Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyMF

This may be worse than Golden Corral. But we have never seen Happily Ever After because we usually aren’t in the park this lateView attachment 580016View attachment 580017

Damn thats a lot of people packed in like sardines. And that is with 'managed' attendance? So much for social distancing. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures the overall crowd size in the area.

On a different note kinda bugs me that these new 'extra hours' are not available to all disney resorts. Just the more expensive ones.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the Houston Chronicle on it -

"The all-Republican Texas Supreme Court on Sunday temporarily revived Gov. Greg Abbott’s ban on local mask mandates, thwarting attempts by officials in Dallas and Bexar counties to implement COVID-19 restrictions as coronavirus patients strain hospitals.

The justices granted Abbott’s request for an emergency that blocks lower court decisions allowing officials in those counties to require masks in schools or indoor spaces, affirming Abbott’s July 29 executive order that removed local authority over measures to lessen the severity of the pandemic.

Harris County’s similar but separate case is still at the appellate level and is not affected by Sunday’s ruling. A sweeping decision from the Texas Supreme Court, however, could affect Harris and other jurisdictions."

Sunday’s stay is temporary; the court has yet to make a final ruling in the case. The case will continue to be heard in lower courts; Bexar County has a hearing Monday, and Dallas County has a hearing Aug. 24."

“Tex Supreme Court narrowly ruled, staying only the TRO against Gov. Abbott but allowing the temporary injunction hearing to go forward,” Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins tweeted just after the stay posted. “We won’t stop working with parents, doctors, schools, business + others to protect you and intend to win that hearing.”

Officials had hoped their mask mandates would remain in place as thousands of more schoolchildren return to the classroom this week. The counties have argued that under the Texas Disaster Act, which delineates the governor’s powers during a state of emergency, Abbott can suspend only state agencies’ orders, not those of local governmental entities."

More below -

Last edited by a moderator:

correcaminos

We’ve been a pretty catastrophic failure on the whole. I haven’t looked for “comps” for quite some time.

protect your own house.

I think thats an antiquated take on “the kids”…

or maybe I missed something? Is this vax more rough on the system? Has their been any discernible side effects detected?
I think you missed that dosing for kids is different than adults. I stumbled on an article with someone talking about the phase one adult trial. Dosing was too high and it made him go to urgent care at the trial suggestion as well as later on passing out

While not life threatening, no way is this acceptable to do to kids to me. Spoken as a parent too. They need to be careful,

12-17 year olds are different. Many of them are bigger than I am. Dosing for 12-17 is identical to 18+ For a 5 year old who is on average 3'7" and 43 pounds to get the same dose as my 5'7" 130 pound 13 yo could be horrible. While changong dosing they still need to make sure it is effective. A big balancing act.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you missed that dosing for kids is different than adults. I stumbled on an article with someone talking about the phase one adult trial. Dosing was too high and it made him go to urgent care at the trial suggestion as well as later on passing out

While not life threatening, no way is this acceptable to do to kids to me. Spoken as a parent too. They need to be careful,

12-17 year olds are different. Many of them are bigger than I am. Dosing for 12-17 is identical to 18+ For a 5 year old who is on average 3'7" and 43 pounds to get the same dose as my 5'7" 130 pound 13 yo could be horrible. While changong dosing they still need to make sure it is effective. A big balancing act.
Oh I can fully support the research and the “dosing” issue….

but is that really a big hurdle? And if it is…can’t get more people on it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh that???

its a good retraction…but what does it change?

Do we not control nearly all the worlds money and most of the technology??

…how can we justify being so ineffective - including repeating the SAME MISTAKES to be milked for more money/power grabs??

Last edited:

correcaminos

Oh I can fully support the research and the “dosing” issue….

but is that really a big hurdle? And if it is…can’t get more people on it?
That is a decent size hurdle to me, but that's what I feel after asking a whole lot of questions while waiting during my visits. I asked a bunch before we declined the trial for my kid due to time constraints last fall. The impression I got from them was that 12+ would come kind of quickly after adults (they were enrolling before adult FDA approval) but the younger kids would take longer. Everything has to follow the right steps.

We're now at the point that the trials were asked by the FDA for a specific length of time of study to get as much data as possible. We'll have it soon - likely not long after full FDA for Pfizer. Then we have to wait for the review. As much as we want to push, you cannot. Give them 3-4 weeks and then start jabbing away.

It feels like a long time, but tbh it has to be since kid's bodies are not just smaller adult versions. No way we want to rush this.

Angel Ariel

It feels like a long time, but tbh it has to be since kid's bodies are not just smaller adult versions. No way we want to rush this.
No, I don’t want them to rush it - but I don’t want them to sit on it because “Covid doesn’t impact kids” either - which is seemingly how the fda was leaning back in June. I am hopeful that the AAP’s recent request to EUA for 5-11, emphasizing the changes delta has brought to covid’s impact on kids, will help ensure that ages 5-11 have access to a vaccine in a timeline that both ensures safety as well as recognizes the urgency of the need.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, I don’t want them to rush it - but I don’t want them to sit on it because “Covid doesn’t impact kids” either - which is seemingly how the fda was leaning back in June. I am hopeful that the AAP’s recent request to EUA for 5-11, emphasizing the changes delta has brought to covid’s impact on kids, will help ensure that ages 5-11 have access to a vaccine in a timeline that both ensures safety as well as recognizes the urgency of the need.
Yeah…this is my general mindset. Not anything risky…but a bridge between there and “normal” that falls around “urgent” is what I would hope can happen

DisneyCane

JnJ definitely counts. You have to be 2 weeks past your 2nd shot for mRNA or 2 weeks past your only shot with JnJ. In NY they have a a statewide passport system and NYC is also rolling out their own version. You can use the app or show the actual vaccination card to get in. Here‘s a story on NYC

I wish they would break down breakthrough hospitalizations by vaccine. Anecdotal reports suggest a higher than expected share of J&J but real data would be nice to have.

TrainsOfDisney

I wish they would break down breakthrough hospitalizations by vaccine. Anecdotal reports suggest a higher than expected share of J&J but real data would be nice to have.
Articles I’ve read quoting various doctors say that both J&J and Pfizer are showing more breakthroughs compared to Moderna.

I knew I should have trusted Dolly Parton!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah…because 100,000,000 “medical experts” in the hinterlands have definitely proven they can handle that kinda nuanced information.

it’s not a mystery where a big part of the problem is here…and it’s kinda like kindergarten

Timmay

The impact on kids is far more disastrous than a lot of people realize, I think.

lisa12000

Articles I’ve read quoting various doctors say that both J&J and Pfizer are showing more breakthroughs compared to Moderna.

I knew I should have trusted Dolly Parton!!!
I do wonder whether this may not be a case of effectiveness against delta but perhaps that Pfizer’s immunity wanes more quickly than moderna? We are starting to see more breakthrough infections in the earliest cohorts now who were given both Pfizer and AZ - it seems that AZ levels of immunity show slightly less drop off as well and are slightly more robust possibly just due to the type of vaccine and how it works on spike proteins

Touchdown

I do wonder whether this may not be a case of effectiveness against delta but perhaps that Pfizer’s immunity wanes more quickly than moderna? We are starting to see more breakthrough infections in the earliest cohorts now who were given both Pfizer and AZ - it seems that AZ levels of immunity show slightly less drop off as well and are slightly more robust possibly just due to the type of vaccine and how it works on spike proteins
Don’t forget, Modernas shot has 3x the volume of Pfizer. I admit that I cannot find this for sure but, given Modena has more side effects one could assume that you get more mRNA then Pfizer. If that’s true then more spike proteins will be made causing a bigger immune response (explaining the bigger side effects) that perhaps produces a longer acting level of antibodies and T cells. Maybe.

Or because it was approved first and cold storage meant more Pfizer vaccine went to hospitals the people who got Pfizer in this country were older and had more chronic diseases (both known causes of decreased immune response) that you get quicker waning of the immune response. That said, my first thought, seems logical. I just wish I could definitively find out if Moderna did dose higher amounts of mRNA.

correcaminos

They're not sitting on it... what you hear from people is not the same as what those in this process feel. Not sure why anyone thinks they are. With the myocarditis that popped up in 12-17, they cannot risk a repeat. Globally that hurt the process. They don't want that again!

Pushing too fast will be catastrophic if something is missed.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I hope current new wave will be ending soon by October, as the booster vaccines will stop future variants as kids (5-11) will getting vaccinated, as there will be less problems for COVID-19 anymore by end of the year or early 2022. Maybe federal transportation may lift mask mandate for trains, buses and planes maybe between September, October, November or December.

LaughingGravy

Damn thats a lot of people packed in like sardines. And that is with 'managed' attendance? So much for social distancing. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures the overall crowd size in the area.

On a different note kinda bugs me that these new 'extra hours' are not available to all disney resorts. Just the more expensive ones.
That's a lot of people is right, if that's any kind of recent photo. I think I saw one mask.
With that, they've got a lot of nerve calling that reduced capacity needing reservations to get into the park in any form (Covid-Theater), but then again, that can also be seen by any recent livestream recorded and posted on YouTube.

I understand that people are antcy and want vacations, but as cheap as I am, not wanting to lose money on a paid for vacation (i.e. a Travelocity type of package if I did one) there's no way I would be in that kind of crowd to watch a projection show with some fireworks that can easily be viewed from the recordings of others with great technology and nobody except my immediate family nearby.
I would totally be at other attractions while still open.

Watching those shows used to be reasonable. People are just too rude and intrusive on personal space, jumping in front of you and putting their too tall kids on their shoulders after the show has started, it's dark and there's nothing to do about it.

Add Delta to the mix. Unbelievable.

drizgirl

That's a lot of people is right, if that's any kind of recent photo. I think I saw one mask.
With that, they've got a lot of nerve calling that reduced capacity needing reservations to get into the park in any form (Covid-Theater), but then again, that can also be seen by any recent livestream recorded and posted on YouTube.

I understand that people are antcy and want vacations, but as cheap as I am, not wanting to lose money on a paid for vacation (i.e. a Travelocity type of package if I did one) there's no way I would be in that kind of crowd to watch a projection show with some fireworks that can easily be viewed from the recordings of others with great technology and nobody except my immediate family nearby.
I would totally be at other attractions while still open.

Watching those shows used to be reasonable. People are just too rude and intrusive on personal space, jumping in front of you and putting their too tall kids on their shoulders after the show has started, it's dark and there's nothing to do about it.

Add Delta to the mix. Unbelievable.
Just because they are requiring reservations doesn't mean they are limiting attendance in any way. It's just "the new normal".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom