Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mf1972

Cancelled my October trip to WDW due to virus situation. Stuck at home again. Hoping to go next spring when virus subside again.
we’re booked for late october ourselves. waiting to see how things look in early september to see what we’re going to do. we canceled last year too.

Touchdown

And what you ignore is the 14 day change column. Florida rate peaked. Notice the difference between Florida and everywhere else. In 2-3 weeks you’ll have a totally different set of states experiencing this surge. It is just the progression of the virus, nothing you can do to stop it spreading. But of course to some the politics are all that matters…
Unlikely, places around the nation all appear to be slowing as well as much as Florida. We’ll see, until there is an actual decline in cases you can’t say Florida has peaked. Just that appears to be reaching a plateau.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How does the change in reporting method, where they are back filling the CDC dates impact this?

Maybe that’s the new slope, maybe it’ll change up or down next week when this week is updated. Maybe the entire slope last month is wrong too. Have we compared snapshots from different days to see how the back filling changes the slope vs just looking at the current picture?

How does it impact the 7 day averages? Do the recalculate those each time too?

With the change, it feels like any data less than a month old that’s not likely to change again is suspect. Maybe it’s better, maybe it’s really worse and we don’t know yet. I don’t trust any prediction based on looking at the last week or two of data, since all that data is likely to change.
Mine was a simple observation based on the CDC data we were talking about. Based on their table the slope of the curve is not as steep as it was earlier. That’s a fact. I’m not sure why they would update numbers and not adjust the 7 day moving average but it seems to me like they do. If you want to believe the numbers are suspect or wrong you are free to believe that, but remember we have a daily reaction to the new CDC numbers for FL and in the last few weeks those numbers have consistently been adjusted down at a later time not up.
CBAEDA82-9F4E-4E52-B5A5-9F442F6F3DCE.png

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
Unlikely, places around the nation all appear to be slowing as well as much as Florida. We’ll see, until there is an actual decline in cases you can’t say Florida has peaked. Just that appears to be reaching a plateau.
Florida in the beginning of July was reporting double if not triple the rate they are currently. It has slowed substantially. You saw this happen everywhere delta surged. You will see this in places where delta will surge.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
There are things you can do to slow and stop the spread. But... “freedom”
Ok sure if saying that makes you feel better…good for you.

But if you want to be objective you can look at other parts of the world that have locked down and have had onerous restrictions and you would still see the same behavior of the virus.

I mean this same thing has only played out on this thread for the past 18 months…you’d think it get boring by now.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Cancelled my October trip to WDW due to virus situation. Stuck at home again. Hoping to go next spring when virus subside again.
When FDA approval vaccines for kids age 5-11 for this Fall, as next year will be MUCH better than last year, so COVID-19 pandemic will be over by end of the year or early next year, so you should be okay for your trip next spring.;)

DisneyDebRob

Ok sure if saying that makes you feel better…good for you.

But if you want to be objective you can look at other parts of the world that have locked down and have had onerous restrictions and you would still see the same behavior of the virus.

I mean this same thing has only played out on this thread for the past 18 months…you’d think it get boring by now.
And….. here we go again.

Lilofan

The only thing Florida is "in the middle of the pack" is for fully vaccinated.

So, why do they have things so much worse? Probably the lack of other mitigation factors like no mask requirements.

Here are the states ranked by cases per 100k residents. Florida is number 3.

View attachment 579934

Here are the states ranked by hospitalizations per 100k residents. Florida is number one!
View attachment 579935

Here are the states ranked by deaths per 100K. Florida is number 4.

View attachment 579936
Also the more travelers come on vacation in increasing numbers the chances of possible variants are coming with them to support the #1 industry in the Sunshine State.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Also the more travelers come on vacation in increasing numbers the chances of possible variants are coming with them to support the #1 industry in the Sunshine State.
If things will getting worse, the pandemic in USA will be MORE LONGER FOR YEARS TO COME AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! It's like a doomsday is coming to end right about now. Then we all gonna die. The end is near folks. There is no way we will defeat the pandemic now.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

disneygeek90

I was enjoying my first vacation in a while taking off Friday and Monday when my boss called me on Friday. The coworker that I had been trying to talk into getting vaccinated for MONTHS tested positive, and I was in close contact earlier in the week. Now I need to either have a negative test to come back to the office, or wait until 8/23.

The whole thing is super annoying since I had multiple discussions with her over the past few months, and then it finally happened. I’ve been with fully vaccinated friends all weekend but when I got that call, we pulled to Walgreens for some home tests. So far I’ve taken 3, all negative. I’ll probably get tested at work tomorrow, but I’ll also probably wfh because there’s now been multiple cases in my department.

NickMaio

I think that plateau will be smashed once all the schools open up in late Aug, Sept.
It won't be good for anyone.
Masks and vaccines.....these things take time to come down.
Don't rush to unlock all the provisions that have worked for millions around the globe.

LaughingGravy

If things will getting worse, the pandemic in USA will be MORE LONGER FOR YEARS TO COME AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! It's like a doomsday is coming to end right about now. Then we all gonna die. The end is near folks. There is no way we will defeat the pandemic now.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Nah, we'll defeat the pandemic. Cheer up:). Do your part, chin up, encourage others to vaccinate if they haven't and you think there is a hope of convincing them if you can and that's all you can do.
Don't forget to take precautions including hand sanitizer or washing your hands well before coming near your nose and mouth if out and about. It's amazing how many have stopped doing that, and I really think it's a contributing factor.
Granted, a lot of people are going to be in some serious hurt before it's over, and in some parts of the country more than others, but we will defeat it.
I plan on getting to a Disney park again. I just don't know when yet, and that's alright. It may be Tokyo.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I was enjoying my first vacation in a while taking off Friday and Monday when my boss called me on Friday. The coworker that I had been trying to talk into getting vaccinated for MONTHS tested positive, and I was in close contact earlier in the week. Now I need to either have a negative test to come back to the office, or wait until 8/23.

The whole thing is super annoying since I had multiple discussions with her over the past few months, and then it finally happened. I’ve been with fully vaccinated friends all weekend but when I got that call, we pulled to Walgreens for some home tests. So far I’ve taken 3, all negative. I’ll probably get tested at work tomorrow, but I’m I’ll also probably wfh because there’s now been multiple cases in my department.
Wishing you continued negativity
Jack Sparrow GIF by memecandy

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, this exactly. The growth of new cases has slowed, that’s all. We haven‘t seen a peak and we aren’t even in a plateau yet. There’s reason to be cautiously optimistic that the wave could be slowing and there could be a peak soon. Certainly no guarantee of that and the hope is there’s a peak followed by a steep decline down to a more manageable level. If the cases plateau and stay at the 20,000+ cases a day level that’s really not good either with hospitals stretched thin. We need a significant drop first. Before anyone gets triggered, I’m not taking a victory lap, I’m not say delta is defeated. It’s OK to see a possible glimmer of hope and recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom