopefully they are begining to turn a corner

We're still seeing our cases go up but that's because testing continues to roll out. Personally, I like clarity. Better to know that someone has it then quarantines/seeks treatment, etc. than not take the test, falsely keeping numbers down, while continuing to spread it.

21stamps

From the onset, and every single day after the state and national updates, I grow more concerned for the economy. I am glad that we have a POTUS who sounds like he wants to return to business as usual as quickly as possible... but to do so will require massive federal intervention.. and even with that, not all will be saved.

I am numbers person, and a business person.. it doesn’t require hysteria to see that we are in a downward spiral right now. We just need to reverse course as quickly as we see that it’s ok to do so, even if incremental openings. That’s the only way to stop it. Government checks only do so much, and that money has to come from somewhere... that somewhere could turn into inflation and higher taxes quite quickly if this lasts too long.

IF, a big if, we can see the bulk of the storm pass within 15 days, then I believe we will recover, but it won’t be back to where it was just a few weeks ago.
There is already talk about re starting the economy depending on what the data says after the 15 day mark in about a week from now....We shouldn’t be talking about 15 weeks, it’s only been about a week now!

There seems to be two sides of the argument.

Side 1, ignore it, let the virus peak out, all the weak will die, and let’s get back to work and more importantly play.

Side 2, shutdown everything till everyone currently infected either recovers or dies.

The real solution is in the middle someplace.

My post above, from this morning (and really all of my posts) does not fit either of those categories. I don’t think we’re in 2 groups.. I think we have 3. The third advocating to keep decisions at local levels on what to open and when, work off of a 2 week reassessment plan.

Phil12

It's like WAPO reported, there's a fine line between keeping people alive and tanking the economy. Plus, I honestly don't think that the US population would stand for 15 weeks of this. People will just stop giving a *bleep* after 2 or 3 weeks.
That's all part of the plan. The experts know that a certain percentage of the population is going to ignore the isolation cautions after two or three weeks. That's the main reason why this isolation is going to last about 12 weeks based upon current estimates. The virus will kill and injure those folks unfortunate enough to break their isolation. Of those folks, eighty percent will recover and twenty percent will have serious problems and/or die. P.S. I saw my daughter today through a plate glass window and I figure that I might be able to see her in the same room sometime this June, July ...well perhaps August.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom