Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter11435

Short term they won’t raise prices. There will be tons of discounts as they try to draw people back into the parks. It will certainly weed out crowds after re-opening but there likely will be no night shows or parades, certain rides or attractions shuttered and restaurants with tables spread 6 feet so an extreme lack of dining options.
Exactly this. It will be a long time until WDW operations resemble anything close to what we have recently taken for granted.

jt04

My question is once this is all said and done, the parks reopen and things are back to "normal". How much are ticket prices going to go up to help make up for the loss? Will this weed down the crowds like all the ticket hikes hoped?

They will have to make major adjustments. Including what opens and when. This would include both parks and resorts. Some parks may only open a few days per week. Everything will brought back online systematically and prices adjusted with demand. It will take some months. IMO.

TrainsOfDisney

Happens all the time in a state of emergency. Half of CA burned last year and if they told people to evacuate an area they had no choice. You couldn’t keep your bar open. Same with barrier islands in a hurricane. At times of civil unrest there have been curfews and mandatory closures until crowds were dispersed. The only difference between this and those situations is timing. This will last longer. We are going to have a long and difficult recovery from this situation. The courts shouldn’t and won’t be bogged down with frivolous lawsuits.

1. Disneyland never closed for those fires. The entire state, or whole portions of the state did not close.

2. You, nor anyone else except actual Judges get to decide what is a frivolous lawsuit.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They will have to make major adjustments. Including what opens and when. This would include both parks and resorts. Some parks may only open a few days per week. Everything will brought back online systematically and prices adjusted with demand. It will take some months. IMO.

I could easily see a 9am-6pm schedule for the foreseeable future once they open. With the exception of holiday days/weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1. Disneyland never closed for those fires. The entire state, or whole portions of the state did not close.

2. You, nor anyone else except actual Judges get to decide what is a frivolous lawsuit.
Disneyland closed for part of a day for an earthquake last summer.

I absolutely have every right to an opinion. It’s a frivolous lawsuit. What’s the goal for an outcome? Some financial windfall? So the federal or state government has to pay every business shut down for all lost money?

thomas998

Yup - and that's the problem - with no specific stated goal of what we are accomplishing besides meaningless platitudes like "flattening the curve", we will for the first time in history voluntarily destroy our economy and then be left with debating what we accomplished.

It's a continuation of the hysterical "We need to do something for something!!!" mentality. Because we assuredly did indeed do "something" (intentionally destroy the economy), we will feel vindicated when the outcome was "something" (TBD). When there is no defined specific goal, every outcome, regardless of the cost, will be spun as a success.

The definition of madness.
The worst part is we didn't even really do anything that really had a chance to stop it. Closing schools happened first... but at the same time airports, buses and trains were left alone. So what exactly was closing schools supposed to even do? It was like worrying about your electric bill so you made sure to turn off the light in the garage but left every other light in the house turned on. Each time they have done something it isn't proactive it is always reactive and too late to really do anything beyond allow them to say we did something. And the flattening the curve nonsense is very annoying because it makes assumptions that are not proven true and are all based on assumptions that are based on incomplete data. Sure it would be nice if flattening the curve so that no one that ever needed a hospital could get access when they did need it... but that's pretty much proven to be a pipedream in New York alone. So flattening the curve which pretty much implied that everyone was going to be infected and we just want it to happen at a slower rate isn't going to work. Which means we would have been just as well doing absolutely nothing and letting it peak as soon as possible, or actually trying to eliminate it by a complete lockdown of all airports in January... but now what have we accomplished? Everyone will be infected, hospitals will still collapse at some point and the economy has been nuked.

tnemgif

From NPR: FDA Approves First Rapid COVID-19 Test

Rapid testing changed the game for HIV screening and preventing transmission. While it’s a stretch, I wonder how rapid testing could be used to screen people before flying or visiting high-density areas such as theme parks and arenas. It may be a pipe dream, but I think there’s some positivity to be celebrated this morning.

DisneyDebRob

That’s a false dilemma.

I’m not saying preserving life isn’t important. I’m saying that to reach a defined outcome successfully there has to be a very defined goal or set of goals. “Our goal is to decrease the number of deaths by X amount by X date by doing X and X.” That’s an outcome defined with goals.
Take care and get well soon!

HongKongFooy

The orders on lockdowns, business closings and activities allowed in public have all been made and issued by the States and are therefore in compliance with the US Constitution.

Your conclusion looks faulty based on your lead up.

That pesky little thing called the 14th Amendment extends the Bill of Rights to states. US courts will apply a full incorporationist theory and strike down any state action violating our civil liberties and civil rights.

Reserved powers granted to states have limitations: all state behaviors must be congruent with our basic charter.

The way you wrote your passage looks as if ""because a state does it it is square with the US Const.""

thomas998

In the beginning they could even stagger park openings. Like having only 2 or 3 parks open a day midweek. Or maybe each park is closed one day a week with Fri/Sat/Sun having all 4 open.
With the parks being closed for a long time, I wonder whether wildlife will start trying to take over, or if Disney will be paying some employees to try and keep the place semi-ready. Gators and snakes have been found when the park was operating so now that no people are around all the time to create noise to keep them out... why wouldn't critters start venturing into the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom