Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Florida rate peaked.

...nothing you can do to stop it spreading.

Florida in the beginning of July was reporting double if not triple the rate they are currently.
What sort of alternate universe are you living in???

We had 25,911 cases yesterday, which is an insane record. And hospitalizations are currently breaking records too.

And to stop the spread, there are many things one can do, which collectively would make a difference.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was enjoying my first vacation in a while taking off Friday and Monday when my boss called me on Friday. The coworker that I had been trying to talk into getting vaccinated for MONTHS tested positive, and I was in close contact earlier in the week. Now I need to either have a negative test to come back to the office, or wait until 8/23.

The whole thing is super annoying since I had multiple discussions with her over the past few months, and then it finally happened. I’ve been with fully vaccinated friends all weekend but when I got that call, we pulled to Walgreens for some home tests. So far I’ve taken 3, all negative. I’ll probably get tested at work tomorrow, but I’ll also probably wfh because there’s now been multiple cases in my department.
We had a case in my department at work recently too. The person was in the office and had close contact with multiple people so we have a bunch of people quarantining at home now. When you see companies requiring vaccination it’s not to punish unvaccinated people or take a political stand, there are economic and productivity consequences that can be mostly avoided when everyone is vaccinated.

LaughingGravy

I was enjoying my first vacation in a while taking off Friday and Monday when my boss called me on Friday. The coworker that I had been trying to talk into getting vaccinated for MONTHS tested positive, and I was in close contact earlier in the week. Now I need to either have a negative test to come back to the office, or wait until 8/23.

The whole thing is super annoying since I had multiple discussions with her over the past few months, and then it finally happened. I’ve been with fully vaccinated friends all weekend but when I got that call, we pulled to Walgreens for some home tests. So far I’ve taken 3, all negative. I’ll probably get tested at work tomorrow, but I’ll also probably wfh because there’s now been multiple cases in my department.
Unless you really enjoy working in the office vs home, enjoy having beverages close and your own bathroom as well as the fuel savings in the meantime. ;)

correcaminos

I’m typically a rule followed by nature…

…but I think that maybe this should have been approached differently. But I’m not a doctor and getting pretty “practical” my old age. Kids are resilient and they are vaxxed out the wazoo…once hundreds of millions of adults in various states of disrepair checked out clean early this year…I wonder if there was another way?

that is acceptable to me. Doesn’t seem to be “regulatory urgency” and that more the legal approach than the clinical
Knowing how the trials have been working I think really they are going as fast as they can as safe as they can. We had to do adults first, then kids. The dosing for 12-17 is the same as 18+ the dose for 5-11 is different as is for younger ones.

They were starting the teens before we had data from adults. It really just takes time to make sure we have the right balance between safe and effective. With the inflammation fears they absolutely cannot fly ahead without proper testing.

I know it's frustrating for some but I hope 5-11 will be vaccinated fully by end of Oct or Nov

LaughingGravy

I asked a conservative friend of mine yesterday “so what do you think should be done with hospitals filling up? Nothing?”
Her answer? - “what hospitals are filling up? Show me the data. You’re just repeating what you heard from the liberal media”
Shame on you for not having your stack of papers in hand, LOL.

correcaminos

I think that plateau will be smashed once all the schools open up in late Aug, Sept.
It won't be good for anyone.
Masks and vaccines.....these things take time to come down.
Don't rush to unlock all the provisions that have worked for millions around the globe.
Schools have already started in FL. I have friends with young kids in quarantine already from school.

jlhwdw

New poster here but have spent days going through this thread. Interesting that this Disney fan group is one of the most intelligent sources of information and conversation surrounding Covid that I've found to date. A general thank you to you all for your time and effort.

Which is funny because I think this thread is the most emotional based, least scientifically accurate conversation o COVID I have seen that pits people against each other and has people on the extreme side of both sides. For me this thread is nothing more than a car wreck I can't look away from.

Smooth

If things will getting worse, the pandemic in USA will be MORE LONGER FOR YEARS TO COME AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! It's like a doomsday is coming to end right about now. Then we all gonna die. The end is near folks. There is no way we will defeat the pandemic now.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
When FDA approval vaccines for kids age 5-11 for this Fall, as next year will be MUCH better than last year, so COVID-19 pandemic will be over by end of the year or early next year, so you should be okay for your trip next spring.;)

DisneyDebRob

Which is funny because I think this thread is the most emotional based, least scientifically accurate conversation o COVID I have seen that pits people against each other and has people on the extreme side of both sides. For me this thread is nothing more than a car wreck I can't look away from.
Disagree for the most part. Yes it’s very emotionally based on occasions.. and some get carried away at times.. but we have legit doctors in here which I have learned so much from. We have others who provide science based links that sometimes the average person has a hard time finding. In fact I think, for the most part, it’s is scientifically accurate if you throw out the daily person or two that just comes in and spouts things that have been disproven many times over and over.
A train wreck? Yep on occasion.. but very informative most of the time. And I believe that’s the reason it’s allowed to keep going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Schools have already started in FL. I have friends with young kids in quarantine already from school.
The good news is that last Summer when schools went back in FL is when the cases really dropped off. I don’t know if that was coincidence and it was just the end of the wave or if it was due to less people getting together informally, but there wasn’t a spike from schools opening last year. That being said, I do think more schools probably had mask mandates last year and more kids went virtual as well and delta is more contagious so there’s some potential additional negatives this year that could result in a different (worse) outcome than last year. Stay tuned and hope for the best I guess.

Virtual Toad

The good news is that last Summer when schools went back in FL is when the cases really dropped off. I don’t know if that was coincidence and it was just the end of the wave or if it was due to less people getting together informally, but there wasn’t a spike from schools opening last year. That being said, I do think more schools probably had mask mandates last year and more kids went virtual as well and delta is more contagious so there’s some potential additional negatives this year that could result in a different (worse) outcome than last year. Stay tuned and hope for the best I guess.
Yeah, it’s pretty much apples to oranges here right now. Last year classrooms were set up for social distancing, masks were mandatory and scores of kids stayed home and participated in “live via Zoom” distance learning. Today absolutely none of those things are in place here and as has been said local districts have been forbidden from mandating anything. We’ve seen many teachers mask and set up their classrooms for social distancing but others go maskless with students’ desks placed together in pods of four face to face.

It can’t be stressed enough that when it comes to FL schools there are absolutely no COVID related rules in place throughout the vast majority of the state. It’s every student and teacher for themselves. A completely different scenario here than it was a year ago.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

I have a (bad) feeling colleges are going to be a bigger story this time around, too.

Polkadotdress

When people say “Why does it matter if others are vaxx’d? Their inaction doesn’t effect you.”

Here is a good example of a direct effect of Covid spread: 90 of 205 if the Reedy Creek firefighters are out right now due to Covid and/or quarantine issues. These are people who provide a very important service for society, who now can’t, temporarily.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We have lots of family and friends in Florida from Vero Beach area up to Tampa and they don't have any children in quarantine. Just offering a different perspective.

correcaminos

We have lots of family and friends in Florida from Vero Beach area up to Tampa and they don't have any children in quarantine. Just offering a different perspective.
I wasn't trying to give "perspectives" just that if there are kids exposed in schools they have to quarantine and it took a week for that to happen is since kids cannot be vaccinated. It's bad in Florida and to pretend it isn't and that it isn't going to affect unvaccinated kids is kind of not a smart thing to do IMO.

correcaminos

I hope it does happen... I really do. Just like I hope kids get access to shots soon too. I'd have to ask my loved ones about masks this vs last year. One is making best of the situation with lots of outdoor time.

mf1972

you should’ve seen the political forum before it was shut down, understandably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom