Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Pilots are only exposing themselves to each other. That’s a crazy different situation vs. the cabin of an airplane.

Airlines SHOULD be distancing as well. It’s frustrating that only masks are being required when all scientific reports state masks AND distancing help. We need them both.
Given the airflow, filtration, and change out, the situation isn't all that different. Even though the pilots are only exposed to each other for the flight, they fly with other pilots on other flights and days. An infected pilot could potentially infect several other pilots. There haven't been any reports of large numbers of pilots having to isolate and miss work so I can only assume that spread among pilots isn't a frequent occurrence.

This would suggest that in the case of an aircraft, neither masks nor distancing are necessary. An aircraft cabin is closer to an outdoor environment than pretty much any indoor environment outside of a hospital or other medical facility.
Only way to achieve true social distancing on an aircraft is to issue each passenger a bubble suit w individual air tank so each passenger has his / her own personal atmosphere during the duration of the flight. Social distancing on an aircraft! the absolute pinnacle of a joke.

Umm.. no. You block of seats. Just like they did social distancing at Disney parks.
Somebody did an analysis and determined that to achieve 6 foot distancing in an aircraft cabin would end up with something around 20% of capacity.

correcaminos

A quote from that article: "While Moderna is developing vaccine candidates tailored to fight variants including Delta, Hoge said the initial booster would likely be the original formulation of Moderna's vaccine given at half the strength of the first two shots."

I was wondering if the booster would be different since they said that they were working on Delta-specific (and SA-specific, and others) variants of the drug. But those probably pose a higher hurdle to go through for safety.

Hopefully half strength means far fewer side effects, as that will make a 3rd shot easier to deal with.
I know first hand Pfizer is doing a few different angles on boosters as well. Right now the immunocompromised are getting 3rd dose same as the first two for both. I know some in studies doing 3rd but mixing brands. Many at least are coming at it at different angles.

Have a cat that plopped on me so one handed. Here are a few things to read
July 30 and August 1, about 88 percent reported feeling “similar or better” than how they felt after the second shot

I'd agree it was less rapid and less time super sore for me on 3rd dose. All 3 hit same intensity of pain but how quickly it started and stayed bad was different. Over all length of arm soreness time for me was similar. No fever feel at all 3rd dose. Mixed on the other two but never stayed warm enough to know if it was anxiety or not (side effect for me) hope this makes sense

correcaminos

I'm scared in December about different variant, is really gonna MASSIVE surge of a different variant or not....You know, holidays, Christmas and Thanksgiving, I'm afraid federal transportation mask mandate will extend into 2023/2024 as the pandemic will ending for another more years to come...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Different variants is always wins the challenge, as we will have to lock down whole country AGAIN for months....WE WILL NEVER DEFEAT THE PANDEMIC FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT DIFFERENT VARIANT TO BE HAPPEN IN MONTHS.
Tru not to worry. Really. It will not be horrible forever. Most places now are still not awful. We'll get there.

correcaminos

"The number of students in Hillsborough County quarantined or in isolation for COVID-19 exposure has risen to 8,400.

The news comes one day after nearly 400 students tested positive for the virus, according to the Hillsborough County School’s COVID-19 dashboard.

According to the district’s Tuesday update, 8,400 students are currently quarantined or in isolation out of 213,491 total. With 307 school employees quarantined or in isolation out of 23,596 total.

The district is now tracking 1,485 cases dating back to Aug. 2 For comparison, the district reported 8,711 confirmed cases from March 2020 through Aug. 1."

Here's the update for Orange County Public Schools -

"A day after setting a new record for COVID-19 cases, the Orange County school district recorded more than double that number, with 238 new student cases documented Monday.

The region’s largest school district had reported 259 cases last week, including 97 on Friday, surpassing the one-day total of 88 hit in mid-January. Monday’s total smashed Friday’s record.

Orange County Public Schools also reported 159 more student quarantines Monday, along with 53 new COVID-19 cases in staff members. Since Aug. 2, when teachers reported to work and some sports teams began practices, the school district has recorded 903 cases among its students and staff, requiring 552 people to quarantine."

Remember how I was talking about loved ones with kids in quarantine within days of first school? Guess where they are :)

Again my own kid had a quarantine notice before school started. We're lucky he can be vaccinated.

Kevin_W

I know first hand Pfizer is doing a few different angles on boosters as well. Right now the immunocompromised are getting 3rd dose same as the first two for both. I know some in studies doing 3rd but mixing brands. Many at least are coming at it at different angles.

Have a cat that plopped on me so one handed. Here are a few things to read
July 30 and August 1, about 88 percent reported feeling “similar or better” than how they felt after the second shot

I'd agree it was less rapid and less time super sore for me on 3rd dose. All 3 hit same intensity of pain but how quickly it started and stayed bad was different. Over all length of arm soreness time for me was similar. No fever feel at all 3rd dose. Mixed on the other two but never stayed warm enough to know if it was anxiety or not (side effect for me) hope this makes sense
Thanks for the link. 88% and 50 out of 600k seem to contradict each other (and the latter seems unbelievably low), but good to read nonetheless.

correcaminos

Thanks for the link. 88% and 50 out of 600k seem to contradict each other (and the latter seems unbelievably low), but good to read nonetheless.
I agree the 50 out of 600k seems uber low. But point is most should expect lessened I think. There will be outliers of course, but most should be okay.

GimpYancIent

Given the airflow, filtration, and change out, the situation isn't all that different. Even though the pilots are only exposed to each other for the flight, they fly with other pilots on other flights and days. An infected pilot could potentially infect several other pilots. There haven't been any reports of large numbers of pilots having to isolate and miss work so I can only assume that spread among pilots isn't a frequent occurrence.

This would suggest that in the case of an aircraft, neither masks nor distancing are necessary. An aircraft cabin is closer to an outdoor environment than pretty much any indoor environment outside of a hospital or other medical facility.

Somebody did an analysis and determined that to achieve 6 foot distancing in an aircraft cabin would end up with something around 20% of capacity.
Aircraft air filtration is not medical grade. Not utilizing middle seats is laughable. Masks? yep good idea. Keep the pilots secluded in the cockpit away from everyone else excellent idea on many levels. All that said, the air travel industry sees people as monetary resources they can legally treat like livestock. Yes, passengers can be disgusting, poorly behaved and rude, but, if you treat people like livestock guess what! some will behave accordingly. As for health concerns aircraft are no more or less safer than any other form of transportation, except, cruise ships (floating Petri dishes).

GimpYancIent

In most cases, I would guess that aircraft air is better than "medical grade". Both aircraft and hospitals HEPA filters, and airlines mix in outside air (which at 30,000 feet is probably safe from virus). The air turnover rate is probably higher in a commercial aircraft than in most areas of a hospital.
I accept the 30,000 foot air mix concept to refresh the recirculated air plus dilute contaminants, got it, as for the aircraft filters NO.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I hope things will be better by December 2021/January 2022, I can't wait for federal transportation will lift masks by January 18th 2022.

havoc315

Evidence that the effect of vaccines begin to wane after 6-12 months?

Yes, it was the subject of an Israeli study which forms the basis of the Pfizer conclusion. It’s also why the CDC/FDA has said we don’t need boosters YET. (Very few Americans have had their vaccination for under 6 months).

[Important to note, we are just at the start of understanding how long vaccine effectiveness will remain. It requires real world observation — so we won’t truly know whether the vaccine is still effective after 12 months… until it’s been 12 months for millions of people. But so far, evidence does suggest a waning effect against the newer variants]

Saying we may need boosters is not “the sky is falling”— it’s simple acknowledgment of the evolving science and changes in the disease. We’ve always known there was a likelihood that boosters will be necessary.

and yes, there have been huge numbers of reinfection from new variants - it was all over the news - in India and Brazil. Americans seem to only focus on things that are happening here.

“the variant reinfected many who had been infected in the first wave in India.”

I was criticized for this post and it’s content initially, when I dated to suggest immunity wanes and we would need boosters.

And now, it’s become official policy.

Myself and others said we needed vaccine passports/mandates 6 months ago. Now, belatedly, we are starting to see such policies among employers, localities.

Yet, vaccination is still not required for air travel. That would be an easy step.

Masks truly are no longer the solution. We keep reacting to this virus from behind, instead of getting ahead of it.

It’s time for the strictest vaccine mandates that are still compatible with our democracy and laws. It’s time for a plan for boosters and adapting vaccines for years to come, as it’s too late to get rid of covid. Why do we still not have effective national contact tracing. Effective contact tracing is a way to deal with this long term.
And to the extent we still do rely on masks, why doesn’t every American have a supply of N95 masks?

Polkadotdress

A quote from that article: "While Moderna is developing vaccine candidates tailored to fight variants including Delta, Hoge said the initial booster would likely be the original formulation of Moderna's vaccine given at half the strength of the first two shots."

I was wondering if the booster would be different since they said that they were working on Delta-specific (and SA-specific, and others) variants of the drug. But those probably pose a higher hurdle to go through for safety.

Hopefully half strength means far fewer side effects, as that will make a 3rd shot easier to deal with.

OOF! I just had my 3rd Moderna, and got the full strength. Working on my 5G, of course. Also, I have a fairly sizable case of "Covid arm" this time around.

Patcheslee

Apparently some companies are looking into additional insurance premiums for the non vaccinated:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom