Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, it’s pretty much apples to oranges here right now. Last year classrooms were set up for social distancing, masks were mandatory and scores of kids stayed home and participated in “live via Zoom” distance learning. Today absolutely none of those things are in place here and as has been said local districts have been forbidden from mandating anything. We’ve seen many teachers mask and set up their classrooms for social distancing but others go maskless with students’ desks placed together in pods of four face to face.

It can’t be stressed enough that when it comes to FL schools there are absolutely no COVID related rules in place throughout the vast majority of the state. It’s every student and teacher for themselves. A completely different scenario here than it was a year ago.

The prohibition on mask mandates is being sold as "leaving it to parents to determine how to protect their kids", but since masks are primarily to prevent the infected person from spreading the virus, this really means letting other parent decide how to protect your children.

Polkadotdress

I read an op-Ed piece recently that had the following statement, “As a resident of Florida, where COVID-19 is exploding and completely out of control, every day I wake up to see what fresh new hell awaits me”, and while getting my 3rd Covid vax just now, I couldn’t help but feeling a little bit of that “hell” sitting in the chair alongside the grocery store pharmacy, while more than (what seemed) 50% of nearby shoppers were not masked.

The cognitive dissonance between receiving a life-saving drug, surrounded by those who are risking their lives (and mine) was jarring.

#Floriduh

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The first good news from Florida’s COVID-19 numbers in a while: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services data from Saturday released Sunday morning says the state ended two weeks of resetting the record daily for current hospitalizations.

The continuing bad news: COVID-19 patients in intensive care units kept rising and now account for over half the state’s ICU bed usage.

As for the former, after climbing up to 16,100 current hospitalizations on the 14th consecutive day of that number rising, Florida reported 15,985 COVID-19 patients. One fewer hospital reported data, so the average COVID-19 patients per hospital took a baby step back from 62.4 to 62.2.

Nationally, COVID patients account for 10.7% of all hospital patients while they’re 27.7% of all hospital patients in Florida. Florida’s COVID patients are 19.3% of all the COVID-19 patients in the United States.

In Florida’s ICU beds, COVID-19 patients increased by 51 to 3,336. That’s 50.1% of all ICU beds in the state and 16.9% of the nation’s COVID patients in intensive care units."

mmascari

Mine was a simple observation based on the CDC data we were talking about. Based on their table the slope of the curve is not as steep as it was earlier. That’s a fact. I’m not sure why they would update numbers and not adjust the 7 day moving average but it seems to me like they do. If you want to believe the numbers are suspect or wrong you are free to believe that, but remember we have a daily reaction to the new CDC numbers for FL and in the last few weeks those numbers have consistently been adjusted down at a later time not up.
I’m not doubting your observation. I’m sure it’s right without checking it myself, I trust you.

I'm doubting the ability to use the most recent week of data to predict a future next week.

We know they adjust the numbers, and it hasn’t been clear, or I didn’t check, how far back that adjustment goes. Is it 1, 2, or more weeks back. It’s hard to say, the most recent week looks like a slower change than the previous week when we know the most recent week and previous week will likely change. Once we’re, say 4 weeks out, I’m sure we can say see 3 weeks ago was slower than 4 weeks ago. We will just be 3 or 4 weeks ahead by then. It’s like looking at the GDP measure based on data that’s 2 months old. It doesn’t tell you if there was a shock recently, you cannot use it to predict short term only longer term. Which isn’t very helpful for COVID.

it’s great that last week looks like it’s getting worse slower than the week before. Assuming it holds once they update it and it’s not a mirage.

tallica

Mayor Demings has announced a third testing site (Clarcona Elementary School in Apopka) will be opening tomorrow -

Demings also announces Barnett park will no longer be administering vaccines as all vaccination will shift to Camping World Stadium.

Moving it to only Camping World Stadium may actually deter some people from going due to the location. That area is sketchy with a high violent crime rate. Not saying it won't be safe due to police presence, but for many it might be out of their comfort zone.

Lilofan

Moving it to only Camping World Stadium may actually deter some people from going due to the location. That area is sketchy with a high violent crime rate. Not saying it won't be safe due to police presence, but for many it might be out of their comfort zone.
Around Camping World Stadium is inner city Orlando with palm trees just a few blocks from downtown Orlando. It is a bigger location for all to go to.

mmascari

Florida in the beginning of July was reporting double if not triple the rate they are currently. It has slowed substantially. You saw this happen everywhere delta surged. You will see this in places where delta will surge.
Which metric was double or tipple early July vs now?

Certainly not cases.
StateDateNew Cases7-Day Moving Avg7-Day Case Rate per 100K
FloridaAug 13 202125,99121,662706.01
FloridaJul 1 20212,8862,14269.82

Hawaii would disagree with that assessment, given their current situation.
The Hawaii number isn’t really comparable to the FL one.

StateDateNew Cases7-Day Moving Avg7-Day Case Rate per 100K
HawaiiAug 13 20211,149605299.11

Heelz2315

When FDA approval vaccines for kids age 5-11 for this Fall, as next year will be MUCH better than last year, so COVID-19 pandemic will be over by end of the year or early next year, so you should be okay for your trip next spring.;)

I hope you’re right. How did you come up with that timeline though?

Virtual Toad

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

This is false.

No, the COVID-19 vaccine, or any vaccine currently available for that matter, will not turn anyone into a zombie or a vampire.

mf1972

SammyMF

I couple places in that article I had to read twice. There are people that actually believe that..... stuff? Surprised they havent yet flocked to The Stand with its 'super-flu'.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

This is false.

No, the COVID-19 vaccine, or any vaccine currently available for that matter, will not turn anyone into a zombie or a vampire.

I saw this too. Really crazy what people believe…but nothing surprises me anymore.

One comment on this particular story, in the movie the majority of people became essentially zombies and relentlessly chased around the uninfected. If these vaccines really turned the vaccinated into zombies like in the movie I would much rather be in the zombie crowd. No way do I want to spend the rest of my days living in a post apocalyptic world running from zombies, especially when the vast majority of people we depend on like doctors will be zombies. No thanks, just give me the shot and if you don’t take one….look out when I change over I’m coming for you 🧟‍♂️ 🤤

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, it’s pretty much apples to oranges here right now. Last year classrooms were set up for social distancing, masks were mandatory and scores of kids stayed home and participated in “live via Zoom” distance learning. Today absolutely none of those things are in place here and as has been said local districts have been forbidden from mandating anything. We’ve seen many teachers mask and set up their classrooms for social distancing but others go maskless with students’ desks placed together in pods of four face to face.

It can’t be stressed enough that when it comes to FL schools there are absolutely no COVID related rules in place throughout the vast majority of the state. It’s every student and teacher for themselves. A completely different scenario here than it was a year ago.
Yeah, it’s not a great situation. My FIL teaches at a high school on the East Coast of FL and so far he is saying even though it’s not mandated a lot of kids are still wearing masks. Sadly, it’s probably mostly the vaccinated ones and the unvaccinated kids most at risk are not.

Kman

Ok sure if saying that makes you feel better…good for you.

But if you want to be objective you can look at other parts of the world that have locked down and have had onerous restrictions and you would still see the same behavior of the virus.

I mean this same thing has only played out on this thread for the past 18 months…you’d think it get boring by now.

You're the only free country with such a disasterous death rate ( not even considering excess mortality). The US has been an absolute failure when it comes the handling of COVID

JoeCamel

Which, of course, has been far less studied and tested, and has a much more marginal benefit than the vaccine these people refuse to take.
Didn't the last guy get Regeneron when he "had covid"? Or said he did? I still question the timing and recovery from it.

Timmay

You're the only free country with such a disasterous death rate ( not even considering excess mortality). The US has been an absolute failure when it comes the handling of COVID
Can you quantify that? The death rate part?

lisa12000

They really are not - I’m afraid the uk has that distinction as well and we locked down! (Too late) and had a disastrous policy that saw covid infected elderly sent into care homes, we also let school parties head over to italy over February half term which seeded infections all over the country, and a PM who was determined to let it rip until he was told what the death toll will be - there are many other countries that have had a disastrous 18 months so to put this on just the US is wrong! I just feel when everything is behind us there will be very few countries that come out well - spain and Italy and France for example and they’ve had restrictions all along as well so god knows what would have happened if we all hadn’t!!

we are still getting around 90 deaths a day in the uk with a stable 25,000 odd cases which are now as flat as a pancake - we seem to have got ourselves into a state of equilibrium now but it does show that maybe don’t expect numbers to get back down to where they were - I just don’t think that will happen with delta - maybe just look for stabilisation ans a drop off in serious cases - That’s as much as we hope for now really

oh and just to say - our media has moved on, it’s barely mentioned, just passing figures and the latest advice but not discussion or nothing - I’m sure we may see it become a bit more prominent in the media but Afghanistan and the consequences of the last 18 months after far more prominent than the virus itself now here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Knowing how the trials have been working I think really they are going as fast as they can as safe as they can. We had to do adults first, then kids. The dosing for 12-17 is the same as 18+ the dose for 5-11 is different as is for younger ones.

They were starting the teens before we had data from adults. It really just takes time to make sure we have the right balance between safe and effective. With the inflammation fears they absolutely cannot fly ahead without proper testing.

I know it's frustrating for some but I hope 5-11 will be vaccinated fully by end of Oct or Nov
You’re an optimistic…we can’t get that morons over 18 done in 9 months…and they have cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom